July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Debbie,Ewing,Nj

July 2, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. Becky

Oh, c'mon Obama don't become a robot. People against the fist-bumping are just being silly. Be yourself.

[fist bump to ya]

Obama '08

July 2, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. Obama-Junkie, IL

Obama is right to not get caught up in public fist-bumping. Fist-bumping is usually done in the sports arena after a good play is done. I've seen some basketball players and golfers do it. It was "cute" when Michelle did it with her husband, but not when everyone else wants to do it.

Slow news day for CNN Politics. Instead of focusing on the national issues, CNN Politics is happy to engage is "pop culture" issues.

Give me a break.

July 2, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  4. Debbie,Ewing,Nj

The media makes a big deal about everything. In the African American community this is no big deal. We all do it. Leave it to the media to try to make something out of it. Its just what we do to say I'm with you, ok, good job.

July 2, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  5. Nikki, Florida

It's unfortunate how the ridiculousness of the press (and especially fox news) can affect something like this.

July 2, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  6. CitizenAJ

Some of the stories that news agencies publish just floor me. Is this news to report? I guess so because quite a few of us read it and left comments. Ridiculous article. Wow, I am done reading CNN for the day.

July 2, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  7. Who cares?

Honestly, I don't care whether Obama fist bumps or not. All of the STUPID hype made of this by the right wing is just scare tactic racism. Whathisname on FOX (oops, NeoconFox) News calls it a terrorist bump. Hmm, so I guess Miley Cyrus is a terrorist, too. Scare tactics and nothing else. My six year old daughter loves to do this with me...I guess we're terrorists, too. And just so you know, I'm from Central Iowa, I'm white, and I will be voting for McCain. But I vote on issues, NOT stupid things like this. This is what is wrong with the US. My only disappointment is that McCain didn't step in and say knock it off.

July 2, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  8. John in Ohio

Great, yet another Democrat candidate who fights on the defensive.

July 2, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  9. David

He nixed it because it makes him seem TOO black. As if Dr. Wright hasn't accomplished that fact already.

July 2, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. Chipster

Geez, I think the media has gone completely nuts – all of them. There is REAL news out there! Why isn't someone reporting it?

24 hours a day, we have cable news and yet so much is being done that will impact our lives for years or even decades without ever being reported or maybe a brief mention. Nothing gets in-depth coverage except this sort of garbage. How many of you know that the Bush Administration and North Korea agreed on a treaty, strangely similar to the one the Clinton administration made and Bush broke, in late 2007? It made the news for about 3 seconds.

You can bet Brad and Angelina's twins will be covered ad-nauseum!

July 2, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. Me

He can't "bump" with just anybody.

My thinking is then that would take away from the real meaning of the one he shared with Michelle.

None of us will ever know what the true meaning of that was but you can bet his refusal to do it with anyone else signals that it didn't mean what he tried to get us to believe it meant.

Another Obama mystery! I am starting to not like this guy so much.

July 2, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  12. RT

This is absolutely the stupidest story CNN has ever posted. CNN is so out of touch thinking that this thing belongs to Obama. People I know have been doing it for YEARS and we call its "pounds" and not a "fist bump". Get in touch and get caught up CNN.

July 2, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  13. Daniel Delroccilli

As a long time Hillary supporter, November can not get here fast enough for me to vote for McCain!

July 2, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. bob

If he does continue with that he will look like a presidential candidate!
    I am with him on this one!

July 2, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  15. TRUTH

"Another attempt to make BO appear "presidential." Too bad he didn't know enough to knock it off on his own, but that's why he and Michelle have a crew of "handlers." Boy, do they need handlers!"

I see where you are coming from, but it's not funny. In your statment you are trying to reduce the Obama's to animals. How sad. It's showing you and should put it away now so the rest of the REAL DEMOCRATS can fix the country.

July 2, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  16. If not Hillary....then McCain

Once again, he stands by nothing he does! What a pathetic excuse for a candidate for POTUS

July 2, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  17. Robin

The "Real" issue here is not the stupid "fist bump", what really bothers those who are offended by it is the color of this man's skin. Not his fist bump, not his politics, not his religion. It is the color of his skin and the REAL content of his character that has these people frightened and threatened!

July 2, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  18. stacy

no dignity for presidential material in this sort of flip gesture.

July 2, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  19. RT

I haven't been on these Boards in months and I can't believe the Clinton Children are still trolling these blogs!! Get over it and get a life! Is this the only place you loosers can congregate and whine about how you were disenfranchised fair and square?

July 2, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  20. saga4obama

DO NOT BE FOOLED AMERICA....
    although Obama has and will raise more money that McCain from 1.8 million everyday Americans, dont think for one second think John McCain does not have his big oil people working for him....i would not be surprised if some of the people who post ANTI OBAMA bs on this site are not the American public but apart of the GOP, BUSH and MCCCAIN machine:
    i dare you to go to sites like :
    dumpmccain.com
    realmccain.com
    John McCain is more of a criminal than a hero...

who are you PUMA,NOBAMA,NEVEROBAMA? are you real people or one of the lobbyist McCain took $1,069,854.00 from...uh?
    1.8 million small donors for Obama
    lets see who supports McCain...
    McCain ad visors:WAYNE BURGESON [lobbyist Chevron], ERIC BURGESON [lobbyist forBP], NANCY PFOTENHAUER [ LOBBIET FOR KOCH INDUSTRIES] AND OF COURCE HIS WAR WOULD BE GOOD MINION AND TOP ADVISOR CHARLIE BLACK [LOBBIEST FOR OPC]...McCain is big interest in BIG OIL...
    why wont Mr. Transparent release his military record? well, if my "show boating"and bad temper were the cause of 167 crewmen's death i would not release them either...MCCAIN HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE...A LOT TO HIDE. ask him about "wet starting" his plane...thats hoe those 167 men died. and btw solitary confinement is not being help up in a hotel with 2 hookers McCain...i shutter to think how you have disgraced our Nation..giving up military information, wet starting your plane killing 167 men, NO WONDER YOU WHERE SO UPSET ABOUT CLARK...just another smoke screen so Americas wont look deeper...but we are and we will...SKELETONS WILL FALL FROM THE MCCAIN CLOSET!!!!
    AMERICA SHOULD BE OUTRAGED BY JOHN MCCAIN!!!!

July 2, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  21. STILL FOR HILL

Is it too late for Hillary to get back in this race? Hillary, help!!!!

The American Idol voters delivered our nominee, Obama, and I guess we are stuck with him...

If only they would have voted for the candidate with experience, brains, common sense, real policies that she could explain.

Now we are stuck with a flip -lopper who is wanting to give federal funds to churches (expanding a Bush policy to pander to evangelicals). Blah..

I'm voting for someone who loves this country with all their heart... I voting for John McCain!

July 2, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. Sean

As many times as I have hear 'Must be a slow news day,' after an Obama Article makes me beleive that every day must be a slow news day for CNN.

July 2, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  23. HRC3655

Bill should have fist bumped his head.

July 2, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. Hula hoop maker

Obama and the fist bump are fads that rise quickly and then fade away...

July 2, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  25. Franky

Man, that's bogus! You gotta show some love to the shorties. Show em some paw, show em some paw! LOL!

July 2, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |