July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. H rosan

Barack and Michelle were very natural and unihibited when they were doing the fist bump but unfortunately the media and the general public influenced by the media ,as usual , turned it into a hackneyed parody and a bad joke. Too bad, because they looked so nice and friendly to each other. They were definitely not just a stiff husband and a stiff wife of the same boring mold as McCain and his imperious wife whose name I can't even remember.

July 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. BD

What's the big deal? The "fist bump" in widely used, acknowledged and accepted in many US communities. Get over your pompous selves!!!

July 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. Atlanta Obama Supporter

I don't understand why this is so offensive to people. He should have to "stop it" for any reason. Poor little boy, how cool would it have been for him to tell his friends "Barack Obama gave me some dap!"

July 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. mike

"If I start that …"

"I will have to fist bump everybody from here to kingdom come", or something to that effect, is obviously what he was saying.

July 1, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Dekonti

Oh Dumb CNN!!! There was a fist bump before the Obama's did it. Journalism is dead. God, why did you take Tim Russert away and leave us with CNN?

July 1, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  6. Atlanta Obama Supporter

Correction on my commetn that's he shouldn't have to stop it..............................

July 1, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. km

we're staying home this july 4th cuz gas is too high, but by all means, cnn, do a story on obama's fist bump nuttiness.

July 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  8. ljmoon

smart move, its not very presidential...what next 'high five' putin?

July 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  9. Elix

I do love CNN. It is a great news network. So take time to sort out what is really necessary to put on the CNN ticker. No meaning to start a thread just for the sake of starting a thread. Will America be safer by us knowing this request/refusal of fist bumping? Will the gas price be affordable if we know about it? Will Mugabe fail in Zimbabwe if we discuss this thread? Let's think about. Thanks.

July 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Dave

my guess...
    "If I start that.. then everyone will want me to do it."

and then he'd miss someone at some point, it would be seen as a slight, the media would be all "he doesn't like cancer patients? how dare he!", etc..

July 1, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  11. Aaron

I hope Obama realizes he needs to be himself. I think Americans can handle the fist bump after enduring almost 8 years of being given the finger by our current president.

July 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. Jerry

Why is this news? This stuff is so irrelevant to me. Just as Gary stated above me, fist bumping is a harmless and widely accepted practice. People, there are much more critical issues that warrant our attention than this ridiculous babble about fist bumping.

July 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. cph9680

Yeah, is there a point to this?

July 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  14. Tim

how petty can people be.....

July 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. Yawn

This isn't news.

July 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  16. Z Swim

GAH!!!

No! Obama, this has to stop! You are caving too much to McCain. If this keeps up you are going to compromise and pander yourself into oblivion.

Don't try to make yourself pleasing to the pundits, because you can't. They will just keep picking at till you are gone.

July 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Agnes

I love the fist bump. It's like..........I'm ready.........Let's do this! Take it to the next level.

July 1, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. Ethan

War in Iraq, economy in recession, Bush and McCain wanting to attack Iran, problems on top of problems... And we are talking about a "fist bump"

CNN is a disgrace.

July 1, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. michelle

FIST BUMP HEARD AROUND THE WORLD......

OH BROTHER..... I FEEL LIKE PUKING....TYPICAL MEDIA OBSESSIVE ADORATION FOR BO.

BRING BACK HILLARY FOR SUBSTANCE AND MATURITY. HILLARY FOR VP.

SI SE PUEDE CON HILLARY. VIVA HILLARY! TO NEW YORKERS: WRITE IN HER NAME IF SHE'S NOT SELECTED FOR VP.

July 1, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. Ben in High Point, NC

Well, he's changed a number of policy stances, namely:

1. Standing firmly with the right wing on Israeli politics. He used to be very Palestinian friendly, but now I don't know what to think after his Jerusalem "undivided" speech.

2. He is far more supportive of Nafta and free trade **AFTER the Democratic primaries. He sure pulled a fast one on those blue collar workers in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

3. Support for retroactive immunity for telecommunication companies that provide customer information.

So, why not ditch the fist bump? Just another sign that he is alreay a changed man

July 1, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  21. Peter of Oregon

tabloid journalism...

July 1, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. Larry

Gary, Howie Mandel does it because he has a neurosis about germs. Practiced custom? Sorry...I don't need my President fist bumping, raising the roof, etc. I just need him to be sincere, comfortable, natural...while being polished, professional, and well....Presidential. Fist bumping is not Presidential.

July 1, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. paul g

are you kidding me? the fist bump is as much a terrorist message as i don't know what. i've been doing fist bumps with kids i've been coaching for 15 years. an example of over-reacting as i've ever seen!
    lighten up.......

July 1, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Supporter of Barack&Michelle Obama 08'

I personally thought that was the cutest fist bump. Usually, you see a bunch of guys watching a sporting event that does that or the "high five." When a man can do that with his wife that says: "not only is she is wife but also his friend".

July 1, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. Jason

He cares about his image so much he won't even ease up around a child? The fist bump with his wife looked absurd and forced, but who cares if you humor a kid?

July 1, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |