July 8th, 2008

Obama family talks campaign life

The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.
The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.

(CNN) - Whether or not their dad becomes the next president of the United States, the Obama kids are already winners - of a dog, that is.

In an interview with the entire Obama family to air later Tuesday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, told Access Hollywood their famous mom and dad promised to buy a dog after the rigorous campaign season comes to an end.

Watch: Obama family celebrates The Fourth

"Win or lose, win or lose," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said.

In the interview, Malia also said she often gives her dad campaign tips on how to reach out to young people her age.

"You really don't shake kids’ hands that much, you shake adult hands," she said. “And I say you just wave and say hi, so I do that kind of stuff."

What's it like to have parents in the spotlight? Malia said now she reads about her mom in People Magazine.

"They always have those sections with you know, how much people's dresses cost, and so I saw that magazine, and I said, 'Oh mommy you're in this!' I've never seen mommy in that. Because I usually see people like Angelina Jolie –”

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jacob

I agree with "Matt-NE". I don't understand why the media keeps reporting "crap" like this. Are we not in a very important election year?! I hope this country can pull together and unite as "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" (and I don't mean Obama).

Jacob

July 8, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. tedious898

Thank You CNN...funny though
    People (mostly haters) complain incessently about how "little we know about Barack". Of course the Obama's have been in magazines and 100's of articles per day.

Oh yeah ...that's right ....most of the people that dislike this man, his wife and kids aren't interested in reading. They only complain about how wrong for America he is. There's no pleasing these rather dumb Americans. Makes me wonder how America became the greatest country on earth with such a large population of mentally challenged They would rather have "another 4 years" of the wonderful leadership we have right now. Pulleeeeaaaase!

Listen America...do the right thing...Hire the Smart guy!

July 8, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Marge Hibbing Mn

Yep, Yep, Yep ...if he runs true to form he'll "change" that promise tomorrow and promise them something else. He can't hold on to a decision for more than a week.

July 8, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Bill in Virginia

To: Eric-PA

Yawn....

July 8, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. maksim tsionskiy

I am Obama supporter, but this is not headling news. its shouldn't be in news

July 8, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. zwormo

Yeah! Buying a dog will help boost our economy, great decision.

July 8, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. Lynnette

Barack and Michelle have created a beautiful family. May God continue to bless and keep them throughout this election process.

July 8, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. Sue/PA

These two girls are adorable and brutely honest as children sometimes are.

I just want people to keep in mind....Sen Obama will never do anything to this country that would endanger his girls lives. He will do his best to repair what Bush has distroyed.

Believe in Change

Obama 08/12........The Peoples President

July 8, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. Robin

BUY a dog??? BUY??? Why can't they go to a shelter and RESCUE a dog?

July 8, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  10. Suz Michigan

Let's see, if he wins that will be 2 "dogs" in the White House,

McCain '08

July 8, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. Glen

CNN, as always you go to great lengths to ensure Obama is alkways in the news. I guess you read a recent poll that more pet owners prefer McCain over Obama (He does not own a pet). So what is CNN to do? Write an article and show a picture of Obama and his promise to by a dog. You are a pathetic! Why don't you write about real news that matters to all of America?

July 8, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. Mickie in PA

In response to Blayze, yeah I hear McCain desserted his wheel-chair bound wife after she crippled for Cindy who he was running with while married. But he's a moral, right-wing, conservative (LOL)!

July 8, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. CD

Now you all know why you losers won't be invited for the nomination speech. Yes, we the people own this movement and this government will answer directly to us the American people who sponsored and voted our choice into power.

July 8, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. Peg, Findlay, Ohio

Enough of the Obamas. Do we have to follow every move.

July 8, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. Paula

PLEASE Adopt a Dog (or 2).

July 8, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  16. Charlotte

A: You people REALLY don't get the purpose of a blog, do you?

B: "Buying" a dog is often synonymous with "adopting" a dog - which you still have to pay for. When I'm ready to go and buy a dog, I'll do it from a shelter. Sheesh.

July 8, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  17. for Obama and real news

Nice article but why the posted comments (like mine) when Iraq has just said they want a withdrawal timeline in line with what Obama has presented – real news CNN.

July 8, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  18. David in Chicago

Eric PA. If this memoir you are referring to is "Dreams of My Father" than you are grossly over exaggerated. I have indeed read the book and he openly discusses his life-long battle with a lack of a father, his difficulty dealing with society as a half black and half white man.

Also, his drug use was minor.. not heavy. He smoked pot and did coke a few times. That is in absolutely NO way HEAVY. Heavy is needing rehab. Bush himself has said he had "serious" drinking and cocaine problems. He said he drank everyday at Yale and Philips Academy where you can be expelled for having alcohol on campus.

Bending the truth to fit your own agenda is sad and pathetic and is worse than lying. At least when you lie you lie, this is misconstruing and slandering a good man's real words. Also, this book was paid for by Harvard under the condition that the book's main topic was about his racial experiences.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  19. Stephen

Let's hope they adopt and not BUY as stated. Set a good example for America and help end the deaths of 5 million dogs put down each year in the United States.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  20. proud army and navy mom

to Wondering:
    how cute are the lost lives of our US Troops and the innocent lives caught in the crossfire. Does life only count as precious when you are in the womb?

Isn't life just as important when those babies turn in to young vibrant adults? You pro-life repugs are such hypocrites: Memo to yourselves : AT EVERY STAGE, LIFE IS PRECIOUS, not just babies.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  21. tedious898

Geez life must be miserable for people like ear ache (sorry) eric and "typical white person". All they do is say something negative about Barack.

Listen here you two....say something positive about John McCain. You can't spend everyday spewing hate and speaking negative about someone who has never done anything to you. Honestly, that's a bit psychotic.

Therefore, grow up...get over being angry.....its really too bad Jesse Helms died. I wish he could have stayed around to see Barack elected to CIC.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  22. gary

Big deal. Thats the kind of news that will really help our countrie's problems. This is a big joke like Obama.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. Adopt a Satos

Adopt a doge, don't buy one.

Hmmmm... When I adopted my island dog I had to pay $150 for him to cover the cost of his shots and neutering. So, I guess in a way, I paid for him.

Whatever they decide to do, it is their choice though I would rather see a president adopt a "mutt."

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. not an obamabot, thank GOD

way to go barrack cant wait to barrack the vote, 143 days in the senate, but because you want to buy a dog you should be POTUS. It is nice to see a family TOGETHER these days.

July 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Judy in PA - Won't need to be bitter much longer

To Robin, their daughter suffers from allergies like I do. The only dogs that we can have are hypo-allergenic. They are near impossible to find in shelters.
    Anyway, why do they have to answer to EVERY aspect of their life. I'm still waiting for personal questions about McCain's family (super rich wife, children, pets, friends, schoolmates, taxes, etc).

Obama & Bradley 08 & 12