July 2nd, 2008

Amid concern, shakeup at McCain campaign

Schmidt is taking over day-to-day operations in the McCain campaign.
Schmidt is taking over day-to-day operations in the McCain campaign.

(CNN) – John McCain’s campaign announced a shakeup at the top Wednesday, in the wake of growing Republican concern about its ability to compete against Barack Obama.

Campaign Manager Rick Davis said Tuesday morning that senior adviser Steve Schmidt would take over day-to-day operations of the campaign. The Bush campaign veteran will report to Davis, but the rest of the campaign will report to Schmidt, who will be in charge of everything from message and communications, to the political structure and organization to scheduling.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. william spivey

McSame you need to keep changing. Who is Mr On and why do you ignore him in your life?

July 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. College Student, Sokane, WA

Barack will win in November. He is too strong and McCain is too weak. This will be a huge turning point in the right direction for our country. Good news, good news...

OBAMA / ANYONE '08

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  3. Terry

Just say no to McCain in the fall.

Obama 08

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. USAF Staff Sergeant

Instead of thinking about how they can better present McCain, or get his message across to the American people better, their goal is to compete with Obama.

That's what I'm looking for in a President..... how well does he stack up against Obama? His ideals and plans for the country mean nothing....

Perhaps if they tried to campaign in a way that shows McCain in a better light, they would do better than simply attacking Obama.

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Obama for President

I don't believe ANYBODY can help this campaign! He's been around too long, is too polluted with the Washington landscape and is way too close to this administration's continued failed policies of the past 7-1/2 years. It's more than time for CHANGE, it should've happened in 2004 but that's now history. All we can do is go forward, which DOESN'T include looking back at McBush!

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Sit tight

The more people see of the hypocritical, position changing, pandering. unqualified to lead, Obama- the less they like him.

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Jerry

Now, I start to believe that McCain is running for a third term of Bush. How can he surround himself with Bush's people?

July 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. Zaco

By the way, last Sen Lieberman predicted another terrorist attack in 09. Why would that be relevant for M. X to be president since we already know there will be an attack according to Joe

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. Abby

Obama had the judgment to get the right people around him the first time. This type of move, changing those at the top and creating uncertainty, is a sure way to shake yup the morale of your people and a sure way to lose. This is great for Obama.

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. John

Read my lips, Not gonna help...Obama 08/12, by the largest margin in recorded history, you can quote me on that.

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  11. Noah

Whatever McCain has to do to prepare for his inevitable defeat in November is fine with me.

GOBAMA 2008!!!

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. cheating

If Obama wins- it will be by force and by threat and by cheating.

That is how he trashed Hillary and got himself installed as the nominee.

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. EMEKA EMERI

I do not see how this is going to help McCain

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  14. RickytheGriff

It's all gone, John McCain.

Thank you, and goodnight.

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Kiah

Yeah I guess you would need some more of that Bush magic flowing through those doors of change you keep talking about in order to actually have any shot at winning.

I seem to recall another candidate who had alot of changes throughout the primaries in order to increase their chances at winning an already LOST battle.

Good luck!

Obama '08!

July 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

I seem to recall Hillary doing something very similar....just before she lost to Barack. McCain is loosing using the Bush/Rove playbook and will lose using Hillary's campaign book!

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  17. Daniel

A veteran Bush Advisor to lead John McSame's campaign... but he is not a Bush 3rd term.... right. What's next Karl Rove coming to the McCain Camp too. Bigger mistake after mistake... is it November yet? Because we are ready for change.

Obama 08 and 12!!!

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. Anna, SW Missouri

So much for distancing himself from Bush! I suspect McCain's comments this morning about being in Columbia due to the drug trafficking wasn't something that Schmidt came up with since polls show most people think free trade is hurting Americans. :)

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. smart40

Too bad the McCain campaign can't replace John McCain. That would make it more competative.

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Work for it

Appeal to the DEMS that can not vote for Obama after the way he ran his negative campaign of hate against fellow democrats and the other candidate of his own party.

We won't reward that UGLY- with our votes.

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. Michelle, PA

I'm sorry Senator, but your campaign structure is the least of your problems. I highly suggest having one of your aides put together two lenghty videos – one of coverage from multiple sources (from left and right) of your 2000 run, an identical one from this campaign so far, and have you watch the two back to back. You might be unpleasantly surprised by what you see in that mirror. I know I am.

July 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  22. Tommy Lee

The 'selling' of McBush to America will be a dirty campaign filled with one liners like Bush used.

McCain had my support in 2000 and would have been better than Bush–but this John McBush is not the same man that ran in 2000.

He is no 'maverick' he is changing everything he can to try and win. His lobbyist filled staff and personal and business connections to the infamous Charles Keating and the S&L scandal make McBush a very dangerous choice for becoming the most powerful person in the world.

John McCain I thank you for your suffering in Vietnam. I thank you for trying to burst the George W. bubble unsuccessfully in 2000. I thank you for some of the things you have done in the senate.

I do thank you for those things but you have not earned and you are not right to be President. The much different McCain in 2000 had my vote and support. This new McBush is not the man I supported back then.

July 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  23. Hispanic, Female for Hillary

McCain 08........Hillary 12

July 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  24. Ba'Rock the Vote

McDud can shake, rattle, and roll his campaign into concession RIGHT NOW for all anyone with sense cares. There's no way he wins the presidency with the country being in such a dilapitated state at the hands of republicans fools the past 8 years. Get out there and BA'ROCK THE VOTE.

Obama Baby!!!!!!!

July 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  25. Tyrone

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the same course that the Clintons took in being defeated by Obama. shake up at the top...Money issues.... Combustion......

Obama 08