July 8th, 2008

Obama family talks campaign life

The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.
The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.

(CNN) - Whether or not their dad becomes the next president of the United States, the Obama kids are already winners - of a dog, that is.

In an interview with the entire Obama family to air later Tuesday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, told Access Hollywood their famous mom and dad promised to buy a dog after the rigorous campaign season comes to an end.

Watch: Obama family celebrates The Fourth

"Win or lose, win or lose," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said.

In the interview, Malia also said she often gives her dad campaign tips on how to reach out to young people her age.

"You really don't shake kids’ hands that much, you shake adult hands," she said. “And I say you just wave and say hi, so I do that kind of stuff."

What's it like to have parents in the spotlight? Malia said now she reads about her mom in People Magazine.

"They always have those sections with you know, how much people's dresses cost, and so I saw that magazine, and I said, 'Oh mommy you're in this!' I've never seen mommy in that. Because I usually see people like Angelina Jolie –”

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. vjh

Cute story, Obama's daughters are adorable. I just hope they rescue a dog vs. buying.

July 8, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. richard

cute kids. people need to lighten up, or smarten up.

vote obama.

July 8, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Down with Obama

LMAO....anything to keep this nut in the news!!!

July 8, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Jessica

For all the Obama haters, why are you reading this article and care so much to post an comment? This is just a piece so we can get to know the family on a personal level.
    BTW – Malia is already more articulate than Bush will ever be.

OBAMA 08

July 8, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. SGJ, Chicago, IL

A lot of people have said why should we care about this ? – I think its important since it shows how he has lead his family. His family and his children are a reflection of the sort true values he has.

July 8, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Liv Irene Myhre

I'm glad you're getting a dog at long last. I can't imagine our family life without a dog (plus a few cats).

But please, please, rather than considering what "breed" to get, I think it would be wonderful if you would get a shelter dog. How about a "Katarina dog" desperately needing a home? Millions would cheer you for that decision!

Best wishes,

Liv Myhre

July 8, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Christine

For those of you who are more concerned with the "buying a dog vs. adopting a dog" issue, welcome to the big picture. Stop fishing for another reason to slam Obama for something. Nowhere in this article do they mention Obama buying a dog from some fancy breeder somewhere. Did he specifically say that he would avoid adopting a dog from a shelter? No, I don't believe he did. In many, many cases, adopting an animal still requires a fee. I adopted a cat from a shelter and paid $100 for her.

July 8, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |