July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. mj

Wow, aren't we involved in a war, facing a recession, global warming and unbelievable gas prices and over 9 trillion dollars in debt? I can't believe some people are going to decide who to vote for based on something so trivial–what does that say about you? Right now Obama's critics pounce on everything he does. Let's look at issues–both candidates have some very strong qualities and some that aren't as strong but to make such a big deal over such trivial things is pathetic. Let's move forward to choose a candidate based on logic, not emotion and quit nit picking either candidate. We have a choice now, Obama or McCain. Can't we move forward in a positive way that makes us proud to be Americans and proud that we can choose our president? It's not a perfect system but it works pretty darn well.

July 2, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  2. ray

It's too late Barack, the damage is done. You and Michelle singlehandedly diluted what was once a cool salutation used by young people. Now when I do it, I'M the copycat.

July 2, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  3. Didine - Maryland

Give a break to Senator Barack Obama. This is not news for me. Michelle initiate the fist bump and he could not turn her down in front of million of people. May be he is not comfortable doing it. Please stop your nonsence comments and leave him alove.

July 2, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  4. Pat D

As usual CNN, as usual!

July 2, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  5. Independent

I agree that this is not news. But, I don't like the idea that it hurt a kid. I also don't like the idea (which my kids told me about) that he smokes and it is cool. We must watch out for children. Frankly, I am not thrilled with any candidate – past or present. But, as of late, I am becoming completely confused by Obama's actions – I thought he was for change?? New politics?? This I am attracted to, but if it is politics as usual, I guess I will go for safety and vote McCain. Still undecided.

July 2, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  6. Jacqueline for Obama!

Alice from Florida comments...."He's not just a black and white skunk who stinks to high heaven – he's also a chameleon – keeps changing his colors." Then she goes on to comment about the size of Michelle's butt. Could she be any less racist, no subtly at all; now that's disturbing.

This wonderful man has a steep hill to climb because of racist like this poster who is not interested in the issues, but more concerned about his race and can't come to grips with the fact that an African American will become the next President of these United States. God Bless America, and Alice from Florida too!

Obama, '08 and '12

July 2, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  7. mdg

CNN Moderator
    I think it's digraceful to print someone calling a presidential candidate a black and white skunk!
    How pitiful you have become...this is a forum for juvenille name calling and not thoughtful political discussion.
    Goodbye and good luck!

July 2, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  8. Debbie

Don't ditch the fist bump!!!

July 2, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  9. Fist bump proponent

This is absolutely ridiculous! My four-year-old son and I bump fists, or give each other "daps" every day when we say goodbye when I drop him off at school or when something awesome happens. Since when did this become a terrorist reference? Puuuuuhleeeeease!!!!

July 2, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  10. To Fist Bump OR Not To Fist Bump

Sen. Obama it doesn't matter what you do, MSM will spin it however they choose. You have been chosen as the Democratic Nominee PERIOD. If the young man wanted to fist bump, fist bump with the young man and let the MSM GO TO HELL as far as I'm concerned. They are a bunch of talking heads who doesn't have a heaven or hell to put you in much less a White House.

Just Do you. You have the character and leadership we desire in our next President and for me, it is as simple as that. For everyone else, let your conscience (if you have one) be your guide.

Just sign me:
    Sick of the nonsense from the MSM.

July 2, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  11. tidho

How incredibly relevant!

Thanks CNN!

July 2, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  12. Mike the Independent from Ohio

This is news, Oil is at an all-time high, we are moving closer and closer to war with Iran, the economy is of concern, and we're supposed to care about Obama's fist bump, this is a new low CNN, a new low

July 2, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  13. H-ROD

This is really silly ,but thats all they have is sillyness and lies (yes Obama can)!!!!!!

July 2, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  14. Rusty, Portland

Look at that picture-makes me want to puke.

July 2, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  15. Peg Robson

This is what he has going for him, give me a break, a HUGE break. He is not the one to lead this country and these kind of articles prove that point. It is all about personality and his rock star image, nothing substantial. The one thought I keep going back to is the no backbone people who elected Bush TWICE are now running behind Obama like he is the saviour of the country. What is that saying, really. He is very scary and his wife is even worse. Hey, wasn't she fist bumping on The View...did he check with her before he decided to nix the move. And really it isn's about what color he is, I could just care less about that, we need REAL leadership.

July 2, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  16. Vahan from Canada

COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! You have the first candidate ever to be the coolest person around. No more old guys. He has the coolest wife and they love each other and have the best rapport on stage. Stop with the stooooopid views on what the bump means. Move into the new century and elect Obama. Hey we'll vote for him as Prime Minister of Canada if you don't vote him President. We are a bit more open minded in Canada.

July 2, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  17. Cliff Hunt

Spell check clearly working, word checker is clearly not.

First is not the same as Fist. One is an ordinal number, the other a position the hand is in when the fingers are contracted.

Does anyone read this stuff before you publish it????

July 2, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  18. JB NYC

Another do as I say Liberal, that's all...

On average, women working in Obama's Senate office were paid at least $6,000 below the average man working for the Illinois senator. That's according to data calculated from the Report of the Secretary of the Senate, which covered the six-month period ending Sept. 30, 2007. Of the five people in Obama's Senate office who were paid $100,000 or more on an annual basis, only one - Obama's administrative manager - was a woman.

The average pay for the 33 men on Obama's staff (who earned more than $23,000, the lowest annual salary paid for non-intern employees) was $59,207. The average pay for the 31 women on Obama's staff who earned more than $23,000 per year was $48,729.91. (The average pay for all 36 male employees on Obama's staff was $55,962; and the average pay for all 31 female employees was $48,729. The report indicated that Obama had only one paid intern during the period, who was a male.)

McCain, an Arizona senator, employed a total of 69 people during the reporting period ending in the fall of 2007, but 23 of them were interns. Of his non-intern employees, 30 were women and 16 were men. After excluding interns, the average pay for the 30 women on McCain's staff was $59,104.51. The 16 non-intern males in McCain's office, by comparison, were paid an average of $56,628.83.

July 2, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  19. dont be bitter

I do not understand why Hillary supporters are so bitter, I mean if you are a serious voter you should pay attention to your candidates stand on the core issues; no not that she is a female making history or that he is a black man (he is as much white as he is black by the way).
    If you truly paid attention to what the candidates are saying, what you would do is vote for the candidate whose stance best resembles your original choice, if you decide to throw your all important vote away, then you never really paid attention to the issues and should educate yourself a little more. The differences between John McCain and both democratic hopefuls are like night and day, so I do not see how after Hillary lost, her camp is rallying behind McCain. I vote issues, and I must honestly say of the 2 candidates currently running for office, the one I tend to agree with the most is Barack Hussein Obama. That is not saying I have anything against McCain, because to me politics is not about making best friends but should be about the one who can steer this country in (what I believe is) the right direction. That is why I have the right to vote, to express my desire that the next person in office will not run me ragged as the current administration has; so I can travel abroad without hearing a whole bunch of anti American sentiments.
    If you vote for someone who does not mirror what you believe, you have no one else but yourself to blame if the country takes a path that you are not in agreement with, so while you line up to pay for your $15 gas, think back to when you wanted to vote on principle, rather than the issues, think back to when you where bitter because you felt that Hillary was not treated fairly (when we know that both camps slung mud). Take heed, vote along the issues you hold dearest to your heart so you can hold your head high regardless of the result of the election, or do not and let some deep seeded (or planted) doubt cloud your mind/heart on what is really going on in this country these days, let it not be said that you where not warned.
    P.S. All politicians are inherently lairs, it is what they are paid to do, they pander, if they did not they would not get elected; you have to pray and hope that of the choices you have, one most closely resembles what you would do if in office, my two cents.

July 2, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  20. Tanya Kujath

Just another desperate ploy for republicans to use since they have nothing promising to offer from thier side.

July 2, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  21. David - NYC

I think you guys are reading a bit too much into this....slow news day?

July 2, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  22. alone in VT

que immage makeover?

July 2, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  23. mjc

what a WIMP. he can't even show some spine about THIS?

July 2, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  24. Theresacj

This is news!?? Don't we have more important things to worry about in this country. People can't make up their minds. We want someone who can relate to "real" people, yet when we have one, he is not "presidential" enough?/ Give me a break. We have not had someone "presidential" in 8 years McCain is certainly not "presidential" either. He is stiff, boring, uninspiring and clings to the old ideas.
    Give me someone new!!!

July 2, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  25. Patrick Henry

He's so willing to please and be everything to everyone.

Does this guy even manufacture testosterone? !!!!!

To date hes adapted and readapted every principle he once held dear( church, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, Israel, the economy, death penalty, right to life.......)–he's not shown commitment or unswerving belief in anything that was even slightly controversial!!

Does anybody see something a little wrong about any man who has no clear ideology or belief system where he will draw a line and actually state: " here is where I stand and I won't be swayed".

July 2, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |