July 2nd, 2008

Obama over fist bumping?

Barack Obama and wife Michelle famously fist bumped when the Illinois senator captured the Democratic nomination.

(CNN) - Is Obama ditching his signature fist bump?

According to Tuesday's press pool report, the Illinois senator refused to bump fists with a boy as he was touring the Eastside Community Ministry in Zanesville, Ohio.

As the boy outstretched his first, Obama said no and added, "If I start that ..."

His voice then trailed off.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate popularized the move last month when he and his wife Michelle bumped fists on the night he formally captured the party's presidential nomination.

Watch: The famous fist bump

Video of the duo fist bumping became widely popular on the internet, leading the Washington Post to declare it “the first bump heard ‘round the world.'”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. AKRON, OHIO OBOMA SUPPORTER

oboma do not change a thing. stay the person that you are.

July 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  2. nihtastic

Obama popularized fist bumping? You have got to be kidding me, do you people live under a rock? have you seen any form of media like TV perhaps in the last ten years?

July 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. richard

oh my god! another terrorist fist jab? noooooo!

republicans are stupid.

July 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. Pat

Good, now maybe the media will stop acting like Obama invented this.

July 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. Matthew

CNN is really showing how old they are. Did Obama really "popularize" the fist bump? I'm 25, and I know it's been around, and "popular" for at least ten years. Off the top of my head- watch "Any Given Sunday" with Jamie Foxx where the interviewer asks for Jamie to "pound the love, dawg". Why was this fist bump news? Did old people really know nothing about "pounding"?

July 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  6. THE KID

I agree with Gary, no need to dump something because of someone on Fox. She got fired anyhow I think. Never could figure out why they had her on in the first place, wasn't that attractive. Sometimes she said stuff that was so off track , I wanted to throw something through the TV at her . I really do not know why I watch Fox either. And while I am at it , did not see anything wrong with General Clark statement either. We got them running scared . I am the Kid and I approve this message. Peace out.

July 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  7. wiser

Oh I guess now, Senator Obama has thrown the fist bump under the bus along with campaign finance reform, his new patriotic logo, Reverend Wright, his grandmother, etc!

Does he really stand for anything?

Democrats for McCain!

July 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  8. jason twombley- missouri

no big deal folks, the fist bump tween OB and his wife is THEIR business, get life Clinton/McCain person....life goes on with or without you, and/or a fist bump.

July 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. The Lady

This fist bump is for Mr. and Mrs. Obama, something they share together.

July 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. Dan, MA

Doesn't make me think less of him either way. I don't think fist pounding or handshaking makes anyone less official. Nobody shakes hands at arms' length anymore, but we don't accuse them of that.

July 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. Kevin

OK I am by no means an Obama supporter, but why is a fist bump a big deal? I mean athletes do it, friends do it, heck my dad and I do it when we get to play golf once a year. To me Obama quitting that is just another example of how he hids who he is and tries to just appease people for their vote. He is proving he is a phony more and more every day.

July 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  12. Joe G

Obama has absolutely no experience to be President, but he's a heck of fist bumper. He should keep it up!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. Chris in Va.

Congrats, the Repugs have made this non story into a story evidently, anything to draw attention away from the real issues. Their mushroom approach (keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em crap) to the American people is amazing. What's more amazing is most American people don't see through it.

July 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. mike of auburn, wa

He should keep doing it! It shows a much needed authenticity in a campaign that is starting to look way too Hollywoodish!

July 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  15. Allison- Mclean, Va

Wow, how many soldiers died today. What were there names? How many people lost their jobs this week? How many people are getting foreclosures?

Oh wait, the way Obama greets or doesn't greet his supporters is much more important than anything thing that actually effects people's lives.

July 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  16. Andrew

...Who cares? Fist bumps *hopefully* don't factor into most people's decision in November.

July 1, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  17. RealityKing

Obama left the boy hang'n, jJust like he'll do to America..

July 1, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  18. Edward

Was the country sleeping for the past decade?

People have been "fist-bumping" for a LONG time now. There really are 2 Americas

July 1, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  19. mike obama

There is an old saying. You dont dtrust a man who laughs and you dont trust a woman who cries. Go figure!!!!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  20. Marcia

Talk about the power of the right-wing media! They tell the clueless white midwestern tract-house retirees who are the only people on the planet who don't know what a dap is that it's a "terrorist fist bump" and suddenly it's a big magilla.

Why do people seem to need cultural sameness – even blandness – to be comfortable with candidates? The Bush administration should be enough to put us of Wonderbread candidates forever! I don't know how anyone can even consider following him up with McCain. No texture, no flavor, no substance – but boy is he American and white!

July 1, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  21. 2012

Wonder how that would go over with Vladimir Putin.....lol!

The thing I like best lately is his new favorite word, "inartful". How noncommittal.........

“Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”

July 1, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. Ryan, Trussville, AL

I think that there are security considerations as well. I'm sure that Secret Service detail would prefer to see open hands. I suspect that he will still "fist bump" those that he is in close contact with. On the whole, though, this is much ado about nothing. My best wishes to both Obama and McCain.

July 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. wow

Of all the things to cave on. What the heck?! It's no different than a high-five. Toughen up Obama. This makes you look beyond weak.

July 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Sidney

Obama all the way to the Presidency.

July 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. busyatwork

How rude of Obama to reject this poor boy! He was probably counseled by his advisors against fist-bumping and, as in his usual form, "nixed" the gesture in order to increase is electability. It's what he did with Rev. Wright and his church (and no black church for him in the future, he says because voters won't understand), because Rev. Wright called him what he is: a politician who will say anything to get votes.

July 1, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |