July 2nd, 2008

Fist bump not gone?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle bump fists on June 3.
Barack Obama and wife Michelle bump fists on June 3.

(CNN) - Rest assured America, perhaps Barack Obama has not abandoned his signature fist bump.

It appears Tuesday's pool report - widely reported by several media outlets, including CNN - that Obama refused to bump fists with a child in Ohio was incorrect.

A review of the tape shows the child was instead asking Obama to sign his hand, but the presumptive Democratic nominee declined.

Watch: Obama doesn't decline bumping fists

"Mom might not be happy when she comes home," Obama said. "She'll be like, 'What is the dirt on your hand?'

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sad

Prize winning artical CNN! Truly you guys have talent and should continue at your current jobs!

July 2, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Boye

And a lot of people jumped the gun.

July 2, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Pot-stirring pandering again....CNN must think that their viewers are idiots.....I heard the other day that Obama could walk across the Potomac river......CNN's twist........Obama can't swim. You are getting as interesting as Jack Cafferty.....who doesn't post comments that are not interesting.........that because his questions are as interesting as the answers. Give me something to sink my keyboard fingers on.

July 2, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. Len in Washington

Hmmmm....seems you guys need to run your stories through "Factcheck.org" before you print them.
    Where's your editor...Eh?

July 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. BV

Keep on bumping Michelle. You are one of the most accomplished woman of this time. I don't doubt your patriotism in the least. You wouldn't be standing where you are today if you didn't appreciate and respect this country.
    Here is the sad thing. There are people in this country that can't believe that a black woman could be where you are today. They have to find something wrong with the picture because it doesn't fit what they have grown so willingly to favor. Truthfully, you dispell their beliefs. You bring out their frustrations as you blow their belief system to pieces. How could you be where you are today when they are still sitting on their hind ends spewing hatred and anger. People are often born into a belief system spawned by their parents. As generations progress we are seeing changes in the way people think. It is a good thing and the outside world is just hammering to see where we go with this. You represent the change that this country needs to stand tall again. Please keep your efforts going for those of us who are optimistic about a better future.

July 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Terri

I agree with Barack...this is a natural thing ..just as a handshake, when it becomes political a political symbol...call it a day!!

July 2, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. John

If true, this is good news. I was afraid that the silly fuss over the fist-bumping in June was making Barack's handlers squeamish about him doing it again. Which would have raised the question: If they can't deal with something so minor, what kind of serious "change" could we expect from an Obama administration?

July 2, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Please Think

Haha...just proves that if there is no news, the MSM will make up the news. All over a fist bump/hand signature request? I guess the silly season is running longer than expected this year.

OBAMA '08

July 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. USAF Staff Sergeant

Well well well......... now let's all get in an uproar about THIS.

1,000 posts on the article about the fist bump being gone was pathetic.

July 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. jim

The bottom line is the media are morons..........

July 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. RJ from NJ

I'm delighted that this earth-shaking controversy is finally settled.
    The world is at peace.

July 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. carlo

The media is full of total incompetents. Are they so desparate to get a story on Obama that they get overexcited and just invent stuff up? Who would risk cutting a child's hand for a signature?

July 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. HRC3655

Same comment as before, Bill should have fist bumped BO in the head. Obama is egotistical with no respect for women.

July 2, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. THIS IS YOUR FAULT

1001 people responded to your false reporting of earlier today on this subject. You should be ashamed of yourselves as a so called media outlet. Real journalists check facts before releasing these things. Is CNN the new Fox?

July 2, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. Natalie

Ha! That shows all those fools who made snide comments about Obama on the other blog that you shouldn't believe everything you hear! Obama is a great guy (& parental figure)!

Obama/Clinton '08

July 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Zach

I know you guys are a 24-hour tabloid (oops I meant "media outlet"), but is there not enough going on in the World for you to stop continuously reporting on such ridiculous things?

I mean really I'm more interested in how Obama takes his coffee, how often he gets a haircut, what kind of underwear does he wear, and does his favorite color change on a daily basis with his mood or maybe the issues he discusses. For example, hazy brown for our polluted environment, dark red for the US financial crisis, or a mixture of red, white, and blue for the flag that drapes the coffins of the only soldiers "coming home" from Iraq?

Why have we had George W. Bush as President for the last 8 years? AN UNEDUCATED, UNINFORMED ELECTORATE!!! Just want thank you, CNN, for your contribution! Of course, I'm sure I wasn't the first to extend my gratitude. I suppose I have to stand in line behind large corporations, the GOP, and most of all Dubba!

July 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. Is this for real

I know yall want to correct your other paparazzi story but really this is hardly news. Maybe yall should stop rushing to add stuff on this ticker and do a fact checker first. Gossip should not make the webpage of the self proclaimed “Best political team in television”

July 2, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. puff

OK, now I have heard everything. He even feels he needs to revise an old story about him. Give us a break NObama, you cannot please all of us all of the time and you look like a girlee man just trying. Why don't you go away and save yourself the trouble? Keep in mind you were selected NOT elected. The people just do not want you and your mean wife.
    PUMA

July 2, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. Katerina Ivanovna

This is ridiculous. I know this is a blog, but still... can you report on the important issues that differ one candidate from the other?

July 2, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Tim Hutchins

Right! BO is not man enough to look a person in the eye and shake his hand - old stuff, I guess, that he has to "change"?

July 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. saga4obama

Obama does it better

July 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. RocketScience - chicago, illinois

And this is news why?

July 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. On_fiayah

awww. that was too cute.

July 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Cathy in MD

I’m so relieved! I was gonna switch my vote to McCain since Obama had abandoned his signature fist bump, but I hear John and Cindy do this weird thing with their toes and it kinda ooged me, so … well, I’m just really glad I can still vote for Obama. Thanks, CNN!

July 2, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. Vincent from Ireland

Wow, are you guys journalists, or pretenders like the National Enquirer? In your zeal to smear Obama, apparently you lost touch with those funny little things called facts.

Get a clue.