July 1st, 2008

Powell meets with McCain and Obama

Powell recently sat down with both presidential candidates.
Powell recently sat down with both presidential candidates.

(CNN) - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who remains a popular figure among Democrats and Republicans, recently sat down with both presidential candidates, CNN has confirmed.

The Hotline first reported the meeting earlier Tuesday.

According to an associate of Powell, the former Bush administration member and onetime chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had "pleasant, private conversations" recently with both Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain. An Obama campaign source confirms the Illinois senator recently met with Powell. McCain's campaign has not returned a request for comment.

Watch: Powell says he's undecided

Powell has long praised Obama's candidacy and he told reporters recently in Vancouver he "would listen carefully to what both [candidates] have to say" before deciding whom to support.

1. Clinton Supporter

Now THAT would be a dynamite ticket!

McCain/Powell 08

UNBEATABLE!

July 1, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  2. svp

I will be surprised if Powell supports McCain. He has to support Obama..This will be a blow to the already weakened Republican party. Powell may very well become an independant if he does that than be a republican and support Obama...Oh, well.. who cares anymore..

July 1, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. icon

i respect Powell a lot. way to go? OBAMA!!!

July 1, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  4. Helen

People this is how a dream ticket could look in my eyes.

Obama/ Powell 08"

July 1, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. Can we just be American?

Interesting.... now wouldn't it be cool if Powell becomes apart of Obama Team? He would cross party lines to get a great person to support his efforts.... Gee talk about a dream team :0)

July 1, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. KJ

Colin Powell lost all credibility when he held up the fake "yellow cake" and fake pictures of WMD's at the United Nations in the lead up the Iraq War. He coulda been a contender. No more. Powell should have spoken out then, now it's too little, too late. Who cares what he thinks anymore???

July 1, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. Ian

He has listened long enough. It's time he picked a side. LEFT SIDE that is....

July 1, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Powell would be an attractive VP choice for either one of them.

July 1, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  9. Ikem Umealo

Colin Powell is one of the few people in America whom i believe their judgement will be based purely on merit and ability rather than on colour, race or friendship. I acknowledge how difficult it would be for this great American hero to declare his support for either candidate and at the same time escape criticism. But I am at home with whatever decision he makes.

July 1, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. sarah

please general powell, please stay away from the hot air vendor and stick with the senator from arizona. you would be the perfect v.p. for president mccain. ppplllleeeaaase dont get mixed up with obama just because he is black. you are worth so much more than he is.

July 1, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. Willow, from Iowa

I would love to see C. Powell as Obama's VP. Do you think it would be too soon? If Colin Powell were running for President as a Republican I'd vote for him. I hope he supports Obama.

Obama 08/12

July 1, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. Marcus

I do not think we will see him as a VP, but I do have to say that if Obama does not win the presidency, we will indeed be hurting for the next 4 years.

July 1, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. Gary from Madison, WI

Colin Powell would be a HUGE boost to McCain's campaign, and all three of these men know it. After the way Powell has been treated by the GOP (more specifically the Bush Administration), I doubt he will re-enter politics for the Republicans. The fact that a prominent and well liked Republican like Sec. Powell has not outright endorsed his party's candidate does not bode well for McCain.

If Powell does endorse Obama, the GOP will definitely pull out the race card early in the campaign.

In the end, Powell would make an excellent candidate for VP for either Obama or McCain.

July 1, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Steve

Powell doesn't want to be VP. But wouldn't it be nice if Obama hired him for a job in his administration, so that Powell could redeem himself for what he did in the Bush administration? As far as I'm concerned, he's the only one in that bunch who even deserves a chance to redeem himself.

July 1, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Women In California For Obama

Colin Powell is very intelligent. Watch him make an intelligent choice. He doesn't want McCain for a friend or a president.

July 1, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. Charlotte

Obama supporters best pray Powell doen't become McCains VP. it would be a smart move on Powells part considering McCains age and all. Powell could be the first Black President. Wouldn't that be a hoot. I could vote for Powell, not Obama...I will write Hillary on my ballot in November...unless???

July 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  17. Vivienne

What would be great if we had Jim Webb, Chuck Hagel and Colin Powell all part of the Obama Administration. That would be really great. I hope it happens.

July 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. Jagtar Shergill

If Mr. Powel Endorse Obama and regret invading Iraq, I think that will be significant plus for Obama.

July 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. Annette, Washington, DC

Gen. Powell, go with your heart and then add your wisdom...in that order:-)

July 1, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. Abdi

Obama! stay away from Powel. We already had Bush/Powell. NO Obama/Powel for O8. I don't care if he runs as McCain vp. They are loosing anyway.

July 1, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Lynn

I use to adore Colin Powell and I would have voted for him as President anyday. I believe him when he went to the UN and what he said about Iraq. I drink the koolaid about Iraq because Colin Powell said it. But still not enough to ever vote for Bush. Now we all know the truth. So when I think of Powell I think of the UN Speech. How sad. I wish he would write a book about Bush. It would be Number 1 bestseller.

July 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  22. Lisa

Powell is saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". I'm for Obama!

July 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. saga for Obama

remember Collin...it was the Republicans that THREW YOU UNDER THE BUS...you can come into the room, but you cant sit.
    you can sit but you cant eat, you can eat...but you have to clean the house when your done...
    Collin dont trust a Repub... they voted for Bush twice and see where that got us

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Phil

No, Powell would not be a great VP. He has a little credibility issue. Remember the WMD presentation? He is a great man and was sold down the river by the criminal Bush administration, but do you think anyone else in the world would believe him the next time he stands and makes a case for anything?

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |