July 4th, 2008

Obama may accept nomination at NFL stadium

Obama may accept the party's nomination at Invesco Field.
Obama may accept the party's nomination at Invesco Field.

(CNN) - Call it location, location, location.

Barack Obama's campaign is thinking of having the Democratic presidential candidate give his presidential nomination acceptance speech at a football stadium rather than in the arena in Denver, Colorado, where the Democratic National Convention is being held.

CNN has confirmed that discussions are underway between the campaign and Denver's convention organizing committee to move the senator from Illinois' acceptance speech from the Pepsi Center, a basketball and hockey arena which seats around 20,000 people, to Invesco Field at Mile High. The football stadium where the Denver Broncos play can seat around 75,000 people.

A bigger crowd could make for a more compelling picture and image.

One problem could be the weather. The stadium is open aired, and susceptible to afternoon and evening summer thunderstorms, while the arena is closed to the elements.

The story was first reported in the Los Angeles Times and by the Associated Press.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Shannon Gilson told the AP that no decisions have been made.

The Democrats' presidential nominating convention is scheduled to open on Monday August 25 and close with Obama's acceptance speech on Thursday, August 28.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lim

The Obama campaign runs like the housing bubble: a manipulative
    Ponzi scheme – a lot of speculative frenzi with utterly no real values.

The question is will it peak in time comes November or will it have crashed by then.

July 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. Toby Turner

What a great idea! Obama's crowds have consistently maxed the space available. What a meaningful message to have standing room only and lines around the parking lot after seating 75,000 people in the stadium! What an inspirational message to the US and International communities who await his promised change! Remembering the crowd at Bill Clinton's Presidential Library opening ceremony, we understand that the weather does not uninspire greatness and it does not uninspire support for landmark events!

July 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Billy "Hussien" Joel

Look you yahoos .... just because CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser said ....

"A bigger crowd could make for a more compelling picture and image" ...

should you really be denegrading Senator Obama's message?

You're like a bitter Christy Brinkley, in her 4th divorce proceeding. You are looking for anything that you can remote attribute as a negative to the man whether it is relevant or truthful, or not!

July 4, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Glad for America, FL

A bigger venue is an excellent idea and including a greater number of non-delegates is a refreshing change. After 8 years of incredible destruction by the present administration, Americans, including a record number of Republicans, are aching for a smart, articulate president who will choose to put billions into domestic programs, in order to bring back prosperity, instead of wasting tax-payers' dollars on an endless, wasteful, bogus war.

July 4, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. Willy

The stadium is not large enough.
    Put all the people who are going to vote against him in and the stadium and 100 more just like it wouldn't hold them all.

July 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. Ron- democrat turned independent via HILLARY then obama

DUH:

AMERICA knows he's been nominated. why the fanfare?isn't there thousands of charities that could really use this wasted money like those poor communities he left in chicago new style politics way to go obama

July 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. No Obama

God don't like ugly.

There may still be hope that this self-proclaimed false prophet will fall.

America is in deep trouble if this self-serving, self-impressed do nothing politician gets elected.

The whole thing is a media circus. We are not electing a leader, we are creating a historic moment by installing a 1/2 African American in the office of the presidency.

July 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  8. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

PUMAs, consider that many of those that are calling you sore losers are McCain supporters trying to make you angry or keep you angry.

I'm so amazed when I read these posts of how someone can look at the same situation and walk away with such different opinions of it. It is due to the perspective we bring into the situation. I wish more people had open minds.

July 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. Denver D

Wow! This is so exciting – maybe my girlfriend and I will get a chance to go!!! Denver is a great place to be.

July 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  10. Donna

Is becoming president of the United States all about show? When will Mr. Obama, CNN, and other news media tell about the real Obama? He is after all the MOST liberal senator that we have. The media has put a filter over the cameral lens so as not to show the real person and what he really wants for this country. The people say that they want change – really? What kind of change? What has this man done so far in his career that shows us that he can lead? He is a media star, nothing else. I have been disappointed by presidential candidates before but I have never been afraid of what the future holds if a particular candidate was elected. Now "for the first time in my adult life", I am frightened at the prospect of a President Obama.

I am not surprised that the Obamas would want a bigger show. His whole campaign is all show, bells and whistles – NO SUBSTANCE. Why should his nomination speech be any different?

July 4, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. Alice in Florida

HOW DARE Nancy the Crow, Howard the Scream, Ted the Killer, and Oprah the Fat Dancing Hippo STEAL MY VOTE when it would have made a DIFFERENCE?????????????????????????????????

…I’m SO HAPPY that I’m no longer a Democrat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, PS to The Precious- what makes you SO SURE you'll be the nominee? LOTS of things could STILL make Hillary the nominee, skunk in a suit with a big butt vampire with a tan Jackie-wanna-be anti-American, BUCK-UGLY (inside and out) TOTALLY RACIST fist-bumping – oh, sorry – it's called a DAP in the Hood – wife

I'm still waiting to hear you debate, Mr. Um, uh, no need to, um, uh, um, debate, um, uh, Dean the, um, uh Scream (with some help from Ted, um, the Killer and Nancy the, um Crow) has, um, already, um, uh, declared me, um, King of the, um, 57 states – wanna hear my latest SPEECH????????? It will move all of CNN's reporters (LOL) to tears – they will compare me to JFK and MLK while the KoolAid drinking Obamabots chant, "OH,YES, RACIST BROTHER!!!! WE CAN AND WE WILL!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE SO BEHIND YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!" They can't come up with another reason as to why they are behind him......and you can't call me racist, even though you will

I was the token White female in an office many years ago, and I was immersed into the Black mindset and culture for over three years, and I have to say that despite having real racist relatives (I am a first-generation American born of Eastern European parents who never even SAW a Black person until they came here after WW II), I NEVER saw racism at it's UGLIEST until I was immersed into the Black culture – it was an EYE-OPENING, believe me – AMEN, Black brothers and sistuhs – Whitey is to blame for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! AIDS, the way we treats our womenfolks and our chilluns, the reason we be's poor, unedumacated, why we calls our women ho's, why we be's jailed, the whole bejesus EVERYTHING

PUMA PAC

July 4, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. Tom

What a huge Ego. He has a Messiah Complex. All the kids who follow him around are the same kids who's parents never took them to Church. If it wasn't for Obama many of these kids would be Hare Krsihnas. They are projecting all their wants and needs on Obama's blank canvas. He's just taking advantage of them. His campaign manager David Axelrod is marketing Obama like he's going to bring "change" when in fact he's just a typical politician.

July 4, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Willy

Counting the chickens before they are hatched.

He is NOT the nominee, and may NOT be. There is always hope.

July 4, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. AT

I think this is a wonderful idea. I am on my way to Denver! This is a great time for America. It is amazing that Senator Obam will accept this nomination on the 45th anniversary of the March on Washington. My family was at that march and I will be with some of them at this event as well. I am humbled and elated that God has blessed my father and others that have endured the attrocities of Jim Crow to see such an amazing day in American History. Whereever this event takes place it will not be big enough to hold the people that will attend. I totally ignore the negative posts and I celebrate the accomplishments of my people, Black, White, Hispanic, Native American, it does not matter. I see my students for the first time actually talking politics and they are totally engaged! People are voting in record numbers in states that they were denied the vote just 40 years ago. What a time in our History!!! Let us celebrate! I will see you in Denver, with my 98 year old aunt! What a time!!!!

July 4, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  15. John Robert

Obama and McCain are so similar now that it would be good if Obama chose McCain as his VP. McCain could help Obama with his decisions on the Iraq War. He could really refine all of Obama's positions so we can stay there for another 8 years (all this talk of 100 years is balderash because the President can serve only two terms) so we can plunder Iraq's oil–don't forget that big oil just made a deal with the Iraqi gov't.

July 4, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  16. PF Harlock

Individuals like this so called "Disappointed Dem" who throw around analogies equating Barack Obama supporters with religious followers need to get a grip on their paranoia. You're the creepy ones, folks.

July 4, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. bluebird

Oh, good he's going to be spending more of the supporter's money cause he obviously has this race tied up so he doesn't have be fiscally oriented much like his planned policies.

July 4, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. tom, boston

HAVE A BLAST, SENATOR OBAMA, WHEREVER IT MAY BE.

jesse helms DEAD. one pig out, and about 85 more to go.

July 4, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  19. Spell Check

how do you spell EGOMANIAC ?????????????????

My God haven't we already had enough of this guy ????

July 4, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. John Hussein Riley

Actually Steve, Hitler was a very smart man and a good speaker. But it wasnt he himself that turned Germany around, it was THE PEOPLE who came together for the common good. Unfortunately he took his power and perverted it later on. Obama is gaining momentum because the people believe in him. By your statement, are you saying Obama is going to persecute the jews when he gets into office or are you just using good old fashioned scare tactics that you've been taught for years?

July 4, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. William, from Cali!

Do something, that would be "Diffrent for a Change". If the nomination does come to Obama, and by all signs it should; he should just accept it 'with homage"and move on. The "real work" shall begin, 1/20/2009..................and beyond......................... Hopefully, there will be plenty "other times", ahead; to celebrate something more important.

July 4, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. Lynn

I understand his ego and arrogance problem. You might not believe in this but he is a Leo. I don't really, but I have read about it. I'm not the type to check the horoscope or anything like that. I'm also a Leo and matter of fact we both were born on August 4th. When I was younger I had the same problems but of course not on his magnitude.

July 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. annoyed

"lois July 4th, 2008 11:53 am ET

American, McCain doesn’t' t have to prove his patriotism like Obama."

Why, because he is white?

July 4, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  24. 2012

Hey, "American" (not much of one, IMO), McCain is honoring his country by holding no events today. Barry, by campaigning on the 4th of July, clearly is putting his own ambition above any respect for our nation.

And, sure, he can fill up Mile High, he'll just have another free concert before his speech, just like he did in Portland. It's sad how little it takes to buy votes these days.

July 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. capitalist

Oregon4Obama July 4th, 2008 11:55 am ET

Think about it, did anyone know the name Barack Obama in 2006? Probably not……but His vision for this country, his policies and his organization are what has propelled him from a nobody 19 months ago, to a worldwide recognizable figure……

Obama08

_____________________________________________________

what exactly are his policies and his vision??? he has yet to let us in on that stuff...just says key words like change and phrases like yes we can...he is a great speaker though...i guess that's enough to elect him president for some of you...

July 4, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |