June 30th, 2008

Obama notes working class roots in new ad

Obama is out with a new ad Monday.

Obama is out with a new ad Monday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign announced the release of its second general election television ad Monday, a 30-second spot designed to highlight his working-class roots and economic agenda as he ends his three-week economy tour but continues his efforts to woo that key Democratic constituency.

Watch: Obama courts working women

The campaign said ‘Dignity’ will air in 18 states, including perennial blue-collar battlegrounds like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio, and some traditionally Republican areas where the presumptive Democratic nominee is hoping to compete in this fall, like Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia.

“He worked his way through college and Harvard Law,” says the announcer. “Turned down big money offers, and helped lift neighborhoods stung by job loss.”

The ad will begin airing Monday in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia.

Earlier this month, the Obama campaign’s first ad of the general election highlighted his patriotism and values.

(Full script after the jump)

SCRIPT – “Dignity”

OBAMA: I’m Barack Obama, and I approve this message.

Announcer: He worked his way through college and Harvard Law.

Turned down big money offers, and helped lift neighborhoods stung by job loss. Fought for workers’ rights.

He passed a law to move people from welfare to work, slashed the rolls by eighty percent. Passed tax cuts for workers; health care for kids.

As president, he’ll end tax breaks for companies that export jobs, reward those that create jobs in America.

And never forget the dignity that comes from work.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. monicah in indiana

President Obama

We are rooting and voting for you

June 30, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. Chut Pata

I worked on an Exxon gas station while I was a student, slipped on an oil spill, and broke my tail bone. I should be declared an "Oil Hero" and Exxon share holders should elect me the president of Exxon. I hope McCain supports me on that.

June 30, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. Charlene, Henderson Nevada

I am indeed impressed that Senator. Obama has chosen the high road once again, even though others seem to take the low road. If Senator Mc Cain keeps taking the low road, Senator Obama's lead will double and the Republicans will not have a snowball's chance in he_ _ come November!!

June 30, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Anita from Arizona

The Rezko Connection is a joke. Obama donated the money to charity as soon as the whole thing was found out. That's why you haven't heard anything about it. The Affirmation is a joke too. You got nothing at all GOP!!!!

June 30, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. William, from Cali!

We, that are still living; we all have a "Jaded" past, that got us to this point, in our lives'...........my deepest felt concern is ,"My future"; from "this point, on"..........................and beyond 1/20/2009.

June 30, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. jayne-mo

In one man we see a clear vision for change. Although the road will be long and hard…Surrender to no one because we believe in America!!!

Good luck to Senator Clinton and her supporters.
    God Bless America.

June 30, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Formally Women in California for Obama-Now I Am Just Looking On:

Sounds good to me. I like the ad. Many of you putting Obama down would never give up the opportunity to make lots of money and work the streets. That goes to his character and what kind of president he would make.

Since I was not able to respond to Gen. Clark's statement in the last ticker, I'll do it now. Obama needs to stop apologizing for everything everyone says. The truth is McWar is not fit for POTUS. I am glad it was a white man who turned down his nose on McWar the same as he has been doing to Obama. He has never given Obama any respect during this campaign (I think he feels he doesn't have to). While McWar should be given full respect for his military service that DOES NOT mean he can do and say anything without getting called out about it. My advice is learn to deal with it. Obama has.

June 30, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

This Shows Obama Has The Experience And Judgement To Be President! Mccain Is Not Qualified! He Lacks Judgement!

June 30, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Young Voter

We need a strong, experienced leader with grit.
    No, it's not Obama.
    No, it's not even John McCain (though he's better than BO)
    Bob Barr 08.

There are three parties in it, now.

June 30, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Ben in San Diego

I've never donated to a campaign before... but Obama keeps inspiring me... today marks the 3 month in a row... I can't afford much... but Obama is my hope for a better America.

June 30, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Soba, Clifton, NJ

Senator Obama,
    Grow a pair and back General Clark on his comment on McCain. He is absolutely right.

Senator McCain,
    Thank you McCain for your service, now you can go back home. Just what do you think qualifies you over any other veteran who is hurt or tortured? Is it because your dad and grand dad were admirals? Is it the special treatment you received from your prisoners for the same reasons? Is it because you gave away critical military information that compromised your fellow veterans' safety in Vietnam? This is treason, by the way. There are many more qualified people who have served who will make much better president. What is the experience that you tout all the time?

June 30, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Obama-Junkie, IL

Good summer general election ad from the Obama campaign. Just tell the truth and dispute the lies and Obama will be fine.

YES WE CAN!

June 30, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Go Obama

McBush is a flip flopper on the issues and on his wives. No need to bring up his military history. Yes he was a POW. He's the only one around old enough to remember D-Day from personal experience! That is not a selling point! His personal/campaign flip flops and old age tell the unflattering story about him.

June 30, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Oops

I love the spam-bots that are on here (most have been proven to come from the same IP address). Too bad they are not real voters and just posting smear tactics. Shameful that people have no values themselves. At least stick to the topic at hand... don't believe the smears!

Clark is right in challenging why McCain being a POW makes him qualified to be Commander in Chief. The only thing that makes a good Commander in Chief to me is judgment. McCain has shown poor judgment and worse when it comes to the economy (the real topic)... I don't understand why republicans think they make for betters CIC and play the fear card.

June 30, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. jose

The real geneous Spirit of America!

June 30, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. BelovedMother

I realize that is not the forum for this comment, but, there was no where else to write this. I don't understand what the big commotion is about what Clark said. I have been saying for months that while being a POW is admirable it does not qualify you to be president! Cafferty maybe you can ask this question on your blog!

June 30, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. TeamObama

Within minutes we should start hearing the Republican attack machine. They are very afraid of this guy…..he represents everything they are dead set against… such as honesty, integrity accountability, etc.

They don't really have anything on him other than the fact he's Africa-American. Pay attention and note the various codes and such they use to remind whitey.

Did you see the McBush speech last evening…….it was pathetic.

June 30, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. Belle2

He keeps talking about all the rumors that are not true. How about some specifics!! He was out of the country during much of his childhood. If he did not attend a Muslim school (I am willing to believe him), what school did he attend? What church (if any) did he attend as a child? You do not refute anything by simply saying it is not so, you say what is true if you want someone to believe you. But Obama is God and we must just believe him. Obama's speeches are just koolAid. I don't care if he is Muslim-but I see not reason to deny it or insult other Muslims (remember the women he removed from behind his podium) because you do not want detractors. No more ads or speeches; we need facts and specifics.

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Jeb

There seems to be a new republican attack point – here's an example

"Sure Obama rejects those comments. He always has his surrogates to do his dirty work so that he can look lilly white. What a hypocrite he is"

I've read this same point several times today and they practically use the same wording. Is this the best you people have?

By the way, Google "songbird McCain"

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. Phil, FL

CNN takes blogs from Iranians but not Americans.

When did you all change countries?

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Former GOP

Obama can relate to most American more so then McCain. Obama did not blame the people who were losing there homes to foreclosure, he understood that the just maybe the banks had something to do with it. But not McCain he blamed the people saying that they were not responsible enough to own a home. I find that funny coming from a man who lives off his wife’s family money!

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. Michelle

To Sue and to all other Michigan and Florida voters:

Please keep in mind that it was YOUR STATE LEGISLATURE that moved up the primary date. Please stop blaming Obama or the DNC because YOUR STATE LEGISLATOR broke the rules. Vote against your current state legislators and remove the individuals that caused all the mess.

Democrats Unit!!!

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. dilipkumar

I am surprised that Southside of Chicago is still the same (if not worst) today and back then when I lived in Chicago in 1991. I thought somebody is doing something there. Pehaps, I guessed it wrong.

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. Justmyopinion2008

Great ! So that those who wanted to believe all those crap about"elitism" would have any excuse not to think twice and re-examine their conscience. If they still want to continue on the same track, then it is obvious to them that they are fully informed, so their reasons is somethingelse which they alone can resolve by themselves!

June 30, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. al in memphis

In the early days of this country (before the president was the considered the leader of the free world) , the reason for wanting this position was very different. In those days, it was not hard to believe a person wanted that position because they felt a strong desire to contribute to the growth of this country and its citizens.
    We can see some of that in Obama.

Message from voters to all politicans– this country is still by the people for the people, not the special interest

June 30, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |