July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Lori

No surprises here. Why would he ever dream of connecting with his constituents or their children. Again Super delegates reverse the theme and back clinton.

July 1, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. sfogal

Ha !

Now the fist bump goes under the bus....

Lets see : grandma, Rev Wright, Clark, Trinity United Church...thats one big bus !
    Dems, I understand that we do not have any choice but Obama but please lets not fool ourselves that he is a different kind of politician

July 1, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. k. hough

why shouldn't the man be able to express his happiness and enthusiasm as he desires....come on.....

July 1, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Sacto Joe

DON'T DUMP THE BUMP!

I'm a 62 year old white male, and even I do fist bumps!

July 1, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. Daisy

Flip-flops even on the fist-bump?

July 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  6. Kirk in upstate New York

I just fist bumped repeatedly with my kids. The little area between my knuckles is sore! I can see why he called it quits to public fist bumping. He'd look like Pop-Eye by inauguration if he kept that up!

July 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. independent chris

Media-driven idiots love to pidgeon-hole. Best not to give them too much rope. In demeanor, Obama is the only truly presidential candidate I've seen in many years.

July 1, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. Willow, from Iowa

I thought it was cute! You could tell by how they looked at each other that they definitely care for eachother. It is what it is. I think they make a beautiful couple, and I enjoyed seeing that. Its time to quit taking everything out of perspective and making everything out to be terrible. Anymore in politics you have to watch what you say and how you say it, and its still torn apart and analyzed, looking for any little nuance. Let's get back to the issues, and leave the fist bump alone.

I feel saddened that Obama can't even fist bump a little kid, because we all know it will be blown out of proportion and the headlines will say, "Obama trying to enlist new terrorists." this is really getting old!

July 1, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Jason, Texas

Wow, idiots in the press... um... lots of people do that morons!

July 1, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Charles

As many people as I've noticed not washing their hands, after using rest rooms; I'd say fist bumps are pretty sanitary.

July 1, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. bob in LA

I wondered how long it would last whne Michelle did it on The View.
    Can you see the First Lady bumping fists with Queen Elizibeth?

July 1, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Miko Kansas City

It's sad people have to analyze this mans every move. Pathetic.

July 1, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Dan from Ohio

To the former Clinton supporter who said, "Too bad he didn't know enough to knock it off on his own":

First off, McCain has handlers, and if you don't believe he needs them you are out of your mind (e.g., "Bomb bomb Iran.").

Second, just what exactly does Obama need to "knock off"? If it were anyone else there would be no uproar over the fist-bump. But because of his name and race it is suddenly a "terrorist fist jab!"

All of you people who are questioning Obama's faith and patriotism need to wake up and realize just how ridiculous you sound.

July 1, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  14. Susan

My husband "bumps fists" with his buddies – both black and white – my husband is white – and none of them ever thought it was a problem or a "statement".

July 1, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  15. Michele Hussein, Oregon

An example of the subtle press coverage that intentionally undermines a candidate. If it were a human interest story then O.K., but this is absolutely ridiculous and smacks of tactics to engender responses similar to the first blogger here.

Too transparent......

July 1, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Anonymous

CNN is a news organization.

Thank you folks, I'm here all weekend. Take my wife, please.

July 1, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Garee

Don't start something unless you intend to............
    What else will he stop doing to change himself into "everyman"?

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. Doug

With all of the important issues like Iraq, the economy, and health care, it's a good thing we're giving media attention to really important things like whether or not Obama does a fist bump. American politics are such a joke. It's the media's focus on this ridiculous kind of nonsense that helps cause people to overlook the issues that really matter. I normally don't go on long diatribes about the media, but I doubt 6 people not in the media would have ever thought twice about the incident had it not been reported. People are being told what they should care about...and it's not the important things.

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. Lolly

I think the photo of the two of them is quite sweet.

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. rob

This is News? The glorification of Obama is going to make people sick.

Stick to the real news and policies and please ask tough questions of these two.

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

No, Gary of El Centro, Ca, I never watched "Howie on Deal or No Deal." I watch C-Span myself.

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. Anita from Arizona

Who cares????? Issues, people, Issues.... Don't you just love it though? Me and my family have been doing that for years.

Obama 08

July 1, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  23. MJM

How rude can you get?

July 1, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  24. Vanessa

ENOUGH with the fist bump already...

July 1, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  25. Charles

Un freaking believable. Are people that ignorant that you have forced a person to let go of an extremely common -both in black and in truth more so white culture – form of greeting? I'm upset Obama would stop doing it under the pressures of the media but the truth is, he has no choice with the ridiculous amount of scrutiny he is under. It's getting hard to be proud of the people in my country.

July 1, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |