June 30th, 2008

Michelle Obama: We aren't interesting

Michelle Obama.
Michelle Obama.

(CNN) – Her husband may be running for the most powerful job in the world, but Michelle Obama says the couple’s lives are as boring as anyone else's.

"Barack and I don't have interesting lives, never did," the potential first lady told USA Today in comments published Monday. "We're basically family people. When we go on a date, it's either dinner or a movie because we can't stay awake for both."

The comments come as the Obama campaign has sought to soften Mrs. Obama's image among many voters who are less familiar with the Illinois senator’s outspoken wife. The campaign has retooled her stump speech to include more details about her family and humble upbringing on Chicago's South Side.

Watch: Michelle Obama's new image

She also made a recent high-profile appearance on the daytime talk show "The View," and graced last week's cover of U.S. Weekly under the banner headline, "Why Barack loves her."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Beca

That is why the campaign is boring now, where is Hillary????

June 30, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Michelle Wins

Dear Olivia,

Not only can I compare Michelle to Hillary, I can say with certainty that she will be a BETTER first lady. Why–because she is not selfish and self-centered. She doesn't use people and finally, Olivia, she's not a liar.

By the way, have you given towards Hillary's vanity debt, yet?

June 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. Santiago

When is she coming to Georgia? I will pay $2300 (max for campaign contribution) to meet with her. I have a few other hard working friends that are interested also.

For all of you Mrs. Obama haters, your opinions are not based on fact.

June 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  4. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Let's compare, shall we?

Cindy McCain – Bubble-headed, bleach-blonde who inherited money and a trophy wife for McBush.

Michelle Obama – a lawyer with plenty of smarts!

'Nuf said?!

June 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. Sue

You interest many of us only to wonder if you really will get your chance to destroy our culture.

June 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. IndependentGA

For all of you bittered folks that refuse to vote for Obama.
    It's your choice. Vote as you wish. I know I'm not voting for a man that left his ill wife for a babe. That in itself is dispicable. Not to mention the issues. McCain has no character. Any man that would leave his sick wife is not the type of man I want in the White House.

See how stupid that sounds. Neither candidate is perfect. ANd neither are we. We all have flaws. If we spent 24 hrs a day and 7 days a week cleaning the dirt and trash from off of ur front porches, we wouldnt hav time to look at other people's porch.
    When are we going to wise up and stop denegrating people with whom we disagree with? It's childish as well as idiotic. It was stupidity like that which allowed terrorist to attack us on 9/11. Bickering and acting stupid, taking our attention away from the real enemies and threats that our country face. What a bunch of losers!

June 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. Was a Democrat

I believe everyone has the right to his or her opinion, but I honestly cannot see why anyone thinks Michelle Obama is beautiful. I do not know if it is because I think she is a hateful woman who subjected her children to racist filth at Trinity United and it clouds my judgment, but I do not see her as attractive at all. I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

PUMA!!!

June 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

The real truth is the both of you are the 2 most boring and insipid people on the planet...

June 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. rosey

after reading some of the comments posted... all i can say is God Bless America... cause we really need it. i'm also hurt by the fact that people are making such personal and hateful comments about a woman that they really don't know. unlike the clintons who have been in the media spot light for years (so we know all about their dirt), no one really knows a lot about the obamas... so it becomes easier to insinuate, guess, speculate, or just plain make things up... i'm saddened by the state of our union... and i think we need a change... God Bless you all...

June 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. RGiles

She seems real which is a refreshing change.

June 30, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Jen P

I am so sick of people quoting the right-wing talking heads and saying that Michele Obama is racist based on a thesis she wrote when she was in her early twenties. If you lazy Limbaugh heads would actually read the thesis, you would see that it was indeed about race but not at all racist. The closest thing to a racist comment was a quote from another Princeton grad explaining his views. It was not her thoughts, but a quote that has pulled out to feed uneducated people this line of crap.

Lazy people that get their "facts" solely based on what a third party tells them is true should step out of the conversation until they dig a little deeper.

JP

June 30, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. katiec

You so called Democrats and you puma members are an
    embarressment to the American voters. We care about
    the future of our country and are intelligent enough to
    realize we cannot have four more years of Bush or
    the republicans. You hatred, outlandish statements,
    lack of concern for your country disgusts me to no end.
    You are degrading yourselves.
    For you the quote "It is better to be thought a fool than
    speak out and remove all doubts" applies.

June 30, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. kathleen

To all the nasty comments regarding Obama not be able to answer the phone at 3:00 a.m. if he can't stay awake for a dinner and a movie -Obama will be doing the same thing anyone elected president will be doing at 3:00 am – sleeping. If you have nothing intelligent to contribute – please do everyone a favor and just go away.

June 30, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. political junkie

Not interesting? You've got that right...
    Finally something I can agree with you on...

June 30, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. JWR

I like Mrs. Obama's outspokenness, and am sad to see her being re-packaged.

June 30, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. disgusted in Fl

Michelle Obama is correct in identifying herself as a bore. She can re-tool her image all she wants. I've read and seen enough of her to peg her for what she really is: a thinly-veiled racist with an agenda. She will undoubtedly cause even more racial diviseveness with her big mouth should her husband get elected.

June 30, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. Michelle Rocks

Dear Aleida,

I'm sure you do hate Michelle. She's refreshing because she honestly wants to make a difference in people's lives. She's not some vacuous Barbie doll, who's afraid of her husband, and she's not a greedy, power hungry she-male who is selfish, and thinks only of herself. Michelle is real, and just what the people need, after 7 years of lies.

I suggest you take your meds because it's going to be a very long 4 years for you.

Obama 08

June 30, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Happy Day in PA

First of all, Enomisa – get your facts straight. Barack gave Hilary $4600 – $2300 from him and $2300 from Michelle. That is the maximum they can give her under federal law.

Like Michelle, I'm an Ivy League educated African American female lawyer, and I totally understand and agree with Michelle's comment about it being the first time she was proud of her country. That doesn't make us racist – it makes us honest. America has done some despicable things in its short history, most of which centered on white males exercising their self-perceived dominance over women and people of color. And those attitudes still exist today – just look at some of the posts on this blog. "Rode affirmative action to a degree from Princeton"?!? People making comments like that, which I'm sure she's heard her entire life, don't exactly make your heart swell up with pride.

And that's not to say that America is not a great country or that we don't love it, it’s just hard to be PROUD of it. Like when your kid gets arrested for DUI or drug possession. Are you proud? Of course not. Do you still love her? Of course. Do you hope and pray she does better? Absolutely. Do you want to be able to be proud of her? YES. That is what it is like to be black in America. Despite the wrongs that you have heard about from ancestors and experienced yourself, you are still full of love for your country and hope for a better tomorrow. And with the candidacy of Barack Obama, that hope shines a little brighter and the feeling that maybe, just maybe, America has turned the corner and is able to see beyond skin color becomes more and more of a reality. And that does make me proud.

June 30, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. Jeff

Oh wait, everyone dislikes the REAL me, so I'll make up another REAL me...one people will like. PUH-lease.

I'll vote for your husband because this country cannot take another 4 years of a Republican president; but please, just be quiet.

June 30, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. UNKNOWN

Who's fault is that?

June 30, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. Anita from Arizona

SHAWN, GA

Obama has spelled out his plan for this country on his website. He has my vote regarding the issues at hand. You have to do your own research regarding the candidates. Noone on CNN or any other media outlet is going to do that for you. Obama supporters, like myself, are intellegent enough to know McCain is not the president we need at all. He is the same as Bush. Yes, I've done that research too.

June 30, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. smarter

just fyi for the idiots who think he wont be able to get the 3:00am phone call...a lot of us americans go to sleep but do wake up when the phone rings. unless of course you r the idiot who couldnt wake up when in the silence of the night the phone rings. now, that is an idiot.

June 30, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. I'll Take It

After 8 years of lies, lies, and more lies–give me boring. I'll take it.

Barack and Michelle Obama, and those darling girls–08.

June 30, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. UNKNOWN

Who's fault is that? You do it to yourself by putting on so many restrictions.

June 30, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |