July 7th, 2008

Bush gets high-flying birthday party

President Bush celebrated his birthday on Air Force One with first lady Laura Bush and White House staff members.

HOKKAIDO, Japan (CNN) – It was a birthday celebration in the skies, as President Bush turned 62 aboard Air Force One while en route to Japan where Bush is attending the summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations.

First Lady Laura Bush and White House staff members gathered in the conference room on Air Force One late Saturday night eastern time, where a steward dimmed the lights as the crowd waited for the birthday celebrant to arrive, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said.

On the table was a "large" coconut cake with a single burning candle and the words "Happy Birthday President Bush" on it.

The crowd called out "surprise" as President Bush walked into the room and then sang Happy Birthday, Perino said.

Bush "dutifully pretended to be surprised" and blew out the candle, Perino said. It was not known whether he made a birthday wish.

After cutting and serving the cake, the health-conscious president ate a "small" piece of birthday cake, she said.

There was no word on what he gifts he received from family members, but Perino noted the president was sporting a new teal-colored tie.

White House staffers presented Bush with birthday notes and cards - well-wishes delivered in a small wooden box with his initials carved on top.

The box was carved by a Texas woodworker with wood from an old Scarlett Oak tree that grace the north lawn of the White House until it fell last year.

The tree was planted in 1892 by the great granddaughter of President Benjamin Harrison, according to Perino.

Filed under: George W. Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Tired of W, OH

I'm not sure what I dislike more, Bush's smirking face or coconut cake? Oh, well.... Enjoy your last B-Day as president. For your next birthday, I hope you're standing trial on war crimes.

July 7, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  2. Tony

I hope Bush lives a long, long life and suffers nightmares daily about the tens of thousands he has murdered, lied to, cheated, and what he has done to this country. I know I'm asking a lot, as he has no conscience.

July 7, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  3. Sean

Happy Birthday Mr. Bush!

You may not be the best president, or have the best policies, but you do work hard. Even on your birthday, you take no time to rest and have a lavish party. You have one on the way to a meeting, in a conference room, with a small piece of cake. You always care about your health, and you are a hardworking, consistent person. You may not be the role model President, but you are a role model American citizen. Thank you and Happy Birthday!!!!

July 7, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  4. Tony

They say you get wiser as you get older. Bush sure blew that one out of the water.

July 7, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  5. Eric Sotelo

President Bush had the toughest job that any President had ever had to do. If Clinton had been there, we would have angered our enemies even more. If anyone other than Bush was there, we would have been worse off. Say what you will about Bush, he did exactly what i would have done, under the extreme situation that was handed to him. He was given a crap plate full of al Quaeda and other enemies which The Clintons did not deal with.
    Good job President Bush, you have shown much character, even when you have losers putting you down for what you believe in.

July 7, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  6. John in Columbus Ohio

"Ma birthday wish is dat peoples will rememba me as better then ah am"

I give it about 25-50 years, maybe less, before "Bush" is a swear word that gets censored by word filters.

July 7, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  7. brian

Congratulations Mr. President...........you have done an outstanding job with providing the country with true leadership. Unfortunately the challenged educational system has prevented many with the ability to reason and use common sense to understand the real world and how it works.

Well done!

July 7, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  8. Thomas

I don't like Mr. Bush as my President. I don't even have a lot of respect for Mr. Bush as a person. But I can still wish him a happy birthday and hope that he and his family have a long and healthy life together.

July 7, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  9. Morgan

im not sayin anything good or bad about George Bush but it was a difficult decicion. I mean what would any of you have done instead?

So stop knocking on Bush and leave him alone

July 7, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  10. Really

Happy Birthday Mr. President. Thank you for your service and standing up for what you believe in. I hope people wake up and see the good that you have done and the hard decisions you had to make. God bless.

July 7, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  11. STILL VOTING FOR HILARY!

who cares

July 7, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  12. stephanie salas

Happy Birthday, Mr. Bush. I did not vote for you in either election. I respect you as a human being. Many people are blaming you for the economy, high gas prices, and an unpopulare war. I do not blame you. I realize that as with any problem in life, their are many factors that contribute to that problem. The important thing is to be able to elucidate the solutions to a particular problem. And more importantly, one must have faith that the problem will be resolved in due time. I thank you for your role as President and wish you and your family well in your post-presidential years. God Bless you.

July 7, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  13. proud army and navy mom

it is truly amazing how a man that is responsible for so many innocent lives being taken and people as we speak, getting injured and killed could have the audacity to celebrate anything.

July 7, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  14. Turnabout is Fair Play

I will not wish the silver spoon fed idiot a happy birthday, God saw fit to give him another year but then having millions of dollars of oil profits from lobbyists (Big Oil) can buy even the best of health for even the most undeserving of retards even if it continues to cost the lives of our fighting men and women in Iraq to do it. Give us the present of your absence REAL soon and take your trained barking seals in this blog with you, "Mr. President"..Gawd, gotta go wash my mouth out with Listerine now..

July 7, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. Charlotte

I guess 30% of the people, wish him well. I don't wish him ill, I just wished he had lost the election in 2000. I still don't know how he won in 2004. It will be more puzzling when Obama loses in November. The year that should have been a blowout for Democrats, is not looking too good at this point in time. We had 7 plus years of promised change, and it is all that is left in our pockets. We don't need empty promises and nice speaches, we need solutions. I cannot understand why this race is still too close to call. Could it be, the people are now seeing the real Obama? I will write Hillary on my ballot in November, I will not stay home. I have always voted, and this year is no exception.

July 7, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  16. Republican for Obama

I'd rather keep celebrating the Country's Birthday than think to even wish Bush a happy birthday.

Happy Birthday America! And Happy Birthday again on January 20th when we will have President Obama and a reborn country!

July 7, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  17. Jay

Happy B day Bush from all the soldiers that died because you lied.

July 7, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  18. ......

happy birthday.....

July 7, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  19. H-ROD

what about all the 9/11 victims dead U.S. troops dead Iraqi people who will not have brithdays because of this criminal the people know and will bring him to justice !!!!!

July 7, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. Jeff in Hampshire, IL

197 days and counting...

July 7, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  21. Kevin @ Maryland

For all those who believe that we should go easy on President Bush let I remind you of a few "intelligent" quotes that our good president is responsible for saying.

"Most imports are from outside of the country."

“Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness.”

"There's an old saying in Tennessee – I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee...that says, fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again.”

“It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas.”

(Does he know that the word import means to bring in?)

“It's exciting; I don't know whether I'm going to win or not. I think I am. I do know I'm ready for the job. And, if not, that's just the way it goes.”

“I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun.”

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.”

This is just a few. My personal favorite being the Texas/Tennessee one. If you are going to wish President Bush a happy birthday at least do it right. President Bush congratulations on reaching the monumental age of 62 on air force one. There will be a part of me that is sad to see you leave the office, mainly because comedy central will not have any more George Bush material :(

OBAMA '08

July 7, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. Spirit of America

Only 62 candles blown out? It should have been more like 4,000+ American lives and hundreds of thousands of other lives he snuffed out with his illegal, immoral war based on his lies.

July 7, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  23. Richard, FL

Why are we giving him this around the world trip? He has had more time off than any president including Reagan.

July 7, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  24. Not so good for the party

How many more years of stupidity this country will have to suffer.? 62 years of pure greed and stupidity are not enough? But he is aptly named Bush as that is what he has in his head! Dried Bush!

July 7, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |