July 4th, 2008

Obama may accept nomination at NFL stadium

Obama may accept the party's nomination at Invesco Field.
Obama may accept the party's nomination at Invesco Field.

(CNN) - Call it location, location, location.

Barack Obama's campaign is thinking of having the Democratic presidential candidate give his presidential nomination acceptance speech at a football stadium rather than in the arena in Denver, Colorado, where the Democratic National Convention is being held.

CNN has confirmed that discussions are underway between the campaign and Denver's convention organizing committee to move the senator from Illinois' acceptance speech from the Pepsi Center, a basketball and hockey arena which seats around 20,000 people, to Invesco Field at Mile High. The football stadium where the Denver Broncos play can seat around 75,000 people.

A bigger crowd could make for a more compelling picture and image.

One problem could be the weather. The stadium is open aired, and susceptible to afternoon and evening summer thunderstorms, while the arena is closed to the elements.

The story was first reported in the Los Angeles Times and by the Associated Press.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Shannon Gilson told the AP that no decisions have been made.

The Democrats' presidential nominating convention is scheduled to open on Monday August 25 and close with Obama's acceptance speech on Thursday, August 28.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Gramma Faye /Idaho

I have been wondering for a very long time who his stage director is. That person should be up for an Emmy or Oscar, Tony or what ever. This whole Dem party that has backed him has been a stage show.
    No wonder that so many people treat him like a star instead of Presidential material. I sure would like to here about his real changes. He is starting to sound like he has taken pages from Hillary's play book and mixed it up with some very strange, forgien and out dated ideas.
    The Dems burned their platform many yrs ago so I went Independent but it is still trying to figure out the "lessor of 2 evils" to vote for. This is really a very scary time for voters if you really look at everything.

July 4, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. Bad COMPANY!!!

Alice in Florida .......HOW DARE Nancy the Crow, Howard the Scream, Ted the Killer, and Oprah the Fat Dancing Hippo STEAL MY VOTE when it would have made a DIFFERENCE?????????????????????
    …I’m SO HAPPY that I’m no longer a Democrat ....HUH ....STILL MISERABLE!!!......ALICE The NUT CRACKER!!!!!....You hate RICH PEOPLE!!!

July 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. Dr. Bob

I hope it rains.

July 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. saga4obama

Lars Larson...
    YOU FORGOT..
    MCCAIN:
    ECONOMICS: WHAT ARE THOSE

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION: WHAT SOMEONE HAS TO CLEAN MY 10 HOMES

LOBBYIST: ALL FOR THEM

MILITARY RECORDS: SHHH... HOW DARE YOU LET AMERICA KNOW THAT I GAVE UP MILITARY INFORMATION..

McCain's slogan...Vote for me, I'm White...err i mean right?

July 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. The Obamas Rock

Spew your racist, hateful drivel all you want, folks. It ain't gonna change the trajectory of this presidential election. Obama will win. It doesn't matter whether it will be a landslide or narrow victory. A win is a win and this will be the BIGGEST win in U.S. history.

As for racists animals like Texas Trail dog and Alice in Florida, they use the blogs to sound off because they wouldn't dare spew their nonsense directly to the faces of black people. You are cowards, plain and simple. Nobody is afraid of you and nobody cares how you feel. Please, I dare you to say that foolishness to me. Fortunately, there are far fewer of you than there are decent, un-biased, Americans.

It's so easy to sound like an idiot in print. Be brave and take the chance of getting your head knocked off by saying how you really feel to the people that matter.

July 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Connie

Probably still not big enough, I bet McBush will hold his acceptance speech in the rose garden so all the Bush's can give him a big hug and a kiss. Barack Hussein Obama 08

Connie"Hussein"Sturgeon from Indiana

July 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. A nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

HERE IS HOW retired Gen. Wesley Clark chose to peddle Barack Obama for President over John McCain:

"(McCain) hasn't held executive responsibility. That large squadron in the Navy that he commanded - that wasn't a wartime squadron. I don't think getting in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to become President."

Hasn't held executive responsibility? Let's see, Obama's executive responsibilities have included what? Right. The answer is: nothing. And thank you, Gen. Clark, for pointing out that John McCain commanded the largest fighter squadron in the U.S. Navy. He didn't just command it; he turned it around.

"Although plagued by fatal accidents in the past, the squadron had no fatalities under his command . . . and won its first meritorious unit citation. Mr. McCain's success attracted notice among the admirals in Washington," The New York Times reported in 2000.

McCain's qualifications do not come from being shot down. They come from a career in military and foreign affairs in which McCain displayed an uncommon strength of character and developed a sound judgment in those fields, which are so critical to the United States in this dangerous world.

His opponent, a career lawyer and politician, has shown that his own judgment in those areas is naive and ill-considered. Clark highlights those differences every time he seeks to denigrate McCain's service.

July 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Make Love Not War

A SERIOUS PYSCHOLOGICAL STUDY AND ANALYSIS OF THE

RACIST AND BIGOTTED PEOPLE POSTING HERE IS CRUCIAL.

SURELY THERE'S A DEFICIENCY OR SOMETHING

MISSING FROM THEIR FRONTAL LOBES, MEDULLA OBLANGATAS,

OR SOME PART OF THE BRAIN.

WHAT IDIOTS THEY ARE IF THEY'VE FORGOTTEN THAT

MR. BARACK OBAMA IS WHITE TOO!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

OBAMA 2008/2012

July 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Shannon

Randy
    It's nice to see that you are so sensitive now that the name calling is directed at Obama. You choose to see racism where none exists. Where was your outrage when Obama supporters were trashing HIllary Clinton with every name in the book. Where were you then, did you call on CNN to moderate the hate directed at her by the hope and change supporters that wanted Obama elected. You are such a hypocrite to cry foul now, when it was Obama and his supporters who trashed and demeaned a great woman everyday so he could get elected. I hope that CNN lets this post through, so you know that we are on to what a huge hypocrite you are. You certainly are nothing new in the Obama campaign, you cry racism over every negative comment. You use race to divide us. Why don't you talk about what Obama stands for other than "hope and change". You can't because he stands for nothing. Since he got the nomination, he has back peddled on FISA, gun control, the death penalty, faith based Initiatives, public funding and now most importantly pulling our troops out. This man is a phony and you support him with your racism whining.

July 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. Kevin

I'm so fed up with seeing this guy all over the place. It's like the story of 'The Emporers New Clothes' . People need to wake up fast.

July 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Josh Schreiner

Can his ego get any bigger? I don't know, we might have to move his acceptence speech to the moon to fit.

July 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. tigerakabj

To Mama4Obama, thank you.

Those that want to remain in the past, stay there. Or move. Get used to hearing President Obama. You can't stop history being made. MLK Jr. said this day would come 45 years ago.

I dare McCain to give his speech again while Barac is giving his. Lets see the contrasts again like we did on June 3.

July 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  13. Hispanic For McCain

HIspanic for Obama
    Being a Hispanic myself, I know that what you are saying on how Hispanics will vote is so true!! They will vote for Mc Cain, the polls are not true reflecting that Obama has the Latino vote, he doesn't and will not have it.

Nevertheless, I am a Democrat, I am a Hillary supporter, and I will be voting for Obama in this election. Why??? Because I am sick and tire of paying the high prices at the pump, I want this senseless war to end, I want more jobs created, affordable healthcare etc….. etc.

Hispanic for OBAMA I happen to be a Dem myself and this clown OBAMA is a flip flop, a total Fruad and not for the Hispanic People. I am also a Hillary Supported and let me tell you my friend all of Hillary Latinos Connection is not going to support OBAMA. That is fact and you know it!!!! the Puertorican people in NY don't trust him, and I am sure the Mexican people to include the Cuban people and all the Hispanic BROTHERS AND SISTERS don't trust Obama. So my Friend my advise to you is to get with the PROGRAM and Join our fellow LATINOS (Hispanic) people and join a true American Hero John McCain. Remember John McCain is a American First before his Party and The Hispanic people respect that very much!!!! Sabe lo que paso en nueva York cuando David Dinkie era el Alcarde Y que paso el no quiso al Ferrer Hispanic (LATINO) se Alcarde en Nueva York y eso los Puertoriquenos Y todos los hispanos no se OLVIDA!!!!!!!! That is why the LATINOS Nation will support McCain. This question to you? what has OBAMA done for the Hispanic people guess what NOTHING NADA!!!

July 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |