July 9th, 2008

Clinton donors hesitant to show love for Obama

Once fierce rivals, Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama stand together in June in Unity, New Hampshire.

(CNN) – Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton team up again Wednesday, but not all Clinton's supporters are jumping on the Obama bandwagon despite her calls for unity.

Two fundraisers are scheduled Wednesday in New York and a third on Thursday, making it five times the two have appeared together since Clinton ended her quest for the Democratic presidential nomination last month.

Two of the events are aimed at raising money for Obama's campaign, and one is to help Clinton retire the debt from her failed run.

The joint appearances have been choreographed carefully to produce pictures of the former rivals standing side by side in an effort to help move beyond the bitterness of the hard-fought Democratic primary.

But for some of Clinton's top supporters, it's going to take more than just encouragement from the former first lady to get them to open their wallets and hearts to Obama.

Full story

1. Keith R.

I am an Obama supporter and have been.

I welcome the Hillary supporters with open arms and I hope that after Obama is termed out of the White House, that Hillary runs. I would support that run.

Dems for the next 16 years. We can do it!

July 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Jose'

The rest of the world doesn't have a whole lotta love for him either.

I wish the media would wake up and realize that Obama is bad for America!

July 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. GOP IS A FRAUD

YEA YEA HEARD IT ALL BEFORE. THESE PEOPLE ARE THE RUSH LIMBAUGH DITTO HEADS TRUST ME THEY ARE NOT REAL HILLARY SUPPORTERS. OR THEY FROM WEST VIRGINIA

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Marc PDX

This is not surprising. Grown ups can see that the king's new clothes are just a fantasy. Only the Barakiddies are drinking the Koolaid...

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I wouldn't want some of Hillary supporters in a "fox hole" with me. At first chance they would cut and run over to the other side leaving me to defend the enemy alone and find some unexcuseable reason why.

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. july 9th

----–who cares??
    -------------cnn,
    did u knwo we are in general election now?
    -----------hillary is not important ...............

there is nothing else u can talk about

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. David Goldman

IT REALLY ISN'T A BIG DEAL.

WE CAN VOTE FOR MCBUSH & SET OUR SELVES

BACK BY 100 OR SO YEARS. $10. GAS IS NOT SO BAD.

AND MILK AT $12. NOT TOO BAD EITHER. AS FOR THE

SUPREME COURT, WELL, THAT ISN'T SO BAD EITHER.

AFTER ALL,WE DON'T NEED FOR WOMEN TO VOTE AT ALL.

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Elaine

There are hurt feelings and it will take time for Clinton supports to come around. I supported Obama from the start and will continue to, but I gotta tell you, if he were the one who loss, I would probably feel the same way the Clinton supporters do and not want to jump up and down, with arms wide open to welcome her. They will come around and if they don't, well, what can you do. But one thing that I would not do and that is to vote for McCain becuase I don't agree with his politics.

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. Anton

Good for them...why should they support a candidate they don't believe in. McCain is definately much more trust worth than Obama will ever be...look who abanded his minister and church after 20 years, all for policital expendicency.

July 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

hehehee....Save your money for the next cycle. It's too late. This election is now formality. Just keep smiling and have more family interviews and enjoy the limelight while you are at it. It is sad to thrust children in the way the Obama children experienced. Wonder what Clinton's women for Obama think of this. I think Michelle showed her gullible side.

July 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Susan

Go ahead and don't support Obama, but remember when you get MCain-McBush, don't dare open your mouths. It is time to get over it and move on to what is best for America.

July 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Sacto Joe

Get over yourselves, or go join the Republican party.

July 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Top Donor

No Way Will I EVER donate to Obama
    for the first time ever I will vote republican!
    And thats right, don't beg me, it won't change
    Hillary 08 or McCain 08

July 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Veteran For Obama

I say that if they want to vote for McCain or not vot e at all; go ahead, no begging here. Clinton lost and that's it. The rules were not made nor broken by Obama. In the end he had the number of Delegates to win the nomination; so all you sore losers can call it what you want and do what you want........It's A Free Country!!!!! But believe me; if Obama loses because of this; do not count on our (Obama Supporters) support (He Has Just As Many Supporters) when she decides to run again. And with that said, we'll never see another Democrat in office!!!

AS YOU MAY!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. michael

" if McCain wins and America suffers"

Really? Obama will pull the troops from Iraq exposing their oil fields to terrorists or Iran. He also won't step up local drilling. Do you enjoy paying $5.00 a gallon now? If so you will love $10.00 a gallon we will be paying if Obama is elected.

July 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Reggie

They lost. They should get over it. They wouldn't have given to Barack Obama to help retire his debt if he'd lost. This makes me sick.
    If they want more war, more poverty, less access to abortion, then they should vote for John McCain or stay at home. NOBODY OWES HILLARY CLINTON ANYTHING!!

She. Lost.

July 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. T GUY

EVERY WEEK I SEND A FEW DOLLARS FOR THE CAUSE......

July 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Obama Supporter from FL

The one thing I still can't get over is all the comments from PUMA or Hillary people – yet they won't help her retire her debt!!!

Think of all the time and effort these people spend being mad and whiny and posting nonstop on these blogs, and yet they refuse to even support their own chosen candidate. I have a suggestion – every time you decide to tell us all (for the thousandth time) how you are voting for McCain and won't support Obama, just donate a dollar to Hillary instead. Be constructive rather than destructive!!

July 9, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. bernadette

as a female I am appalled at these Clinton supporters who will not back Obama financially or through a vote. If they cared at all about the big picture – where this country should be heading, universal health care, the economy, women's issues, supreme court nominees, etc., it would be a no-brainer to support Obama over McCain, since Clinton and Obama are next to identical and McCain is an ocean apart from them on the important issues. The question I have is: what is it they really care about – themselves, their hurt egos, or their country? If my children (now grown) ever behaved so selfishly and childishly, I would scold them.

July 9, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Who Cares!!

Im so tired of these people crying because Hillary lost. If you dont want to vote for Obama its your god given right. If Obama dosent win against MCcain than so be it , im just tired of hearing about these ppl being upset with Obama. If Obama losses and Hillary runs in 2012 im sure the same backlash will happen to her.

July 9, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. ProundToBeDemocrat

Females are too emotional they can not think farther than their nose. Some women are okay though, but the reason some of the women who supported hillary was because she is a woman period, so to ask this women to have some commonsense is not going to be easy, but then Obama will win with or without them he has enough supporters.

July 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Joe

Good! I hope they all stay away from this arrogant, self centered moron. Obama is nothing but your typical politican who accused everyone and his grandmother of being a racist. No need for someone like that to be our President!

July 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Ken

That nit-wit [R]s will vote for McCain is just more of the same old expected lunacy from the right: good is bad, up is down, dumb is smart, pollution is clean, small government is big government, etc. They revel in their own idiocy, and they have happily celebrated the idiot-in-charge for the last 7 years.

But for [D]s who have supported Hillary to vote for McCain would be just plain moronic. These people need to change their political affiliation to the [R]s who will welcome them with open arms and the characteristic closed minds.

July 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Not being fooled

I am glad to see that Clinton's supporters are not jumping on Obama's bandwagon. I feel Clinton is being pressured by the DNC and superdelegates to support Obama. After what he and his campaign people said and did to her, I feel that she should not support him but ,she being a diehard democratic politician, feels that she should support that selected not elected person. Everytime I see his face on the TV screen I switch the channel as I know he is not worth the candicacy.

Clinton, I hope will be back in 2012 and I will definitely support her 100% and I hope all of her supporters do the same. Let's all support her by writing her name on the ballot or not vote at all.

July 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. wycliffe, NJ

My patience is running out, let them quit the democratic party, we do not need to beg. I guess we will pay back if Hillary will attempt to run next time.

obama 08