July 7th, 2008

Bush gets high-flying birthday party

President Bush celebrated his birthday on Air Force One with first lady Laura Bush and White House staff members.

HOKKAIDO, Japan (CNN) – It was a birthday celebration in the skies, as President Bush turned 62 aboard Air Force One while en route to Japan where Bush is attending the summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations.

First Lady Laura Bush and White House staff members gathered in the conference room on Air Force One late Saturday night eastern time, where a steward dimmed the lights as the crowd waited for the birthday celebrant to arrive, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said.

On the table was a "large" coconut cake with a single burning candle and the words "Happy Birthday President Bush" on it.

The crowd called out "surprise" as President Bush walked into the room and then sang Happy Birthday, Perino said.

Bush "dutifully pretended to be surprised" and blew out the candle, Perino said. It was not known whether he made a birthday wish.

After cutting and serving the cake, the health-conscious president ate a "small" piece of birthday cake, she said.

There was no word on what he gifts he received from family members, but Perino noted the president was sporting a new teal-colored tie.

White House staffers presented Bush with birthday notes and cards - well-wishes delivered in a small wooden box with his initials carved on top.

The box was carved by a Texas woodworker with wood from an old Scarlett Oak tree that grace the north lawn of the White House until it fell last year.

The tree was planted in 1892 by the great granddaughter of President Benjamin Harrison, according to Perino.

Filed under: George W. Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Robert

If there's any justice in this world he'll celebrate his next birthday in jail after being convicted of crimes against humanity. He's a disgrace.

July 7, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  2. cowpie@hotmail

Happy B-Day Bush dog...Please out live that nut Carter. Thank you for all the good thing you brought to us. Hopefully, the house/congress can do something for a change.

July 7, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  3. Michael

Happy Birthday, President Bush,

Thank you for doing the unpopular thing and keeping us safe after 9/11. And thank you very much for irritating liberals–oh, excuse me–progressives. They're a sour, not very bright bunch, aren't they?

July 7, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  4. PS from Tennessee

Dubya ought to send a coconut cake to all the families who have lost their loved ones in Iraq. These soldiers will never celebrate another birthday. He could pay for these cakes with his dividend checks from all his oil stock.

Happy Birthday Jerk!

July 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. Emily

Happy Birthday President Bush, you are respected and wished well. I admire your courage and committment. It has been so good to have a President who is not afraid of the Press and willing to stand up for what he believes. God Bless You!

July 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Michael

Teri, your bromide that "war isn't good for the planet" is such a shibboleth. War is good for one thing: avoiding acquiesence in slavery.

July 7, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. GB

Hapyy Birthday Mr. President, and thank you for your service.
    You are the best , History will confirm.

July 7, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  8. David, Silver Spring, MD

I'd send him a present except that I was laid off when my job was shipped to China, had my house foreclosed, can't afford the gas to go shopping, have huge medical bills because I lost my medical insurance when my employer shipped my job overseas, and I can barely afford to send my kid to college.

But I hope he has a terrific birthday. Maybe he could hire me to clean up after he's done. Maybe I could sneak out a slice of cake for my kids.

Yippee.

July 7, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  9. RJ, CA

"Psychobetic", above = Psychobabble!

July 7, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

I hope, for a present, someone sends him a box of freshly picked stickers. He's sure been a thorn in our side for the past 8 years!

July 7, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  11. Al, NY NY

The best birthday present this dolt could get would be a brain transplant. Remove the pint-sized stem that's there now, replace it with a human brain, and then LEAVE.

July 7, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  12. Saad from NJ

Of course he made a wish: Dear Lord, you are the creator. You know everything. You know very well that I am not as bad as people have made me out to be and most definitely not as evil as people think I am. So please put in peoples hearts to not think of me that way and not confuse me with Cheney and Rummy. You know they are bad and evil but not me my dear lord. Amen.

Happy B'Day and God Bless you dear President.

July 7, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  13. Don Almquist

There is an old adage: Time wounds all heels!!

July 7, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  14. ARB

Enough with all the bashing of President Bush....the american people have nobody to blame but themselves.....we got him elected into office so now we get to suffer the consequences.....if you people wanna be pissed off at someone look in the mirror.

July 7, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  15. John Thomas

Although I'd like to quip that he probably cried for not getting something at some point, cheap shots at him are kind of like kicking a blind person. Cheney's been the president. Bush is kind of like his agent, press secretary, and puppet wrapped in one package.

To K who said:
    "As a millionaire with tons of stock in oil I think Bush is doing a fine job as President, anyone who has anything bad to say about him is a traitor to America and is just jealous they arent rich

God Bless President Bush and make sure to vote for John McCain in November"

I am not a millionaire, and I admit to being envious of people who do not have financial concerns at this present moment. But it is a healthy envy that goes away. I have a family to support, and I do what I can, and make a salary that would have afforded some comfort 8 years ago.

What does not go away is my horror and disgust at the possibility that there are people that really feel, think and act the way you do. That kind of thinking is a childish and short-sighted as it gets.

But in honor of the birthday of this childish and short-sighted administration's leader, I'll indulge. Judgements are a 2 way street – as for you or anyone who as a good thing to say about Bush, you are probably the product of nepotism, inheritance, or extreme insecurity over how your material possessions affect your perception of yourself and others perception of you. If you did not have what you had, you literally and figuratively would be nothing, and would think of yourself as nothing. There's a good chance you have small equipment as well.

July 7, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  16. Tosin

I wonder how many burial of dead soldiers in Iraq he could have gone to or their graves to honor them for his push to the war that have cost them their lives. I am amazed hes the only US President i know of that is having high flying birthdays when troops are being killed by the false lies that led them to their deaths and injuries.

For all those dead troops who have served their country with honor and wont have a day to celebrate birthday with their children and love ones, may God bless your family and let your birthdays be of joy that you fought for a country you love and not of sadness that you are gone.

Even CNN can push for the truth about the invasion, but have ample time to publish this article...may the blood be on everyone that drum the bells for War.

July 7, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. Ohiovoter

Happy Birthday to the BEST PRESIDENT WE HAVE EVER HAD! LIBERATING IRAQ WAS THE BEST THING WE EVER DID. ROCK ON, PRESIDENT BUSH! DON'T LET THE DUMBOCRATS GET YA DOWN! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!

MCCAIN '08

July 7, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  18. Bruce

Sorry Will, but it wasn't Bush's fault for the Social Security system not b eing overhauled. Put the blame directily where it should, on the Senate and Congress.

July 7, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. Raymond Cocteau

Gas was $1.46 when he took office and there were tens of thousands of people on this planet who are not alive anymore because of the decisions this man made.

'Celebrating' the birth of this man is beyond absurd.

July 7, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Ohiovoter

"Carl from MI" and "itdoesn'tmatter" – We know you're dumbocrats and just whining like the little pathetic losers you are. Keep whining – you're going to whining come November '08 when you see how much pull McCain has!

NOBAMA '08

July 7, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  21. Frank

We have been lied to and are now suffering from years of big government, runaway inflation, endless war, loss of civil liberty, and the consequences of these failed policies which are reflected in our depressed economy. Happy Birthday indeed.

July 7, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. RJ, CA

Bush failed because he didn't have enough government experience and because he is arrogant and elitist. He ran on "change" both times, primarily with the support of the ultra conservative religious right. Obama is cut from the same cloth, just different party, also arrogant and elitist, also running on "change," this time with the support of the race-baiting ultra liberal left. Neither Bush nor Obama knew/know how Washington works. Only Hillary and McCain are centrists without a wacky "ultra" label. Both know how Washington works - and whether you like it or not, that's what counts from day one.

July 7, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  23. Bruce

Joe said: "We are in the war, gas goes up $4.00… We have to work till 70s to get our retirement?. All because of Bush. I do not think he knows people do not like him as our president."

I find it amazing how small minded people blame Bush for $4 gas. They have absolutely no concept of what is really going on. They just believe all the sound bites from the media. I can't wait to see what Obama does (or doesn't do) if he gets in. Not a thing, I can tell you that right now. You all remember that when it goes up to 5 – 6 dollars a gallon if he gets in. and again, it's bush's fault you have to work til you are 70? Not hardly. YOU my friend, just didn't prepare good enoguh for your retirement. I'll be retiring at 62 because I did my homework and knew what to do in order to retire faily young AND have enough money to live off of comfortably.

July 7, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  24. DMAC in ID

Doesn't seem like he has mellowed with age. Still the bull headed do it my way and to H- with you, Pres. So sad that at his age he still can't see the forest for the trees.
    Hope he had his kind of day to celebrate.

July 7, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  25. DJ

"It was not known whether he made a birthday wish." That's funny. If I were him, I'd be wishing for January to come just as soon as possible.

July 7, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |