July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Florida-Livin

Good to see Obama Haters never sleep.. Funny that the Media critiques everything Obama does, but Mc Same Gaffes have a 5 second life span. Truth is the world is cheering for Obama to Win. The upside is tremendous and the hate Blogs don't work anymore. The Hillary Supporters that won't Vote Democrats on issues never where Democrats. Or just Maybe Just maybe you won't Vote for a Black Man. (i said it) It doesn't matter though because none of you seem to really care how much people are suffering supporting issues that you don't like. I know alot of people got laid off at my job this week, there friends who where Republicans and Democrats. I know because of the botched last 7 years they are looking for a job right now. This is not a laughing matter and when you vote they way you do just own up to it. Because it going to be change for the good or bad. I know one thing though the current Administration cares nothing for American people. Too many good jobs leaving here when those tax breaks where supposed to keep jobs here. It's Just not right.

July 2, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  2. Dustin

Seriously? This is news? Obama did not "popularize" the fist bump. Perhaps whoever wrote this piece should watch a few baseball games from the last decade.

July 2, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  3. I got moderated out by CNN

Of course this is news... Fist Bumping on a national stage before a Democratic nomination shows how the Obama's view of this process. He (and his wife a potential First Lady) is arrogant, inappropriate, cocky, etc etc.. A presidential candidate on such a momentus occasion when he knows all eyes of the nation is on them,choose to acknowledge their success in this casual fashion.

Are they for real or they are too young and liberal to know that some actions and words should be done in private NOT IN PUBLIC !!!

For heavens sake, this is a national event !! HE MADE A MOCKERY OF IT !!! End of story. This man has no idea what is right or wrong and he consistently has proven it.

July 2, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  4. Linda31

How is that his signature? He did it one time with his wife...one time.

July 2, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  5. Jon Bernstein

Thank you for this hard hitting piece of investigative journalism.

July 2, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. saga4obama

you will be shocked and appalled...this man is NOT FIT OF SENATE OR ANY OTHER OFFICE...he should have been arrested years ago

July 2, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  7. Nate, Florida

come on cnn, get some real news. What happened to Journalism?

July 2, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  8. Jbecks

This is the most exciting news story of the millennium!!!! I was there! I saw the fist bump in St. Paul and I remember thinking "Whoa. This is a big deal. That fist pound is gonna be a really huge deal!!!!"
    And I'm so glad that EVERYONE in the press will finally question these 'Hezbolla style fist jabs' we can visibly see the Obama's do with each other. Since NOBODY in the press had the courage to question THE WAR IN IRAQ. Yeah, that wasn't sketchy at all. Keep up the good work CNN. You wouldn't want to fall behind your competition by resorting to reasonable reporting. News is a business after all.

-fist jabs are a custom that Hezbolla does with Hamas to show their mutual respect and reverence for both Osama Bin Laden and Communism.

July 2, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  9. George Gurley

Vote Republican! Four more years as bad as the last eight and we'll finally be able to have the revolution.

July 2, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  10. xddy4u

This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Obama had a schedule to keep. If he started fist pumping everyone he met, there would had been no end. I'm sure he politely refused in such a way the kid understood. So what's the big deal?

July 2, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  11. Sue

If you want to know the real Barack Obama read the books he wrote. See how he feels from his own words.

Yes, will the real Barack Obama stand up before it's too late.

July 2, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  12. Zeke

He is an idiot, isn't he? (shaking head) Neither he nor his wife know how to act under the spotlight. He acts exactly like the former community organizer he used to be; ignorant, conceited and and pumped up by his handlers to represent THEIR agenda. He is not a change agent, unless you consider changing for the worse progress.

We are fools if we don't elect McCain. He is an honorable man, with several years of experience in the Senate and has served his country in the time of need.

I am a Democrat but I have joined Citizens for McCain. If you feel like I do, join this group. It is a broad based organization that crosses party lines and works together to elect or ony other feasible candidate.

July 2, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  13. Robert

This deserves a Pulitzer.

July 2, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  14. War

It's so hard for him.. I feel bad for this man he can't do nothing without a racist hater saying something he's the hardest working man running for president..

July 2, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  15. annetta

I have a wrist problem and draw back anytime someone tries to slap palms with me. The fist bump seems more sensible than having someone inadvertently hurt my wrist. My son told me that he's seen golfers do this bump for years and I was recently watching the movie Oceans 11 and saw a young couple use the same gesture. It might be good for people to stop over-analyzing every little thing that the candidates do or say. Sometimes words or gestures might not have any large meaning, they might just be what they appear to be.

July 2, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  16. Angel

Wow, Barack is flexing his "exectutive" power muscle...I can't wait to see what other "big decisions" he'll make to tackle a real issue.

...yes, that's sarcasm...

July 2, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  17. AJ

WHOOOOO CCAAARREESSSS????? Can you pleaseeee lower my gas bill, grocery bill, heating bill??? Does this news help our situation CNN????

July 2, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  18. Chris

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE????? Why is anyone even talking about this? Do you honestly think that it matters at all? The man is the best hope we have of getting this country back on track. He was not my first choice, but he is the best choice remaining! Do you really want McCain as president? The only thing I want someone that old doing is greeting me at Wal-Mart.

The sad fact is our political system is screwed up. But it is not going to be fixed before the next election. Unless you really like the way this country is going, you had better think long and hard about voting for anyone other than Obama. He has his problems, but man, he is our last best hope.

And CNN, please stop wasting time with these dumb, meaningless stories. There is a whole lot to discuss besides this crap.

July 2, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  19. Anonymous

whats with this stupid story? he didnt popularize it, ppl have been giving "props" for a looong time. and whats with fixbone calling him an idiot for? he gave props to his wife, who the hell cares if he does it again or not. this is what cnn gets paid to do?

July 2, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  20. Michael

What ever happened to handshakes? Unless you're a germ-aphobe, just stick with handshakes. When Obama did that first fist bump, my first though was whether he would do it with world leaders, that gave me a chill.

July 2, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  21. Obama 's to the oval offive

No its like this Fixbone you are the idiot with a capitol I you and McLooser are on the same Bush page which reads "This Country lead by Bush/Cheney has never been in worse shape in its history and you Republicans are voting for more of the same McBush .
    When are you going to wake up and realize what is going on here with Bush,McLooser old politics ithat isnt working .
    TYou must like war so why dont you go to the front lines we wont miss you.

July 2, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  22. Val from MA

I can't stand Obama – he makes me sick to my stomach! How do people believe a word that comes out of his mouth? Every day there is something new with this guy. The positions that he held so dear to his heart during the primaries are no longer needed, because now he has to pander to a more conservative base. What a loser! He even now attacks MoveOn.org when he is in a dire need of conservative vote. Where was he last year when this despicable organization ran that ad? People, BEWARE – Obama is a very dangerous man. He doesn't care about anyone, but himself. Let me spell it for you: E-L-I-T-I-S-T. Oh, and did I mention that he is a socialist also.

July 2, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  23. pixie

Let's stay focused. The economy is a clear and present danger, and the Republicans have created incredible problems domestically and abroad. Fist bumping is the least of our problems as a nation. We need to be more concerned about who has a plan to secure the future of our country. Obama has more to offer than fist bumps and if the press and white America could get beyond the politics of destruction by dissecting the personal lives of candidates, namely Obama, then perhaps we might not destroy ourselves and the world. And perhaps we can elect someone to lead us, instead of someone with whom we'd like to have a beer.

July 2, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  24. Jason

Please, give the man a break. Issues such as fist bumps and presidential logos are trivial, and I'd rather have a candidate who does these mistakes (if you can even call it that) over someone who commits other errors, like maybe getting the factions of your enemies mixed up or singing a joke about bombing Iran. Oh clever, but I guess "terrorist fist jabs" are a bigger threat when analyzing these presidential personalities.

July 2, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  25. foosayer

Senator Obama seems to be scared of his own shadow recently. The lapel pin fiasco, the over-reaction to Gen. Clark's TV interview, fist bump paralysis, etc.. If one can't be true to oneself, how will one ever be true to the office of President.

This is getting a little ugly. Senator, please get a grip before you confuse those who have supported you all along. And that video of you acting uncomfortable and disengaged during the Pledge of Allegiance is truly groan-worthy. Please try to cut down on the number of bad days. The opposition knows its only chance is for you to self-destruct. That is not an option.

July 2, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |