July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. energy

CNN gave the election to Obama.

Where is the likes of Bernard Shaw, Aaron Brown, Catherine Crier, etc.?

Fire Cafferty, Donna Brazille, Susan Malveaux, Anderson Cooper.

Keep: John King, Luo Dobbs–they may also keep Wolfe and Candy.

Go to your old self of reporting balanced news...

July 1, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  2. PA Hick Chick

What's the matter Barry, not black enough? not white enough?
    Is your deck out all of race cards?
    Now you want to play joker's wild?

July 1, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  3. Mace Windu

It's not a fist bump. It's called a pound.

July 1, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  4. Nick

Michelle is the star of that fist bump photo with her pouty lip and strong right arm. Barrack should be so lucky.

July 1, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  5. Kathy in Oregon

I'm finding it harder each day to get behind Obama.

EVERYTHING he does is based on politics - so obviously calculated.

Compared to Obama, McCain appears to be the candidate with the most CHARACTER. Never thought I would find myself thinking THAT about a Republican!

July 1, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  6. Lynn/West Hills, CA

Somehow, I cannot come to terms with a "fist bumping' POTUS.
    Then again I cannot seem to come to terms with Barack Obama...

Disenfranchised Hillary woman.

July 1, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  7. Mediawatch

The fist bump, or the pound as it is akso known, is a cool way to greet and I understand that Howie Mandel of the television show Deal or No Deal also chooses this method of greeting due to his germ-phobic concerns.

I hope Barack continues it. It would be unfortunate if one of the most stupid and incompetent right wing talking heads in the media business, E.D. Hill of the Fox News Channel, could cause Barack to modify his coolness due to her outrageous, misguided comments after that prolific fist bump with Barack and his wife that night. Perhaps her frequent use blonde hair dye altered her DNA and affected her brain impulses to make such a comment linking the fist jab to terrorism–for those who missed it!

July 1, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  8. clarity

What a shame– everything he does is examined under a microsope.
    The man cannot naturally be himself. All of the youth in the world understood the fist bump was a visual of "we did it" YES WE CAN
    All the old farts turned it into a terror sign. Some people are so pathetically out of step with the world they live in- so tired so xenophobic!

July 1, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  9. yoyo

NO MORE FIST BUMP??? That's it, I've had enough. I'm voting for Mccain.

July 1, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  10. Pearl

Dear Sen. Obama,
    I know campaigning is hard work, but please don't lose your joy and spontaneity along the way. You could have given the kid a thrill and shared a fist-bump. No one would think less of you, and if they did, so what?

July 1, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  11. disgusted

I guess he thinks he invented that too.

What a phony.. steals speeches and mocks others as if he's superior. What a joke.

It is rather funny how they say those who support him overwhelmingly are very educated. I'm educated but I also have a keen sense of falsehoods and embellished persona's.

He's not for me at all. We lost the best choice in Hillary Clinton.

PUMA – no way for Obama...

July 1, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  12. GOBAMA!

I can see your point, Barack, but I bet it takes less time than shaking a hand. If someone prefers to bump fists with you, why not?

July 1, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  13. LT for Obama

Such negativity over a fist bump. Geez, people, get a life.

July 1, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  14. Mo

That's interesting...when I saw the 'fist bump' live for the first time I wondered if these two are presidential enough. Will they respect the traditions of the White House? Are they trying too hard to appeal to the youth voter? I guess someone verbalized what many of us were thinking...I'm a youth voter and after seven years President Bush, I would prefer a true statesman representing our country...not a guy fist bumping leaders around the world.

July 1, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  15. VegasGurl

Whatever! Back to the real news like people losing their homes and me trying to find them a rental because they've lost every dam thing!

July 1, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. Anonymous

The movie Australia should be boycotted by all americans... why you ask because evertime an Australian calls an American a"Yank" which is short for "septic tank" as the "Aussie's " say all americans are full of sh#t. I have been here ten years with no way out and I have been abused at the hands of australian police and private citizens and furthermore News broadcasters like the ABC encourage anti american sentiment. Americans shouldn't visit Australia, they shouldn't support Australia Americans should treat Australians with total diregard and leave them in the outback they so fondly love.
    If Obama wants to do something for America he should publicly denounce any relations between America and Australia. the amount of anti american sentiment bred by the Australian Government has grown in Australia since Kevin Rudd entered the Prime Ministers role. I shouldn't have to be afraid to say I am American but here in Australia I am.

July 2, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  17. DH

If these so called righteous Republicans thought it was so "strange", then why is their golden child, George Bush bumping fists. He bumped fist today with a little boy in the South.

Now that George is doing it, let's see what comments will be made. I'm sure it will be cool now and the Repubs will find a way to embrace it.

July 2, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  18. J

I'm an avid Obama supporter, but seriously, does this qualify as important news? Come on, CNN, give us something legitimate.

July 2, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. Remy

Is this a news today? What is this to do with politics? CNN better find some good news finders and writters!

July 2, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  20. kim

well that proves it - he is a terrorist, gay muslim. i knew it.

July 2, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  21. willowspring

It's a minefield out there. Every word, pause, micro-expression, action and reaction scrutinized. So why did Obama not have the common sense to refrain from trivializing his moment with the equivalent of slang?
    The "fist bump" as it is called, may be interpreted to be anything from an "insider" greeting to a gang sign. It was completely inappropriate. Just another example of poor judgement.

July 2, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  22. jon

this is a race for being president of the united states of america, which used to mean something, and we are talking about a" fist bump." i dont even know what to say anymore, im disgusted at the process. i don't even know how you people argue about this crap everyday when none of it matters. who will make the country better in the next 4 years. mccain??? seriously??? i have yet to hear one good argument! knock off all the crap and vote for the person who at least is saying that things are set up wrong and washington isnt doing their job! at least then we have a chance. until then, companies and poloticians who represent those companies will run our country and represent us to the world. seriously??

July 2, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. What does Obama represent anyway?

He's a scary guy this Obama cat. He rolls and tumbles all the time in what he says he stands for, and then changes his mind, saying that was where he stood on the issue all the time.
    He backs off FICA, a big issue for him in which he gave a speech a couple of months or so ago that he will fight to the end to stop the evil doers who invade our privacy rights and bring those telecommunication companies libal for their invasion of our privacy but no instead he says it was a good compromise last weekend when the House ruled to essentially give G. Bush exactly what he asked for, he doesn't support General Clark a 4 star General who headed the European Command in Europe and who is highly respected and won his war,and who is his surrogate, by throwing him under the bus to stand alone when it would have taken some guts for Obama to say, "that's right, I back General Clarke and he is right to say that McCain's being a POW doesn't give him presidential skills. But now, he just had a mind trip going on and was too worried that he would look like he was dissing McCain's Vietnam Vet status.
    It's like Obama doesn't have a center of gravity inside of himself. Is he all head and ideas that constantly collide so that he can never know what he is going to do next? Doesn't he ever take a risk? Man, I don't trust him and I want to because I've been a Dem all of my life. He's a scary guy. I could go on and on about his philosophical changes of heart. I don't trust this guy to be our leader.

July 2, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  24. Democrat for Big Mac

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WILL HAVE HIS VACATION RANCH IN KENYA OVER HIS GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE. CAN YOU BELIEVE WE CAN ACTUALLY GET ANOTHER STATE BY JUST ELECTING OBAMA. KENYA WOULD BE THE 51ST STATE WHERE WORLD LEADER WILL BE HOSTED BY PRESIDENT OBAMA AT HIS RANCH. FUNNY YAW!

July 2, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  25. Anonymous

Will you idiots stfu and go back to PUMA PAC, or Hillary.corny or wherever the hell it is you brainless fools sleaze from

July 2, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |