July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Bob

WHO CARES! Good lord, CNN – stop reporting on such insignificant rubbish. Crap like this is the reason Americans are becoming dumber by the second.

July 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Grover SLC, UT

"popularized the move" ??? Who ever posted this story is so far out of touch with the world, its amazing they can report the news. Just talk to Howie from deal or no deal or go to any college bar or frat house and your see fist bumps flying around like their going out of style. This act of greeting someone is main stay for most of the American youth. The list goes on of situations the fist bump is used for.
    Great reporting can't wait to see your next story. it should be about some famous person patting someone on the back and how everyone is doing it now. What a joke.
    CNN "world wide leader in news", yeah right.

July 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  3. Roger

Oh just fist bump with the kid. go to a mosque. don't worry about the people who make all sorts of judgments on you Barack, you're going to win! Who, at this stage in the game asks themselves "Is Obama a muslim?" or "what is this fist bump? Some sort of terrorist code?"? I'll tell you who, people who have been living under a rock with their fingers in their ears. In essence Mr. Obama, the uneducated, the elderly, and the republicans.

If you're gonna try to appeal for those votes, I think it's important he give a wink and a nod to his base. We're educated, but we've been burned before, so don't be surprised if his core voters are once bitten twice shy. He's supposed to represent a new kind of politics, but taking these precautions are not new.

-Roger from Aurora IL

July 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Elizabeth

Now I'm very upset that he did not do the fist bump. I'm a white woman who thought that the fist bump gesture between Barack and Michelle was very special. I thought it was a very special moment that they shared and it to me looked like a sign of UNITY between the two. My husband and I have been doing the fist bump for over two decades. That is something that we also share. There is no reason that Barack should change who he is or what he does to please anyone. He needs to be his own. I guess that is the only thing that I dislike about Obama because it seems as if he changes who he is just to not cause controversy. I feel that he doesn't need to change who he is. I'm upset about this and I think I'm may not go out and vote because he Flip Flops on too many issues!

July 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  5. baljeet

Sorry Mr obama i will not shake your hand or offer my fist to you because you are not trustworthy. You offer people the change but all i see in you is a regular politician trying to get elected at any cost.

July 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. nycdem

it's so funny watching white people monitor the "fist bump phenomenon"

July 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  7. beren

No...he doesn't want anyone to stereotype the fist bump as something blacks do.

July 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  8. Greta

I don't get it. Why not just give the little boy a fist bump?

July 1, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. Ticker Addict!

wow slooooooooooooooow news day

July 1, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. Didine in Maryland

Please give Senator Obama a break! May be he is not comfortable doing that with everybody. Michelle was the one who iniate the fist bump, and her husband can not turn her down in front of million of people. I don't believe he was rude because he refused to fist bump the boy. He just don't want to start something he is not comfortable with.

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. mike obama

Is this couple from south side chicago aping the terrorist. Please get a signature style of your own and do not xerox the terrorist. They terrorist will be thrilled at our presidential nominees behaviour for xeroxing their actions, values and culture.

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. Canuck

I'm so tired of bitter Clinton supporters clogging up these message boards. Get over it already. If you'd rather vote for a republican just because your candidate didn't receive enough delegate support to win the nomination, rather than a party with views which match yours (and you cannot honestly say that Clinton and McCain have the same views) then you're an ignorant person who isn't worthy of the ability to vote.

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. Elizabeth

I know that the fist bump is minor but the major issue here is FLIP FLOPPING on issues rather it is fist bumping or major issues! Things like this tick me off. I'm not voting for McCain and I'm may not vote for OBAMA over this. I know it may be minor to some but it is something major too me.

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. PE

Much to do about nothing; how about reporting a real story that matters, like the lunatics in the WH?

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

This has got to be one of the dumbest questions posed.... ever.....

And by the way... in the black community, its called DAP...

been around as a celebratory gesture for maybe 20 years now, in sports...

so its NOT "his" signature "fist bump"... again..... just stupid.
    Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter = complete idiot....

July 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. Elizabeth

He shouldn't sweat the small stuff a fist bump is just a fist bump, nothing sinister about it.

July 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  17. typical white person

Yet another attempt to cover up his true self...can't this guy be consistent on anything????

July 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Scott L

Ha, he keeps changing...who is this guy?

July 1, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. Jenny

Understandable and respectable. Imagine facing a crowd of outreached waving fists. He can resurrect it on the historic day he becomes PRESIDENT

July 1, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. Donna

He's probably dumping it because the media and a few "uninformed" people acted like they had NEVER seen it done before...they need to get out more...not to mention the fools that think it's a "black" thing and makes a big deal about them being too black...poor fools!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. MARYANN Oswego IL

Looks like Obama stoled that from somebody else TOO!...How much hand holding are we going do ? I want 2 new nominees...I do not like McCain's stance on Women's Rights and I do not like Obama in general. Obama lacks experience in so many things ...WAKE-UP AMERICA George W Bush was suppose to be the candidate of CHANGE!!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  22. Former Obama Supporter

Speech writers to tell him how to talk and what to say

Advisors (tutors) to correct him everytime he mishandles policy issues

Clothing and make-up do-overs for MO becuase she doesn't know how to dress

All this equals unprepared for the position of POTUS.

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  23. Tim from WV

Why not? He has already ditched his pastor/friend, church, and Grandmother becaused they caused a little flack. He stands for nothing!

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  24. Art, Del Mar, CA

The insanity of a culture that is so completely bored..that a fist bump becomes newsworthy. What next?...after a while, he'll be afraid to hug his kids or blow his nose.

July 1, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  25. Cynthia

I don't think it is that he is over it but if he had started doing it in a crowd everyone would have wanted a fist bump.

July 1, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |