July 1st, 2008

Powell meets with McCain and Obama

Powell recently sat down with both presidential candidates.
Powell recently sat down with both presidential candidates.

(CNN) - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who remains a popular figure among Democrats and Republicans, recently sat down with both presidential candidates, CNN has confirmed.

The Hotline first reported the meeting earlier Tuesday.

According to an associate of Powell, the former Bush administration member and onetime chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff had "pleasant, private conversations" recently with both Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain. An Obama campaign source confirms the Illinois senator recently met with Powell. McCain's campaign has not returned a request for comment.

Watch: Powell says he's undecided

Powell has long praised Obama's candidacy and he told reporters recently in Vancouver he "would listen carefully to what both [candidates] have to say" before deciding whom to support.

1. Sherry

I have the utmost respect for Colin Powell, he saw the truth in how egotistical and inane Bush was and left his post. It would be one powerful ticket if Powell was V.P.....With his military experience and both their level heads America once again would prosper and heal from the last eight years of total havoc that Bush has put our country in

July 1, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. Peter E

If Obama runs as the VP of Powell I might reconsider voting for him. Otherwise my vote is still for Ron Paul. Change you can TRUST in!

July 1, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. Stacey, California

I like McCain, but i don't think he has a chance of winning Powell as his VP. Listen, Powell jumped off the Bush wagon,so i don't think he's waiting for the McBush one. I'm almost convinced he would strongly consider VP'in for Obama if asked.

July 1, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  4. Willy

Powell who?

July 1, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. William Lynch

I don't understand the facination with Colin Powell. He thought that the Iraq war was a bad idea, but he didn't have the integrity to resign. That is disappointing. Other people can claim that they were hoodwinked into supporting the war. Powell had the facts, but he lacked the courage to stand up to Bush and Rumsfeld.

July 1, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. mccormack in thailand

powell's wife would not let him run for pres... why would she let him be vp where one day he might have to step into the top job? still it would be a great ticket. powell is greatly respested in this country, in the world, even though he made that awful presentation for the bushies at the UN a few years ago so bush and cheney could go to war in iraq.

July 1, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  7. Concerned Citizen of America 08

I have a lot of respect for Gen Colin Powell, but I really wish he had resigned when he figured out he was being used. He warned them, his testimony in the 9/11 Commission report was very telling, but the media never picked up on it because they didn't want to. I wouldn't mind seeing him in an Obama adminstration.

July 1, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. SlovioPHL

That sounds like a nice ticket, Obama/Powell, but does anyone remember him defending those images of WMAs in Iraq? I know...he had no choice but to support Bush...and he was eventually betrayed by the administration, but in no way would he bring any "change" to this place we all know and love, just a lot of baggage that will cause more distractions.

July 1, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. Aaron

Colin Powell was a great man until he went down the wrong path supporting the disasterous invasion of Iraq. He knew it would be a disaster. He'd been in combat, unlike the Bush chickenhawks, and he correctly advised Bush senior not to go to Bagdad in the Gulf War.
    He was the one person who could have stood up to Bush and told the American people the truth. He had the clout and the credentials to stop this war before it began, but he drank the coolaid and promoted this blood-fest. To run with Colin Powell would be to run with a war criminal in my opinion, and it would I will not vote for a war criminal.

July 1, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  10. Oakland for Obama

Are you kidding me, if Powel becomes VP, this country will turn around 180 degree. I love to see 2 great people leading this country, they both are smart, and ready to change the country around.

July 1, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  11. Some White Dude

Nicely said Foreign observer. America is now starting to realize that black people are just like everyone else. But these are two extrodinary men who had to work very hard and swallow a lot of pride to get to where they are. The one thing they both have going for them is the fact they’ve based their careers on doing a good job. I feel bad for what Bush did to Powell. But he still is a tested war hero, from private to general, a world diplomat, and a successful military strategist. Obama taught constitutional law and was a community organizer. Bush was head cheerleader in high school and destroyed three oil companies. And America still voted for him. I'm looking for someone who will do a good job for this country. I don't care if he's purple.

July 1, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  12. Calvin King

Selecting Powell as Obama VP would definitely sum up Obama patriotism...

July 2, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |