July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. G

Something so simple and innocent has been trashed and slimed. Way to go!

July 2, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. Kay

Poor little kid. That could have been a memory he'd talk about to his grandkids, but now he just has to tell them that Obama was so controlled by his handlers, he couldn't do one little gesture to make a child's day. That's far less presidential to me. Someone who disappoints his public and lets handlers tell him what to do constantly.

July 2, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. Kwikie

God, most of you fellas are so... naive.

Like this one dude(tte) who likes to think that since Barack refused the fist bump, he is doing what is politically beneficial.

Or another one saying Barack is too inexperienced and he is just trying to act presidential.

I am not even American, but I still follow this race quite closely.

The comments from some of you people are just so full of hate that your judgment seems severely impaired.

The comments are fun to read, though.

July 2, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  4. Bill, Richmond, VA

Please....this is just a stupid story. I'm older than Obama, and even I've fist bumped!!!

Can we please get back to ISSUES? Important things like the economy, the war, energy, etc... I can't believe you are covering a fist bump, or lack thereof!!!

July 2, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. jano1234

I so totally agree with Janet , Ohio and Alice in Florida.

July 2, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. Enlightened Voter

He should have put his fist in her mouth......

July 2, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. New Yorker

I heard Barack's talk to Hispanics. He said "change" over and over again. That's all he said. Now look at his political maneuvering and pandering and tell me where is this "change" he keeps talking about. Just same old same old.

McCain 08-
    Substance over Hype...

July 2, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Craig

To Mendemoi: Your post does not make any sense. Flip-flopping is a part of politics. Please tell me how many presidents actually keep their promises. Bush promised to bring integrity back to washington. If integrity means lying to the public about a war then he as done it. His top aide might end up in prison infact he as already had to commute a sentence of one of his people. You say that dems are falling for this stuff. Please take alook at the base of the republican party. You folks can told anything.

July 2, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. Ariana

Figures why nothing ever gets done in this country. This is the type of crap we talk about.

July 2, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Jean

I don't think he is ditching the fist bump as the article said:
    As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that …"
    He has said the same or similar about signing autographs or giving hugs. Maybe he was in a hurry -he does draw big crowds.
    From these posts though, some might think CNN posted this "story" to give racists like Alice in Florida a chance to call the future President derogatory names.

July 2, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. Another old white woman for Obama

CNN. Nothing but Obama hate gate here.?
    Going back to MSNBC.
    More intelligent and thoughtful posts there.
    Actually, it appears we have all decided who we will vote for. So why try to reason with anybody? They will not be moved. And neither will I.
    Obama or WWW111. Seems simple to me.

July 2, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. Don

Dana Carvey put it best: Obama is a mix of Steve Earkle and the kid from MAD. Do we really want an elitist nerd for president?

July 2, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  13. Tammy - KCMO

I don't understand why this is newsworthy? What happened to news reporting on issues? CNN you are failing the public.

July 2, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  14. SDunn

CNN how about reporting REAL NEWS!!!! For example the fact that one of McCain's financial backers is linked to financing a terrorist group! How about digging into McCain's background like you've been doing with Obama and watching his every move just like you've been doing with Obama. How about being real journalists!!! How about non-biased reporting and treating each candidate equally instead of being biased towards McCain and not reporting his gaffes???? How about earning your paychecks by doing your JOB!

July 2, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  15. Just thinking

I figure the rest of his sentance might well have been.....

I'll have to do it with everyone as I walk past this crowd, and then my fist will hurt. Try bumping your own 2 fists together 5 times. THEN, add in that its gonna be another person whose speed you cannot control – and who might have a big ring or whatever.

I agree it stinks to have to leave the kid hanging. BUT, I really don't think it would work well to bump fists into a crowd instead of offer out an open hand for a handshake or quick grasp.

July 2, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. Rob

Geez, you guys have had this story as your ticker headline for over 14 hours now. This is not real news, it's fluff. Step it up a bit!

July 2, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. Jon

Ha! Obama has been changing his mind on a lot of things lately....read: Flip-Flop!!

July 2, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Eric

Get real people. First this is such a non story that it shouldn't be on here, but in reality it didn't say anything about him "abandoning" the fist bump or being told to stop doing it. He was in the company of a bunch of kids and didn't want to get stuck having to do it reapeatedly for each and every one of them. Try actually reading a story before you post ridiculous comments.

July 2, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. Lisa Que

Wow are'nt they just the coolest!!!!

YES WE CAN AND WE WILL VOTE NOBAMA

PUMA (PAC)

July 2, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. CTP

It's terrible that all the racist facist conservatives have demonized the fist bump. I prefer the fist bump, especially when in the conservative south or midwest...or west or northeast for that matter. Conservatives do not wash their hands, and who knows who or what they've been touching.

July 2, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Jean

I meant to correct that typo – "fist" not "first" as I copied from above.

July 2, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. Amy

Please report something with substance. The fist bump is a hip-hop generation thing. It amazes me that he has to be so careful so that Old, outdated and "Ultra Conservatives" aren't scared to death.

This is so stupid, teh "Ultra Conservatives" and Crazy Right will read anything negative into whatever he says or does. It really makes people numb to there ignorant rants....Even my 10 year old mocks Hannity.,,, with his holier than thou comment "The unrepentive Terrorist William Ayers".

Barack is going to be the next president, because the US and entire world is tired of old stuff shirts trying to keep the wolrd stuck in the past.

July 2, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  23. CTP

"Alice in Florida" is just the sort of racist fascist conservative with whom you must bump fists – she's clearly a dirty racist, don't want to touch the palm of her hand. Yuck.

July 2, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  24. katey smith

How old are these people doing fist bumps??????????? Are they adults????????????????

July 2, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  25. Will

Some people just can't identify why they don't like him....so they always come up with some off the wall excuse with no evidence just unknown sources that have been proven incorrect.

He's a secret radical terrorist.
    A secrete radical raciest.
    He's a secrete radical fundamental Christian.

PLEASE PEOPLE. So basically if I use the internet and say that McCain is from the planet Zomburg where lizard people live and are attempting to take over the planet, people would probably believe it?

July 2, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |