July 8th, 2008

Webb says no to being VP

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.
Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

(CNN) - You can officially scratch off Sen. Jim Webb's name from the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

The freshmen senator from Virginia and onetime Republican said unequivocally Monday he does not want to be the Illinois senator's No. 2.

Watch: How to get on the VP shortlist

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country," Webb said in an issued statement. “Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb, a moderate Democrat and Vietnam veteran who successfully unseated former Virginia Sen. George Allen in 2006, has often been mentioned as a potential VP choice given his likely appeal in more conservative states, his early opposition to the Iraq war, and his credibility with military issues.

Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlists?

The Virginia senator also co-sponsored the Senate G.I. benefits bill passed this spring that seeks to increase tuition reimbursements for veterans. Despite an initial veto threat, President Bush signed the bill into law last week.

"I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability," Webb also said. "I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Jim Webb
  1. Not fighting over VP spot

Does not seem that anyone is fighting to be Obama's VP. What does that tell you.

I think he should pick Richardson – they are the same in many ways. Both him and Obama are frauds, liars and users.

July 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. STILL FOR HILL

Looks like Obama is running out of VP choices... No one wants to jump on a sinking ship?

This democrat would have stood in line for 24 hours to vote for a true patriot as well as a democrat.

I'm not voting for a flip-flopping, empty suit. Call me racist all you want. I'm white, but I don't see color... I've dated blacks and latinos.

I will vote for anyone but Obama. Obama=Jimmy Carter.

You thought today's economy is bad. Under Carter, there was 20% interest rates to buy a house and lines at the gas station.

I'll vote for McCain all day long over Obama. At least I know McCain is a patriot and loves this country. I'm not so sure Obama loves anything but himself.

July 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. aware

Smart move Senator Webb! Obama will lose, and you would go down with him! :)

July 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Jason, Texas

First, stop calling Obama "Hussein" you bigoted jerks.

Second, he will find someone that will be a great VP. For those of you voting for McCain, thanks for working to flush our country down the tube even more.

Obama 08

July 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Michelle

At least Webb knows he is not experienced enough.

By the way, Obama has only 143 days of experience in the US Senate–campaigning does not count!

July 7, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. Ryan - Delaware

It's simple obamabots....no Hilary – NO OBAMA!!!!

He's going down! and I can't wait to see everyone face when he does.

McCain = substance

Obama = empty suit = loser

July 7, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. interesting

he knows being with Obama is a sinking ship in waiting

July 7, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. GO AWAY!!!!!

Lisa ____ Obama is not the nominee he's only the presumptive
    Presumptive defined – likely but not certain to be or become real
    Lisa-–I will give you an A TODAY!-–ABSENT!!!!

July 7, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |