July 8th, 2008

New Obama ad attacks McCain on energy policy

New Obama ad hits McCain on energy.
New Obama ad hits McCain on energy.

(CNN) – Less than a week after the Republican National Committee rolled out its first contrast ad of the cycle – a $3 million swing state buy that hit Democrat Barack Obama on energy policy – the Obama campaign released a new ad Tuesday set to air in the same campaign battlegrounds.

“McCain and Bush support a drilling plan that won’t produce a drop of oil for seven years. McCain will give more tax breaks to big oil,” says the announcer in ‘New Energy,’ which will hit the airwaves in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. “He’s voted with Bush 95 percent of the time. Barack Obama will make energy independence an urgent priority.”

The Obama campaign says the 30-second spot is a direct response to the RNC’s ad, which painted McCain as an independent who had pressured his party on energy policy.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ben (Eugene, OR)

Wow! This ad is terrible. It provides no substance for Obama's plan whatsoever.

Really, does Obama believe a $1000 tax cut reduce our dependence on foreign oil?? I think not. That is a worse political gimmick than the gas tax holiday!!! At least the truck carrier industry can squeeze by with the help of a gas tax holiday. What does the $1000 cut do? NOTHING!!!

This is just more evidence that Obama has NO understanding of energy policy whatsoever!! At least McCain has a plan that at least makes some sense...

July 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. I have McCain's missing Military Records in a Shoebox outside of Toledo

I'm all for nuclear, except where are the plants going to be built? In poorer neighborhoods? In which, poor people will end up living directly in the path of air born Toxins that have been said to cause cancer.

Google Cadiz, Kentucky Cancer. It's a small town that lies directly in the path of the wind blowing from the Nuclear power plant in Paducah, KY.

For it's size, it's one of the highest pct of Cancer residents in the nation.

If the US goes Nuclear, that's fine, but put the plants in the rich areas of the towns.

July 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. gerry

McCain is going to learn the hard way. when you take a swing at Obama, he punches back hard and runs the ad 3 times as many times as McCain will.

I'm glad he's showing the McBush energy policy for what it is-more pandering to the oil companies.

July 8, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Jason

Tedious 898 if he knows sooo much about the economy why is he planning on taxing the hell out of the businesses we need to get out of the whole. Tax wealthy individuals fine but if you tax the small business owner to death there is no incentive in the investment!

July 8, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. Racist Fools for Obama

Contrary to Obama spin- big oil is in his pocket.

Don't expect any solutions from the tell everyone what they want to hear puppet nominee.

Propaganda is swell, but JUST being half Black is NOT a qualification for the office of the presidency.

I voted for the BEST- Hillary Clinton- and I am proud of that and I can feel good about my own judgement, objectivity and convictions no matter what happens now to the Country.

July 8, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Susan

Where is the Love for this Country. In the beginning Obama stood stern in NOT putting his hand over his heart for the National Anthym, and no matter what he says, he went to a church for 20 years that was hateful and out to cause real dividing. In the other countries where there is so much hate for America, it is taught to their young, this hate and Obama let his children sit in a church that DID show hate, real hate. He continues to flip flop, tell the SHEEP what they want to hear, tell them how bad Bush is and all what he has done. PEOPLE, the democrates have had control of the House for the last two years, what have they done? The President has minimal power, it is the House, the Senate and YOUR Congressman that make things happen. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE GOOD in the last two years. It is very dangerous to have a man with little experience to be Commander-in-Chief of the greatest country in the world. Why are our ENEMIES wanting Obama to win? McCain may not be perfect, BUT he LOVES this country, he fought for this country and his sons are fighting for this country. Who in Obama's family is fighting for this country. WAKE UP AMERICA!!

July 8, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. David Goldman

BUSH & CHANEY ENERGY PLAN, ==MCBUSH ENERGY PLAN.

July 8, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Peter in PA

Ah, the logical fallacy that Obama is Jim Carter and Carter's policies are Obama's again. The McCain campaign will never tire of feeding this nonsense to the American people.

Does McCain really think that Americans are so gullible?

Well, attacking his opponent by saying half-truths and untruths over and over again did work for him during the contest for the Republican Party's nomination, more or less.

Maybe he's on to something…

July 8, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. God is watching you

God knows that I voted for the very BEST candidate out there.

No race games, no gender bias, no hate, no filthy insults, no denigration of fellow democrats.

Whatever happens NOW- I can proudly say I had the courage of my convictions and I voted against popular opinion and propaganda and I cast my vote for HILLARY.

Any consequences now are on the heads of the hateful, forceful Obama supporters that used hateful, vile divisive tactics to gut HRC. You may succeed in getting your nominee installed... but GOD knows what you did to achieve your end.

July 8, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. judy, Wisconsin

It's funny how being pictured with GBush is an "attack ad". Tells you something right there about the quality of Republicans.

July 8, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. SDunn

miyaki yet again you listen to the lies of McCain! Look on factcheck.org that explains that the bill actually increased taxes for the oil companies and increased research for alternative energy resources!

July 8, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  12. Rick FL

More accurately, Obama counters the RNC attacks. Many Americans agree with Obama's intuitive position on energy, and we will not allow the Republican smears to go unchecked any longer. It will not work this time.

McCain's plan seems to follow the Bush doctrine of rewarding oil compaines with more breaks when they have failed to use the allotted resources provided to them already (68 million acres of land available to drill but left untouched). Also, many economists have already said McCain's gas tax holiday will not lower prices much at all, if any.

Obama is the candidate offering long term solutions, and that deserves our vote & support in this election IMHO.

July 8, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. I loved the dirty primary

I feel good.... when I had a chance to do so, I voted in the best interest of the World, my country, my party and true to my conscience.

I stuck with the issues and I had the courage to uphold my democratic ideals and my values of freedom, equality, justice and fair campaigns.

I did not fall prey to the slick internet marketed package called Obama.

I voted for the VERY real, VERY true, Very qualified proven leader- HILLARY CLINTON.

My part is done.

July 8, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. aware

Give it up Obama!

You are getting closer to the McCain positions every day! You are a follower not a leader who will say or do anything to win! And, then what? :(

July 8, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. David Goldman

QUESTION TIME !!!

WHO IS DUMBER, THE MORON OR THE MORON HE FOOLED ?

WE GOT BUSHWHACKED BY BUSH SR., BUSH JR., AND NOW

BCBUSH IS WORKING AT IT.

IT SAY'S A LOT FOR US & NONE OF IT IS GOOD.

July 8, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. Nick

Dear god!
    Its time to be real.

America I know Obama is not gods gift to Presidents, but you know what? When it comes to Obama's policies or McCains policies that have ALREADY took Americans off to war and took Americans money, jobs and homes. I HOPE TO GOD you can see McCain for what he is. You really want 16 years of the SAME? 16 years of war, poverty, lost homes, declining dollar CEO's running congress instead of TRUE American politicians.

My word people. Is America really this lost that someone like McCain is even on the ballot? Please tell me we are not that lost as a people.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. America dont let McCain fool you. Not unless you liked the last 8 years.. you felt safe right? How much have you lost by the hand of bad Bush/McCain/CEO policies? Sure looks like more then any terrorist has taken form America. You sure you want 16 years of the SAME?

July 8, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse NY

And wonderboy's plan is......? If we had been drilling 10 years ago, we'd have the oil now. McCain has a plan that addresses both short and long term. Obama's plan is to diss McCain's.

July 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. Jason

Marcus B makes total sense to borrow more money from china to artificially stipulate the economy and then send all the borroowed money from china to the middle east great. Drilling will in seven to ten years allow us to stop sending as much money to terrorist contries if you can't see the logic in that there is no hope for you. Nothing Obama proposes will reduce our consumption or lower prices and his proposals will take 20 years. Dig the hole deeper by sending more money and depbt overseas? Not the Democratic party I want to support anymore!

July 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Will, NJ

Maybe we wouldn't even need oil if it were not for the Republicans aggressively pushing their big oil agendas and fattening their accounts with stock options. There's only so much oil left and what happens when it's gone? Do all you drilling advocates want to wait till then to scratch your heads?

July 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Cynthia - Arkansas

I think the Repulicans just thought Obama was going to let them say anything false they wanted to. They will hit them hard for every lie. The new as run by the Democratic Party is great! When you show Bush and McBush saying the exact same thing, it can't be denied. THEY ARE THE SAME!

July 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  21. asdf

Wow, reading most of these comments has made me realize how lucky I am to not be an idiot. Half of these comments are just cheap and unfounded shots at one side or the other, and the other half, other than a select few, are stupid claims about why gas prices are so high.

The high gas prices aren't going to go away with tax breaks or increased drilling or any other oil policies these candidates come up with. The real solution can only come from alternative energy, a decrease in dependence on oil.

July 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. aware

No more arrogant, obfuscating Obama.

This guy wants Americans to feed his egomania by paying for a 75,000 person capacity stadium to supposedly accept the Democratic nomination. :(

Vote for the American hero, John McCain not the two-faced, floundering American idol, Barack Obama.

July 8, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. I loved the dirty primary

The democratic primary sure was dirty...

Just saying that Jesse Jackson won the SC primary made Bill Clinton a racist.

So tomorrow just my saying that Hillary was the first woman to run for president will make me a ....sexist? Huh? When is a true statement no longer a true statement?

Then Hillary was a racist too... and all her supporters. But now we are all one big happy democratic family.... NOT!

Hill was debased and ridiculed by Obama, his pundits and the media.

Bro before Ho?... how lovely.
    Fat Cow chewing her cud... how mature and open minded.
    Stick a fork in her she is done... how democratic
    Ignorant, uneducated, inbred, poor, redneck dirty white trailor trash... how unifying.

Yeah... all for unity?

July 8, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. BlahBlahBlahOblama

Blah, Blah, Blah.......

Quote: Barack Obama will make energy independence an urgent priority.

Question: And do what?

Maybe he'll share that with us before seven years comes and goes. Maybe not.

McCain/08

July 8, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  25. hate drove us away

You hated the Hillary supporters throughout the primary.

Now we are PUMAs