July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Militantism isn't as bad as pure contempt of our constitution by endorsing Bush's faith based initiative. McCain suddenly looks so much more responsible. I guess it's four more years of a crappy economy for the bottom 98%. Voting for Obama now would constitute treason. I thought he was a constitutional law professor. What gives?

July 1, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  2. Brenda

How sad that Barack Obama and his wife cannot show emotion and celebrate after a well deserved victory. The GOP are so desperate and terrified that they have to resort to transforming an innocent gesture into something evil. Unfortunately, I guess Obama has to be on guard at all times.

July 1, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  3. Bradley In Colorado

Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter July 1st, 2008 7:25 pm ET

Another attempt to make BO appear "presidential." Too bad he didn't know enough to knock it off on his own, but that's why he and Michelle have a crew of "handlers." Boy, do they need handlers!
    -------------------------------–
    No, YOU'RE the one in need of handling! I'm insulted that you would even say that kind of disrespectful crap!

July 1, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  4. Bradley In Colorado

Kay, touching story. Now can we focus on the issues, CNN?

July 1, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  5. Francesca

I work at a hospital and research shows that Obama and his wife are being very health-conscious...fist bumping is becoming very popular because it is less infectious than shaking hands. lol Ü

July 1, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  6. CITIZENS FOR AMERICA FIRST

HEY FOLKS, THE FIST PUMP IS ONLY FOR HIS MICHELLE.

July 1, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  7. Zakk

I think Obama should avoid doing things which raise questions about his mainstream acceptability to the electorate.

July 1, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Obama Staunch Supporter

Come on now! Give us some real news! Our manObama has better trademarks than a fist bump!

July 1, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  9. Brian

It's a shame he has to drop something as silly as that just because he knows how people will spin it (Terrorist Fist Jab). Just proof of how many people live in this country that aren't open minded enough to let people be who they are without judging and jumping to narrow minded conclusions and misconceptions based in race.

Funny name = Terrorist
    Thanks for that one Fox News

July 1, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  10. Bill, Covington

The Obama fist bump, the raised clenched fist of senator Ann Duplessis (D) Louisiana after her bill to double her salary is nothing more or less than throwing "Malcom X" in our face. Saluting the Rev. Wright, praising the terrorist William Ayers. They won't stop. So you better start planning how to counter the surge or it will swollow you.

July 1, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  11. Bradley In Colorado

People, let us remember that it was Barack's decision to start the fist-bumping in the first place, and he is just as much at liberty to call an end to it as he sees fit. Besides, he knows the sick GOP would photograph him fist-bumping the kid, and use it in an add claiming "BHO attacks little kids, whereas McCain loves kids."

And to think McCain would show his love of kids by lowering the draft age to 3 (the age where toddlers can walk and hold gun-like objects)

July 1, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  12. Steve, Vt

A fist bump with the leaders of Iran may start a holy war I think

July 1, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  13. Robert

You have got to be kidding me. Is this really news worthy? Was it a slow day in our nation that this actually made it on to a supposedly respectable news agency's web apge like CNN? I'm clicking over to ABC News.. this is just too much!

July 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  14. Roy

It's too bad that so many people don't want our candidates to be human. I say keep the fist bump, and ignore the idiots who think that it's somehow not "presidential."

July 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  15. A Post 9/11 Navy Veteran

You guys keep on talking. I am an Obama supporter and I strongly agree with Gen.Clark. It don't seem like I will be out the Navy for long because I will end up getting recalled for the Iran war that is next. Are my fellow citizens in the United States so foolish to not realize that the government is eyeing Iran next, KNOWING our military is already torn and broken down already? You people talk so much garbage, you all will be right beside me in UNIFORM when I get recalled, because I know for a FACT, that if we go to war with Iran due to the unstable GOP idiots that only care about their OWN cash, THERE WILL BE A DRAFT, YOU JUST WAIT!!!!!!!! You PUMA people, you just go on ahead and vote for McCain, and your children 18 years and older, as well as you if you are in the age range, you will be my shipmate for sure. LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!! THIS IS NO TIME FOR FOOLISH PRIDE!!!!! That "Free Trade" crap that McCain is touting, you know why he is pushing for it???!!! Because he is going to need some countries to "back" us and let us borrow money from when we go to Iran because the United States will be BROKE!!!!! So you people go ahead and vote for McCain and those countries will practially own the United States and we will end begging England to take control of our country again, the very country we fought for, but our governement will be so run down there will be no other option, so go ahead and vote for him, I will be waiting for you guys on the messdecks.

July 1, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Charla in NE Texas

hmm...i'm a 35 year old white woman, my family and i do the fist bump all the time.....no different than a high five or a thumbs up. It's a shame, nobody can be themselves thesedays, because somebody always has something to say. For all the great things that are this country, it's hypocrisy can be absolutely disgusting a lot of the time.

July 1, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  17. Josh

This is probably the least informative article I have ever read in my life! But it is about Obama so CNN will put it up!

I equate the press coverage of B.O. to a bad pop song. There is no substance or originality to the song but its catchy; It gets played on the radio so much that you can't get it out of you head!!!!

Vote Independent if you REALLY want change!

July 1, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  18. Bradley In Colorado

I'd prefer "President Obama" to "King McCain".

What was the name of that corrupt king in "Robin Hood"? King John? The one who levied insane taxes and could give a crap less about the plight of the peoples?

July 1, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  19. obama-ho

"If I start that … somebody's gonna get hurt"

July 1, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  20. Having second doubts-Obama supporter

This is just one of multiple instances where he's acting more and more like all the other politicians..where's the change in that?

July 1, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  21. Obama Supporter

Ha...so I suppose that walking bag of bones cadaver McCain looks presidential??? We can't look any worse than GWB has already made us.

July 1, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  22. Pacific Pundit

I'm on the fence on this one.
    On one hand, I love the fist pump. It takes the ambiguity out of certain hand shaking situations, and is nearly impossible to screw up.
    On the other hand, a hand shake is much more formal and respectful when among strangers.

On an unrelated note, "the FIRST bump heard..."?
    Please read over your stories more carefully before sending them out, CNN.

July 1, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  23. Charles

Obama DID NOT invent the fist bump. The fist bump was going before Obama started to run.

July 1, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  24. RAY SF

Yes...Howie does it on deal or No Deal. To Obama, I say, NO DEAL!!!!

July 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  25. McCain=the draft

It doesn't matter to me if he fist bumps or not.
    I'm looking for someone to shake-up Washington, and he's the only one who can do it.

July 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |