June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Crush Rush

Dittoheads need prison terms.

June 30, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. Willow, from Iowa

I think she is a smart, caring person , and really pretty. I think she'd make a great First Lady, although I bet she does more than sit around at tea parties. She'll be an involved, interested First Lady.

Obama 08/12

June 30, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Independent-woman-4-Obama

Shawn from Georgia: I don't understand why you consider people who support Sen. Obama sheep, sir. Honestly. My husband & I both voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and lived to regret it. We are registered Independents who are supporting Sen. Obama. We do not worship him nor do we see him as a savior! Its an insult to be called "sheep."

We have done our homework, we don't vote one way (Republican or Democrat) without looking at ALL the facts. I wont spoon feed those like you who want us to answer "tell us what Mr. Obama plans to do..... " If you want to find out, go to his web site and READ up on all his plans and ideas!

And further more......... for ALL those supporting the Republicans again here are some FACTS that are the REASON WHY WE WONT...

MORE WAR, POSSIBLY WITH IRAN ISN'T $650 BILLION FOR THE WAR WITH IRAQ ENOUGH?

MORE WAR MEANS MORE OF OUR TROOPS DYING, BEING MAIMED OR COMING HOME SO DEPRESSED THAT THEY COMMIT SUICIDE

MORE NATIONAL DEBT, ISN'T $10 TRILLION OWED TO CHINA, DUBAI AND SAUDI ARABIA ENOUGH?

Our nation is in danger of being bankrupted but no one on the Republican side seems to be concerned. The only thing you people want is MORE OF THE SAME.

GOD WILLING OUR PEOPLE WONT BE FOOLED THIS TIME!

June 30, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. P. Morrison

IMHO Michelle Obama never needed to "change" anything. There is a vast difference in a woman and a "lady". Michelle is a "lady" all the way. She is an excellent role model for the young generation of today.

I believe the 5 yrs. the McCains were separated were when he was in Vietnam-while she was at home waiting for him. Maybe more research needs to be done-but I believe that is the truth. For all you McCain Dems. you need to visit vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain. If after the story re: Cindy and things on that site you can still support him, something is wrong with your mind.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08
    I hope this posts-lately some aren't!!

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. JB

I am a barack supporter, and truthfully, wasn't a huge fan. I tivo'd The View last week (the show is awful, but I was interested in seeing how she did), and, I gotta say. I REALLY LIKE HER!!!!!!

The GOP is going to go after her, expect it, but, hopefully people won't believe the fake stuff i.e. her saying "whitey"

That was a flat out lie. Don't believe it until you hear it or see it for yourself!!!!

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Tina

Not all Hillary supporters are interesting in both of them, Obama and his wife!

Hillary or McCain 08

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Denice, NY

Oh yes, she's a heck of a lot more interesting than Cindy, wake-me-up-and-tell-me-what-to-say McCain.

Michelle will make a wonderful first lady, inspite of the cruel, hateful campaign against her.

I can't wait to vote for Barack in November, and get that buffoon George Bush out of our White House.

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. William, from Cali!

Olivia, you should get a life; as interesting as Mrs. Obama, then maybe , you wouldn't be so "Bitter" with yours..........Don't hate!

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. not interesting to me

The divisive uniter's other half is even more divisive than he is.

Michelle exemplifies the true vitriol that has sickened the entire Obamanation with its nasty, filthy, vulgar, hate for other democrats who do not agree with them.

The hate is what divided the party and Michelle sure spews her fair share of antipathy for fellow Americans.

Michelle is hateful and spiteful.

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Margaret L

Why do you not present as many news reports on Cindy and John? Do I detect a strong bias?

June 30, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. dan

Bill, IL June 30th, 2008 12:45 pm ET

Michelle, If you and your lame "senator" husband cannot stay awake long enough to enjoy dinner AND a movie, I wonder how he'll be able to answer the 3 AM phone call once he's in the White House?

Hillary '12

If Hilliary gets so tired at 11 pm that she starts mistaked a peaceful landing and getting flowers from a little girl as being under attack from a sniper, I wont how she would be able to answer that 3 AM phone call if shes in the White House

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. Peter of Oregon

She's a real down-to-earth American. Every time she opens her mouth I can tell she's genuine and sincere.

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. KD

Intelligence and beauty–wow–we'll have a great first lady.

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  14. George

I wonder if her political schooling she just came from told her how to say she is proud of her country with a smile and act like she means it??????

She still has not answered how she can stay in a hate filled church for 20 years and not be affected????? She has alot of questions to be answered. But not as many as Barack.

As Clark put it. He is untested, not experienced in leadership. Some thought he was talking about McCain.... He words spoke right to O'Bama.

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Richard

Michelle you will make a lousy FIRST LADY!!!!! It start with you mouth. You are arrogant like your Husband.

Hillary supporter for McCain!

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. start with her

If Obama believes his own hype, he should change his wife and hope for a new one.

That is change we can all believe in.

June 30, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Ross

Okay, so if I'm getting this right...

A) If I don't vote for Obama, I'm racist.
    B) If I have issues with his wife – or anything she's said publicly – I'm a "hater".

Please. What a load.

I'd vote for Colin Powell in an instant. Frankly, I'd vote for Condoleezaa Rice. I keep hoping that McCain will name her as his running mate.

Tacking labels – particularly those involving racism or "hate" on anyone who doesn't agree with you – has become SOP for the so-called "democratic" party.

And calling this kind of tabloid-inspired garbage "news" is below the standards CNN should set.

June 30, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. catjax

you are absolutely right !! Is that why you're trying to be Jackie Kennedy.? don't even waste your breath..

June 30, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. Sam WNC

She is a wonderful and very intelligent lady and she is a benefit to the campaign. The old mens club...I mean the Republicans...can't handle it when a women stands up for her country and what she believes in.

June 30, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm not jealous, I wish it were me. Love you Michelle.

June 30, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Dennis

Who are these people kidding, what a bunch of sappy words. and people just fall for it, read what they stand for, what they want, and how they want to change the US, and then tell me how you feel about the sappy words they say.

June 30, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. therealist

I can totally relate....

Average people living average lives. The only real excitment is getting home from work and going to church on Sundays, oh wait...

June 30, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  23. Time to move on

Go Michelle we love you and your family.The true American family.
    OBAMA 08

June 30, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Why so much hate!

OH My Sarah you need to breathe? Pivot to the issues and you may actually start breathing. All this hate must be making you sick... I hope you have health insurance. You may need it!

June 30, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  25. Ed North Carolina

I somewhat agree wth the response above. There are still many questions related to their church affliliation unanswered for me to be too comfortable with her. It appears she is working hard to give the appearance of being normal, but then again there is nothing normal about the McCains. Wonder what they do with Cindy's millions. I think the options open to the Obamas have more in common with real folks so that can't help but help their image.

June 30, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |