July 8th, 2008

Obama family talks campaign life

The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.
The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.

(CNN) - Whether or not their dad becomes the next president of the United States, the Obama kids are already winners - of a dog, that is.

In an interview with the entire Obama family to air later Tuesday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, told Access Hollywood their famous mom and dad promised to buy a dog after the rigorous campaign season comes to an end.

Watch: Obama family celebrates The Fourth

"Win or lose, win or lose," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said.

In the interview, Malia also said she often gives her dad campaign tips on how to reach out to young people her age.

"You really don't shake kids’ hands that much, you shake adult hands," she said. “And I say you just wave and say hi, so I do that kind of stuff."

What's it like to have parents in the spotlight? Malia said now she reads about her mom in People Magazine.

"They always have those sections with you know, how much people's dresses cost, and so I saw that magazine, and I said, 'Oh mommy you're in this!' I've never seen mommy in that. Because I usually see people like Angelina Jolie –”

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ms. D

Eric from PA needs to stop being so negative. Because at least Barack was honest enough to tell us about his past drug use. There is no perfect person on this earth. People can say the same about Bush, he is a alcholic but claimed to be rehabed and he has done cocaine. I am sure Mccain have done somethings as well. Obama daughter brings something to the campaign and she is helping her father deal with children her age!! I am not voiting for Mccain but I will never personally attack him or his family and I think the Obama's have been getting the short end of the stick!!

July 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. Bud

I love this family and they'll be great first-kids.

But this is among the least interesting/informative things I can remember reading on this site.

I know it's a little slow, but seriously.....

July 8, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  3. Janet

Why don't they rescue a PUPPY MILL dog? These puppy mills should be shut down. By the Obama's rescuing one of these poor animals, it may bring the story of the suffering and abuse these animals live with brought out in the open. Why don't more high profile people do the same thing???? I hope he does the right thing and adopts or resues, not buy a dog. The only reason I consider this news, is because there is a chance to save an animals life.

July 8, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. Ann

Too cute.

Love the Obamas.

Obama 08

July 8, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Thomas

zwormo : Yeah! Buying a dog will help boost our economy, great decision

Uh zwormo, this is not about the economy. It is about his family. Senator Obama probably makes many decisions about his family that do not equate to boosting the economy.

Was this truly not clear to you or are you just Obama-sniping?

July 8, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Republican for Obama

Andy J,

What's worse a tax and spender, or the current administration who borrows from China and spends?

The old "tax and spend liberal" tag doesn't carry much weight when the supposedly fiscally responsible Republican administration has buried our future in Chinese debt. You'll have to come up with something new guy.

July 8, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Bibek

Now is that adorable or what?

OBAMA all the way.

July 8, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. Thomas

By the way, even adopting a dog from a rescue organization (which I highly support) involves "buying" the dog.

I would cut Senator Obama some slack until he actually gets the dog.

We don't know what his intentions are concerning whether to get a dog from a rescue organization or not.

July 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. Betty

There is nothing like NORMAL family life.....

Back to basics....home life.....

Now, go get that DOG !!!!

OBAMA 08'

July 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  10. carolflowery

finally , a promise he can actually keep

July 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. Donna

Hmm...I see all types of stories on CNN..it's not all about Obama...get over it...are you just mad that McCain doesn't have any family stories? or rather ones that he wants made public? too bad....

So much ignorance on here..so little time!!!! LOL

July 8, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Cathy in MD

I really like this First Family to be! The old White House walls will breathe a sigh of relief.

July 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. Denice

I'm excited about having a young family in the White House. The girls will be able to host the Easter Egg Hunt.

Any suggestions for what kind of dog they can get for the White House, because Barack will win in November.

I think they should get a golden retriever, or a beagle.

July 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. Michael J

How is this news? Really? How does this affect my vote? Politician family members should be seen and not heard. It's admirable that John McCain will not talk about his kids, even though they are not kids. He is going to win or lose this election on his own merits, not stagecraft like the Obamas.

July 8, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  15. Belle2

I suppose this is news because this is one promise he can/will keep. Or maybe, this is news because Obama didn't interview a crying coed, shovel sand, ride a bicycle, or blow his nose today. Did he not talk about any of the issues either. Oh, but I forget, Obama doesn't need to talk about the issues; he is the messiah.

July 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  16. Cheryl

to: Typical White Person

Don't hate on the Obama campaign for their shrewd marketing and fund raising. I don't think offering 10-20 spots backstage is a great plan for "filling the stadium" as you claim. Asking for $5 donations and appreciating them is wonderful – most people can afford to do that if they are inclined.

You don't think that most policitians are for sale? Haven't our politics turned into a huge raffle? At least now the little guy can participate. I can't buy influence in Washington, but I CAN support my candidate who will greatfully acknowledge my donation of any amount. If I "win" a great trip out of it – all the better.

July 8, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. T GUY

THE NEXT FIRST FAMILY THIS IS GREAT.......

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Brian

I see the whole "experience" issue coming up from anti-Obama posts so often.

You ask why the dems nominated a Freshman senator, with not a great deal of Washington experience.

You are too jaded from the norm of Washington Politics that already has an overabundance of politicians who have been there for many years and know how to "play the game", and only function to get re-elected.

The dems (you say dems and pretend its only a small number of people, where in reality its near half the country) chose Obama because clearly a good portion of the country is sick of people who simply play the Washington game to get elected again, and do not take care of those they are elected to protect.

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  19. crooksandliars

Boy, these haters are PATHETIC! The story is about a candidate and his children and you can't let go your hate for a few light lines about a potential First Family. You must be so scared. You really need to get over the hate and look for something positive in your candidate ...whom ever they be. If you don't have a candidate...please go back under your rock. We like our candidate and we want to know more about his family. It's beyond politics now ...it's just spew from digusting low-lifes.

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  20. NotFallingInLine.org

This story is sooo much nicer than what would have to be reported if the media actually vetted this unqualified and sleazy pseudo-politician.

Thanks CNN for putting smiles on our faces.

Remember: We'll all have to tell our grandchildren and their children what we were doing while our democracy was burning....

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. Buddy

FLIP FLOP IT"S A CAT> THE CHANGE!

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  22. mk

Really cute kids! The Obamas will make a dog in need of a loving family a great home!

July 8, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. mike, tampa

I agree with everyone, they should adopt a dog BUT, you buy them at the shelters too, its just called a donation.

Why not go to his website and suggest they adopt, I am.

July 8, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  24. Stephanie

Wow, this is a lot of comments for a guy from IL who promised his kids a dog. The absolute funniest thing about this is when there is a story about Cindy McCain doing humanitarian work, the Obama supporters label it riddiculous suck up not going to ever change their vote bad journalism, but if it's the Obama's buying a dog "Oh this is so sweet, what a great person he is, what a cute family". The Same People who called one candidates wife a troll, a bat, a fake, a thief, a drug addict etc because she's trying to do something good, they do an about face and talk about how the buying of a dog makes this the perfect family to be in the white house.

Save the money you'd spend on the dog and help one person. Or donate more than 1% of your income to charity.

July 8, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  25. Robert P. in Indianapolis

Too cute! I'm sure they will be with him onstage at his nomination acceptance speech in Denver. Made my reservation weeks ago, before they decided to open it up to the general public. It's great that the DNC and the Obama campaign understands how important it is to average Americans to have personal access to this historic moment. I sent another $100 to the DNC to help fund it. Won't be an empty seat or a dry eye in the house!

Obama '08