July 8th, 2008

Obama family talks campaign life

The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.
The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.

(CNN) - Whether or not their dad becomes the next president of the United States, the Obama kids are already winners - of a dog, that is.

In an interview with the entire Obama family to air later Tuesday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, told Access Hollywood their famous mom and dad promised to buy a dog after the rigorous campaign season comes to an end.

Watch: Obama family celebrates The Fourth

"Win or lose, win or lose," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said.

In the interview, Malia also said she often gives her dad campaign tips on how to reach out to young people her age.

"You really don't shake kids’ hands that much, you shake adult hands," she said. “And I say you just wave and say hi, so I do that kind of stuff."

What's it like to have parents in the spotlight? Malia said now she reads about her mom in People Magazine.

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Blueray98

The dog that they end up purchasing (like the mansion they live in) will no doubt be a very expensive one. I’m sure they can afford it now without having to get a discount deal on the animal. They seem like nice kids. I just hope all of the anti-America and hatred against the white man didn’t rub off on them from all of those years in that sick church. Hopefully they will have better skills at choosing their friends and acquaintances, too.

July 8, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. Josh

Oh come on CNN... This is not news! Just like the fist bump crap. This is absolute BS. This is the most skewed left news outlet and unfortunately it reaches worldwide providing liberal biased news to billions brainwashing everyone it can. I thought news outlets were SUPPOSED to be neutral not PR outlets for presidential campaigns.

Has anyone noticed that Obama belongs to a Democratic controlled Senate that has even lower approval ratings than Bush??? Notice how the economy didn't take its turn for the worst and the housing market didn't crash until after the Dems took over???? Get real people!

Your kidding right???

Vote Independent '08 you zombies!

July 8, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. Mccain

They could of rescue a dog that need more help than a new one but Obama might come out and flip flop his decision in geting a new dog he might just trade in the new one for the old one...

July 8, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. katiec

Hey, the media can report forever on something negative, which
    they do, so it is good to see something refreshing.
    The fact that they are a loving, well adjusted family says
    alot about Michelle and Barack as parents. How can this
    not flow over to his integrity, quality as a man and as
    a president.
    Cannot wait for this wonderful family to be our first family.

July 8, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. DemocracyNow2008

Its good to see the Human side of Politics and the Obama's are regular people just like me .

Yes he has more money then I do but his kids like my kid are just smart regular kids that want the sam thing all Children want .

The few that attack CNN for running this story need to get over your anger issues with Senator Obama and his family.

This says alot about the people that we are about to elect into the Whitehouse.

I am proud to support senator Obama and no matter what some people say about Obama lack of experience or keep getting struck on his Pastor,or will not vote for him because Hillary did not get the nomination get over it.

My question to the negative anti Obama people are what will you do to make this World a better place for the Children that will eventually have to deal with what you have left them?

I will not vote for anyone but Obama I will not vote for Senator McCain just because some are angry its not Hillary .

I will vote for Obama because not only will he bring Change and Hope to the World in which we live but also needed Progressive leadership to America that I can believe in.

I will vote for Change because its the right thing to do for my kid and all the kids in America and around the World.

July 8, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Bob

Obama shouldn't buy a dog. Plenty of find dogs at Dumb Friends.

July 8, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. Pandora

OBAMA 08"....I can't wait to see them in the White House! If you want the same – vote McCain-...It's time for a change...OBAMA 08'!

July 8, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. John W., Milwaukee, WI

Senator Obama hasn't kept any promise he's made so far, so why do we expect him to keep this one?

And this is news – WHY?

I promise NOT to vote for this buffoon and NOT to ACCEPT the VP position he is going to offer me; please make sure this appears on your "Ticker."

I'm just SURE all of America wants to know about my promise!

July 8, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Howard, Westport CT

this is news because it show something about the man himself. He has obviously spent quality time with his children and given them attention. A person that takes care of his children will take care of the country as well. I judge parents by their children "because the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree." Poorly behaved kid don't just happen, they are raised!!!!
    Look at Bush's kids. Caught outside some liquor store trying to by liquor. His brother Jeb Bush had a kid that had to go to jail and rehab for a drug problem. I will bet you this won't happen to Obama's kids.
    Get a clue America!!!. A President that was raised like a jerk, surrounds himself with jerks,s and put the country in peril because of his poor decision making and conceit. Sound familiar.

July 8, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. Carl from MI

Yo... Typical White Person! You obviously don't remember how Dubya used to fill his events... with hand-selected card-carrying Republicans and charged 10 times that much to get in. I just LOVE Republicans that have selective memory yet are the first to criticize Democrats for something no where as radical as what their party has done. Why, oh why, is your party such a group of hypocrites??? Grow up already.

July 8, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. Mignon Hussain/NJ

What a touching picture. You can't fake the love between a father and daughter. I can't wait to see them in the White House. I wish I could go to the convention in Denver – Help!!!!

Love you Obama's!!!!!

July 8, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. Susan

Good parents & cute kids!

Obama/Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  13. TM

To be fair, perhaps CNN should feature a family story on John McCain's seven children, including the three he left behind in 1980 to marry his 25 yr. old bride, Cindy. Those children were approximately 14, 18 and 21 yrs. old at the time.

Since we don't see much of the McCain children, a story on them would be interesting and provide a balance to the Obama coverage.

July 8, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. LA2NC

Typical White Person- This is absolutely disgusting…turning the process for electing the leader of the free world into a raffle…
    -----------------------------

Apparently you missed news of the raffle prize of a ride on the Double Talk Express for a contribution.

July 8, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. NotFallingInLine.org

Is this really a story? What is happening to our media? First, they belittle a national leader. Now they report on puppy dogs.

NFIL!

July 8, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Mike in Newport, Kentucky

To Nicole,

You need to read what both President Bush and John McCain have said regarding a timeline for withdrawwal. If I am not mistaken what they have stated is that the US should not set a timeline for withdrawal, that the key is that the Iraqi's will need to be the ones to let us know when they are positioned to take full responsibility. If we were to set a timeline, that would embolden our enemies.

By the way, you are aware that we still have troops in South Korea and Germany, right?

Get educated America, we make too many decisions based on 30 second sound bites.....

July 8, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Ken

OH WHAT A CUTE STORY!

Let us get real, there are way more important topics that CNN can write about.

This coverage of Barack Hussein Obama is truly getting out of hand. If you want to write something about Obama, then do some investigative reporting on him so that the American people will see how he has FLIP-FLOP on the issues!

July 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  18. andrea

Is buying a dog going to make him look presidential?

July 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Undecided in TN

OKA-A-A-A-Y! "They always have those sections with you know, how much people's dresses cost, and so I saw that magazine, and I said, 'Oh mommy you're in this!' I've never seen mommy in that. Because I usually see people like Angelina Jolie –”

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

What a wonderful value the Obamas have taught their children: how much people's dresses cost (those dresses of REAL IMPORTANT PEOPLE like Angelina Jolie! Great job! Can I throw up now?

July 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. Texas Trail Dog

SEE I KNEW OBAMA HAD TO BE GETTING HIS ADVICE FROM SOMEONE. HE AND MICHELLE DON'T HAVE A CLUE. BUT AT LEAST MAYBE ONE OF HIS CHILDREN DOES. BUT I DON'T WANT TO STAKE THE ECONOMY, SECURITY, MEDICAL AND ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS THIS NATION HAS TO FACE ON A CHILD. YOU MUST VOTE FOR THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE LEFT NOW AND THAT IS, JOHN McCAIN.

July 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  21. Julie Moore

If he really wanted to do some good, he would adopt a pet from the local shelter. The chosen pet would be forever loyal and Obama would win the respect of the people who support animal shelters.

July 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  22. Peg Robson

Who Cares...Obama does not have the qualifications to run our country regardless of what color he is...that isn't my problem and this is what we hear about when I'm paying $4.27 a gallon for gas and get one bag of groceries for $75.00. Where are people's minds, in some fairyland tale...c'mon people lets get with it...and he's promised his kids a dog. Good for them.

July 8, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. Cheryl

When you adopt a dog, you buy a dog, because it's not free. When you RESCUE a dog from a Shelter, they do make you pay $$. Isn't that buying?

Check the want ads of the paper any day and there are tons of purebred dogs for sale. Is it wrong or illegal if they go that route? It would be great if they adopt, though. However, I hope people don't make a huge issue out of a simple family decision. I'm glad they are waiting until a time when they'll be more settled to add another member to their family.

If they buy a cheeseburger they'll upset the vegans, if they adopt from a shelter, they'll upset the dog breeders...good grief!

It's a cute story and I can't wait to see this family, even with any human imperfections, in the White House.

July 8, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  24. Ralph

You know, Ted Bundy was considered cute.. so was Dan Quayle.. If that's what it takes to get someone into the white house, then folks, we've just proved to the rest of the world that we are superficious botox injecting vain nation.. Obama has no substance/experience... something we desperately need from in a leader as we enter what some are calling a "Depression".. The world needs a strong America.. now more than ever.. and my vote goes for someone tough, experienced, who can show the way. No family means that much less distraction away from the job.. No Daddy's got to go take care of his daughters problems before the country.

July 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. W.

These days, I click on the CNN comments sections of soft Obama news features just to read the ridiculous, against-all-odds vitriol from those who don't deign to support him. Adopt instead? Breaking promises? The mention of over-analyzed books published almost 15 years ago? Sheesh. Are you folks human? If Obama, McCain, Nader, or Barr want to get their kids a dog, who cares? If Obama buys his daughter cotton candy at the Illinois State Fair this summer, will there be widespread complaints about cavities? What if it's a (gasp) funnel cake instead? This garbage would be comedy, if it retained either tragedy or timing.

July 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |