July 2nd, 2008

Cafferty: How should McCain deal with Bush’s negatives?

Many Americans are worried that a John McCain presidency would be just like another term of George Bush.

Two thirds of Americans are concerned that McCain would pursue policies too similar to President Bush according to a new USA Today/Gallup poll. 49 percent say they are "very concerned."

This creates a real dilemma for McCain. The conservative Republican base is less than thrilled with McCain as the GOP nominee. And that's where the few remaining people who think President Bush is doing a good job reside.

McCain can't separate himself too much from Mr. Bush or conservative Republicans will tell him to take a hike. But if he doesn't separate from Bush, he's going to have trouble attracting those voters who think President Bush is the worst thing to happen to this country in a good long while. And there are lots of those.

A new Wall Street Journal-NBC News poll focuses on President Bush's disapproval rating and the unprecedented role it could play in the campaign. None of this is good news for McCain.

To read more and contribute to the Cafferty File discussion click here

Filed under: The Cafferty File
  1. Chuck

Jack,

McCain voted for Bush policies 95% of the time. He is Bush, so he's trying to deceive voters into thinking that he is not.

July 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  2. Bob Oliver

Jack – one small quibble.

It is not the "conservative Republican base" where the few remaining people who think President Bush is doing a good job reside. It's the jingoistic Republican base who remain loyal. There's a difference.

Genuine conservative Republicans have long recognized George W for what he is - an incompetent fraud.

July 2, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Raj Patel

Bush/McCain, pack up the bags and take long vacation. My advise to all Republican senators and House membaers too. In 8 years this country has suffered devastating set back which I can't describe in words. Main reason is war against oil producing country. Now you see the destruction. President Bush and senator John McCain are absolutely negative from head to tow. One wants more troops in Afghnisatan and one wants to keep military in Iroq(To win war). Both are sick and their supporters too.

July 2, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Jeff - Illinois

I know! I know! Quit copying failed Neocon policies. A true Maverick, a true Patriot, would do the right thing, even as his masters attempt to influence him otherwise. Actually, come to think of it, a true Maverick would have any puppet strings at all....would he now?

July 2, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. Michaleen fromOH

With Obama and McCain polling so close, it looks like he dosen't need to worry about it. And with the price of gas going up, and the right feeding us the off shore drilling B.S. he may not need Bush or anybody else. People really think more oil equals lower gas prices. Just proves the point that addicts only think in the moment and not too clearly at that.

July 2, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. Big Bill from Brooklyn

Accept the good with the bad and the ugly. America has not been attacked since 911. Stock market is down, but inflation so far remains tame. And the price of oil will come down by November because it always comes down after the driving season. Worse mistake McCain could make is to do what Gore did in dissing Clinton. Look what it got him?

July 2, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. Rich

McCain should jump ship and run as VP on Obama's ticket.

July 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Pamela Damm

Drop out!!

July 2, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Michael

Easy. Sit back and cede the election to Obama and buy a beer from his wife.

July 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Leslie

McCain could drop out of the race now for "unspecified reasons" and throw his support to Ron Paul. Paul is about as far removed from Bush's policies as you are going to get.

July 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Joe Chicago

He should just campaign with Bush. Save us another 4 years of bad policies. it's time for a change and this guy ain't it!

July 2, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Dale

McShame is fully out of touch with America, yesterday he was saying the only Americans affected by the $4+/gallon gas were the poor since they drive old gas guzzeling cars. I make 75K a year and drive a 2001 small truck – i suffer with this extra $100 or more each month that bush and his cronies (mcCronie) have stolen from my wallet. He is so out of touch, gas prices are of no concern to him when his rich rich rich rich wife lets him fly her pvt jet , when she's not out shopping at tiffany for a new bobble...

July 2, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. Jerry

McCain another Bush, we do not need a warhead president

July 2, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Tony

It appears that McCain didn't inherit Bush's all of weaknesses. I can't ever remember Bush physically attacking someone in a foreign policy meeting like McCain did.

July 2, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. CITIZENS FOR AMERICA FIRST

HOW CAN HE BE DIFFERENT, IF HE IS THE SAME??

WE DO NOT KNOW.

July 2, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Frantz (Atlanta)

I think McCain should just admit that he is the 3rd Bush in waiting and campaign using the exact same platform. By doing this, he would energize the base and pick-off the Obama-hater votes. Hey, this platform got Bush elected twice. Why not a third time?

I know Bush is extremely unpopular. However, if Bush was running against Obama, would he still win?

If yes, then Americans have nothing to complain about.

July 2, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Steve

He should reach out to Democrats while not alienating his Republican base. That will be difficult, but McCain is already a maverick. He will not continue the same Bush policies. They will be similar, but more bipartistan and something that will actually lead to progress.

July 2, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. MJG, Colorado

John Cindy McCain is a synonym for Georger W. Bush.

So McCain can never separate himself from Bush.

It is just the same person.

The embrace each other´s policies.

July 2, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. cjr

George and John – same person. same mind set. Why would anyone even consider a 3rd Bush term.?

If he wins, there is something terribly wrong with this country and i would seriously think of leaving. if any of you have young men and women be prepared for the draft. McCain will not hesitate to send them to Iran, Iraq, and any where else he can start a war. Africa is on the horizon.

July 2, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. Greg form Mechanicsburg PA

Pick the one you want or don't choose any of my comments for inclusion in your on air show. I know that you guys really do read the blog entries and I am happy with that.

As an aside:

I am a well educated (MS in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and tons of course work for certification in teaching), mature (lots of experience in many diversified fields) man. My journey through life has brought me to the point where I can say I'm happy. I know that there is more out "there" where I could contribute my efforts to more efficiently by use my talents more effectively. Can you help me with this?

July 2, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Jerry, Monroe Co. WV

He can fool some of the people some of the time, but he is not going to be able to fool the conservative base and the moderate independents enough of the time to pull this election off- not this time.

July 2, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. John

He should put Bush on the ticket with him as VP, then send him to Alaska, that would put the greatest distance between them possible. Or trade bush to Russia for putin and they can send Bush to Siberia, thats even farther or Mabye send Mcsame its hard to tell them two apart Bush is the younger one right. I think I'm getting altzheimers or Bush is or Mcsame. Whew Hard to keep track of all this stuff is it three A.M. boy its hot in this Kitchen. Obama 08/12

July 2, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. John

GWB rymes with WMD

July 2, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Greg form Mechanicsburg PA

I know that you guys really do read the blog entries and I am happy with that.

As an aside:

July 2, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

to "I HATE OBAMA"..
    1) Democrats in congress have their agendas BLOCKED AND OBSTRUCTED by rethuglicans every step of the way.

2) point to ANYTHNG that was done when you had ALL THREE BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT FOR 6 OF THE LAST 7 1/2 YEARS!

July 2, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |