July 8th, 2008

Obama family talks campaign life

The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.
The Obama family spent The Fourth of July in Montana.

(CNN) - Whether or not their dad becomes the next president of the United States, the Obama kids are already winners - of a dog, that is.

In an interview with the entire Obama family to air later Tuesday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, told Access Hollywood their famous mom and dad promised to buy a dog after the rigorous campaign season comes to an end.

Watch: Obama family celebrates The Fourth

"Win or lose, win or lose," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said.

In the interview, Malia also said she often gives her dad campaign tips on how to reach out to young people her age.

"You really don't shake kids’ hands that much, you shake adult hands," she said. “And I say you just wave and say hi, so I do that kind of stuff."

What's it like to have parents in the spotlight? Malia said now she reads about her mom in People Magazine.

"They always have those sections with you know, how much people's dresses cost, and so I saw that magazine, and I said, 'Oh mommy you're in this!' I've never seen mommy in that. Because I usually see people like Angelina Jolie –”

"You know, important people," mom Michelle quipped.

"Yes, real important people, no offense," Malia said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Josh

mitchell "hussein" martin-

"nice news is news ,too.you people want doom and gloom in every article.cnn is trying to show people the family behind the movement.why cant you complainers just go to the next article ,if you are not interested in this one?instead you complain and bash cnn for reporting 'non-news'.get a life!"

------------------------------
    Why not go to the next news story??? Because media such as CNN has a responsibility to report NEWS!! We need to keep the media honest. If I wanted to hear this fluff, I would turn on TMZ or Access Hollywood or pick up the National Enquirer at the supermarket. "Nice news is news" when it pertains to the important issues at hand. Get Real!

Vote Independent '08 you zombies!

July 8, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. NO OBAMBI, Ohio

RIDICULOUS, IF YOU HAD AN EDUCATION YOU WOULDNT SUPPORT OBAMA. GET OFF THE KOOL-AID TRAIN DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

July 8, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. Go McCain

So, generation X thinks conservatives are old while bho supporters are smart. Yeah right!!! Why is it then that BHO supports the lower, average worker who probably only has a high school diploma (if he is lucky). I'm a conservative with a postgraduate degree and don't view myself as "old" and not smart. At least I am smart enough to realize you can't get everything free (healthcare, college,etc) without somehow paying for it. Problem is , BHO seems to think hard working people like me should be the ones paying for the lazy rest of society. Sorry, I don't think so.

July 8, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. Oh! The Irony

Eric-PA July 8th, 2008 10:03 am ET

How is this story useful to Americans in determining if he's prepared to be commander in chief? What we should be evaluating is some of the racially sensitive material he mentions in his memoir including the use of the phrase 'white greed.' Additionally, his memoir talks about his days of heavy drug use and reveals that he was in fact aware of Wright's sermons. This information is very troubling and it should be revealed to the American people. Our lives do not depend on whether or not the Obama family buys a dog for their children.
    -------------------------------

There is no such thing as "white greed"

Signed,

The American Indian who saw his family and lifestyle taken from him

July 8, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. karen-phoenix

My neighborhood–all dog owners 100% for Obama and most are "recovering republicans" like myself!!

July 8, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Tristan

To people complaining about whether or not stories like these are new worthy, stop you nonsense. This is "politicalticker," not coverpage. And since we want to get to know the candidates who will become the next leader of the country, it is only obvious that you want to get to know everything you can about them... duh!

Good grief, WISE UP!

July 8, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Generation X

Ralph, the Conservative Republican, McCain is weak and frail old man. Has he been in any other scandals like the Keating 5....I don't know? Can he make it through the first term at his age...I don't know?

1-Of the ouster of Saddam and the Baathists: "There’s no doubt in my mind that once these people are gone, that we will be welcomed as liberators – " John McCain, March 24, 2003.

2-"…I think one of our big problems has been the fact that many Iraqis resent American military presence. And I don’t pretend to know exactly Iraqi public opinion. But as soon as we can reduce our visibility as much as possible, the better I think it is going to be – " John McCain, January 31, 2005.

Ralph, this is person who you want to handle the problems in Iraq? I thought he was experienced? If he was as smart as he says he is on foreign policy how could he be so wrong about the Iraqi people? !

July 8, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. Franco

Once again another example of the "pop culture" of this candidate. Do the American people/voters need to know mundane information about
    an important office like the presidency? What comes next Obama's
    favorite breakfast food or the color of his favorite sox? This shows the
    shallowness of his popularity. Other than his ability to give speeches
    there seems to be no experience or substance to his candidency.

July 8, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. CliffordtheBigRedDog

Remembering what happened to Buddy, the last dog owned by the liberal left nominee.., I have no envy on that spot.

July 8, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. Ralph

I did a quick poll of the pet owners in my neighborhood.. McCain 100 Obama 0.. what a shocker! Obama doesn't have a pet..

July 8, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Independent Voter

NO OBAMBI, Ohio July 8th, 2008 11:29 am ET

Hey No Obambi !!!

Actually most people with an education are voting for Obama. I'm sorry your negativity just isn't enough to stop Obama.

July 8, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  12. Dawn

awe

July 8, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. Daisy B. in Dallas

How CUTE!!!...let's name the dog "DAISY"....just a thought

July 8, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Jon

I say keep your kids out of this Obama! You are like a sly fox who will use anything at his disposal to get in the chicken coop. Let's talk issues...we all have families. And my family will have to pay more under Obama and lose more freedoms under Obama. This country is ours.....do not let these Bozo Democrats ruin it!

July 8, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. Oh! The Irony

Ms. D July 8th, 2008 10:51 am ET

Eric from PA needs to stop being so negative. Because at least Barack was honest enough to tell us about his past drug use. There is no perfect person on this earth. People can say the same about Bush, he is a alcholic but claimed to be rehabed and he has done cocaine. I am sure Mccain have done somethings as well. Obama daughter brings something to the campaign and she is helping her father deal with children her age!! I am not voiting for Mccain but I will never personally attack him or his family and I think the Obama's have been getting the short end of the stick!!

----------------------–

It's also funny how Eric seems to never mention Cindy McCain's well-documented drug abuse and how she took prescription drugs from a charity program to feed her addiction. Of course that doesn't matter right? We put Michelle under a huge spotlight, but won't dare mention a word about the botox lady.

July 8, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. Donna

Keep the kids out of this campaign-please.

July 8, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. No free radicals

My polling went 57 for McCain, 0 for Obama. But then I was polling in the US.

July 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. Jim Schimmer

They are such a regular American family!!!
    Its amazing. So cool !!

July 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  19. bob in L.A.

Maybe he will follow thorugh for his kids. so far his words seemto be just that. We can only hope that a dog- one that should be rescued, not bought- will be in the girls Christmas stocking!

July 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Philly voter

@Blayze Kohime
    "Has anyone ever seen McCain do anything special with his family at all?"

Not unless you include divorcing his first wife after she was in a car accident and gained weight after being a super model. Not to mention she was loyal to him while he was a POW.

July 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Jaime

Obama please end the fiasco for telecommunications immunity. It violates first amendment rights. Protect the constitution from republiklan tampering....

July 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  22. Aaron

Obama only promised them a dog because he just saw the poll stating that dog owners favor John McCain to him. What will the man stop at to get a vote!?

July 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. Anita from Arizona

What a wonderful family!!

On the dog issue, they will buy a dog. When you adopt a dog from the Humane Society, you have to pay for the shade or neuter of the dog. Get the dog from the Humane Society, Barack and Michelle. The dog will thank you.

July 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  24. MD FOR OBAMA

CUTE.

July 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. Sheltervolunteer

Instead of buying a dog, the Obama's should teach their kids how to take care of this world the right way and adopt a pet from a shelter. So many lovable pets are waiting for homes, while people go out and buy them from pets stores (and then half of those are sent back to a shelter when the family gets tired of them.)

July 8, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |