July 9th, 2008

Clinton donors hesitant to show love for Obama

Once fierce rivals, Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama stand together in June in Unity, New Hampshire.

(CNN) – Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton team up again Wednesday, but not all Clinton's supporters are jumping on the Obama bandwagon despite her calls for unity.

Two fundraisers are scheduled Wednesday in New York and a third on Thursday, making it five times the two have appeared together since Clinton ended her quest for the Democratic presidential nomination last month.

Two of the events are aimed at raising money for Obama's campaign, and one is to help Clinton retire the debt from her failed run.

The joint appearances have been choreographed carefully to produce pictures of the former rivals standing side by side in an effort to help move beyond the bitterness of the hard-fought Democratic primary.

But for some of Clinton's top supporters, it's going to take more than just encouragement from the former first lady to get them to open their wallets and hearts to Obama.

Full story

1. fairandstraight

Delegate from California,

if you are still a Hillary supporter, you should really be discouraged about the lies she was caught in on national television. Maybe you have not seen Obama's plans because you are too busy looking for faults. Actually, none of the candidates has really shown a plan. Hillary's position changed on many things she supported in the past only because she was trying to become the president.

People keep accusing Obama of being just a man of words. I wonder if anyone noticed that all the candidate's speeches are made up of words. Just like he said when he was in our time, " a candidate has to be more than ready on day one, they need to be right on day one."
    The past judgement of Hillary Clinton and Senator McCain have not always represented the best judgement for president of the USA.

July 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  2. @HusseinIsAmerican2

TAKE THIS PUMA (PEOPLE UNDER MENTAL ANGUISH) : HILLARY WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

NOT NOW, NEVER IN 2012, NEVER EVER!

HILLARY & BILL PLAYED THE RACE CARD, TWISTED OBAMA's WORDS BY CALLING HIM ELITIST AND USED KARL ROVE REPUGNANTs PLAYBOOK ON THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE....

HILLARY JUST NEED TO DISAPPEAR INTO OBLIVION WITH HER $20 MILLION MISMANAGED CAMPAIGN DEBT – OR WORST STILL, YOU SOOOOOOOOOORE HILLARY SUPPORTERS CAN WRITE OFF HER DEBT – BY DONATING SOME MORE INTO A FAILED CAMPAIGN

OR BETTER YET, FALL OF A CLIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Not Surprised at all

If Hillary supporters are not bailing her out of debt I'm not surprised some won’t contribute to Obama’s campaign.

July 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Ken

Wake up people.....

That nit-wit [R]s will vote for McCain is just more of the same old expected lunacy from the right: good is bad, up is down, dumb is smart, pollution is clean, small government is big government, etc. They revel in their own idiocy, and they have happily celebrated the idiot-in-charge for the last 7 years.

But for [D]s who have supported Hillary to vote for McCain would be just plain moronic. These people need to change their political affiliation to the [R]s who will welcome them with open arms and the characteristic closed minds.

July 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. Roger in the Virginia Valley

I gave obama a measley $250. I was set to try to send some money to Hillary by foregoing some personal things, but reading here some of the comments of the Hillary supporters, I think I will just spend it on me.

July 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. pb

Only in America could a woman like "Princess DeRothschild" could get away with saying that Obama is an elitist! what kind of blackmail is this? Hillary woke up each day to see how much smear she could beslow on Obama, and yet she expects that if Obama does not pay her debt she and her "Hillraisers" will not campaign for him or financially support him. I do believe that Hillary is supporting this blackmail. Obama will make it with or with out those lunatic Hillary supporters. The rich and powerful always think they can always call the shots, when things are not swayed in their directions. Who's the elitist?? If Hillary had bowed out when she was losing the primary, then maybe she would not have been in so much debt.

July 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. Big Deal

They didn't raise much money for Hillary in the first place. She is $22 million in debt! How can they be expected to raise money for Obama. I guess the Hillraisers are not really Democrats. What are they going to do – give money to McCain out of spite!?! If they don't want on the unity bus, then they won't be invited to many state dinners come 2009!

July 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Manuel TX

I gave the maximum allowed to the HRC campaign.

I've been approached by the Obama campaign to provide monetary support, and I responded that I was not interested in donating to his campaign.

Severe lack of experience, gaming the caucus system, using a canned "Change" campaign developed by Axelrod, using the race card via surrogates, the hateful Obama supporters, interference by the DNC, and now continually shifting policy positions are the reasons why I do not want to extend money to the Obama campaign.

I don't care that he's a minority or black. I'm a minority too and not white. (No white guilt here...and therefore no way to leverage it.)

I don't know that I will vote for McCain, but I will keep that option open. Personally, I would like for HRC to run as an independent.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

July 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. PUMA delusions of Grandeur

I think its funny that these supporters who say 'Either Clinton as VP or no Obama'...like they have any leverage at all.
    What an impotent threat and joke this is.

Face it. some rational Hillary supporters will come along over time, others will not no matter what you do.
    Give Kudos, sympathy and support to those that do and ignore those who will not just out of their selfish and childish spite.
    They deserve to be hounded, they are asking for it, but all they want is attention. Dont give it to them.
    There movement is dying...just let it die.

Obama is ahead nationally and now has the support of 57% of -women voters. He also has Hillary's support. And the majority of Independents (albeit slim) and even some Republicans. More than enough to make up for the PUMA and NoBAma terrorist regimes.
    What that means is that we dont need you after all!!
    HOw does it feel to be increasingly irrelevant?

-Number of voters for Dems in 2008 (36 Million)

-Number of actual PUma and Nobama (et al) supporters not voting for Obama is shrinking (about 2 million now ). Thats .055 %, folks
    And thats if they are truly democrats.

So dont sweat it Obama supporters, we dont need the whining saboteurs, they cannot be saved. Please ignore them, they just want to be victims. Let them play victim. We are moving on without them

Obama '08

July 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Rob

He is not getting ONE penny from me !!!

July 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. JD

Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, wife of Sir Evelyn Robert Adrian de Rothschild (Knighted by Queen Elizabeth II), Mistress of the Ascott House, the 3,200 acre estate that has been in the Rothschild family since Baron Mayer de Rothschild, is calling Barack Obama an "elitist?"

Is she serious?

July 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Jeff Radun

If Obama and his supporters are not willing to help Hillary pay off her dept. Then her supporters and Hillary ow nothing to her party or Obama
    Let him loose to McCain and Hillary can run again in 2012

July 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. Vig

And why should we? He was the beneficiary of her debasement by the media and said and did nothing to stop it. Contribute to Obama? Never going to happen. Hail Hillary!

July 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Matt in NC

HOW THE HECK DOES THAT LYNN DE ROTHCHILD GET OFF CALLING OBAMA AN ELITIST???

SHE HAS THE TITLE "LADY" IN ENGLAND AFTER MARRYING INTO THE OLDEST OF THE OLD MONEY FAMILIES.

"LADY" DE ROTHCHILD IS A HYPOCRITICAL NUTCASE. I HOPE SHE CHOKES ON HER SILVER SPOON.

July 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. @HusseinIsAmerican2

HILLARY IS IN DEBT, OBAMA IS NOT........

OBAMA IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT, HILLARY WILL NEVER BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...

HILLARY AND HER SUPPORTERS (PEOPLE UNDER MENTAL ANGUISH) ARE SOOOOOOOOORE LOSERS, OBAMA IS THE WINNER......SMILING ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!

GET REAL FOLKS....HILLARY LOST FAIR & SQUARE...SHE BRAGGED ABOUT GETTING OUT OF THE KITCHEN IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT............WELL, HILLARY CAN STAY IN THE KITCHEN AND WORRY OVER HER DEBT!!!!!!!

OBAMA IS OUTTA DA KITCHEN CAMPAIGNING.....................

July 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. PUMAs for BARR

John McCAin is not what I had hoped would be a good alternative to Obama with Hillary getting frog-marched from the DNC. So I am voting for Bob Barr.
    I encourage all PUMAs , NoBAmas (And other fellow republicans) to Vote for Bob BArr instead of McCAin. He stood by while his crony called Hillary the 'b' word. I cannot condone this and I feel that McCAin is not the choice for me. Please join me in voting for Bob BArr

Bob BArr 08'

July 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Enlightened Voter

If Hillary's donors and PUMA/PAC chickies love her so darn much why don't they get her out of debt. Which by the way was all her fault, you nor she can blame that on Obama. She mismanaged her finances and you clowns wanted her to run our country. To heck with the guy that has run his finances and campaign brilliantly and has shown impeccable judgment, you just want your chickie babe. Grow up and get therapy cause you and she need it.

July 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. John

I have not trusted white women sonce they hijacked the civil rights movement and left the blacks (men & women) to fight for the scraps they left. If Hillary's losers want to sit this one out or vote for McCain, so be it. Obama will survive and so will the country.

July 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. TONY

And this is news how?????????

July 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. Enlightened Voter

Hey unions are not stupid – bravo! You're one of the few voices of reason on these blogs and it makes me feel good to know there is some sanity out there.

July 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Sandy

Obama is a donor to her debts, so if He can show support and help Her in Her time of need why not support Obama, some of you on hear saying you will never vote for Obama tells me you are not true Dems and were going to jump the fence when Hillary did not make the list. You truely show your hearts now that Obama is in. I wonder?

July 9, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Candy West Virginia

Hillary supporter now for McCain – I completely understand how you feel because I would not vote for Hllary if she were on the ticket and she wouldn't get a penny from me EVER! She is a ruthless woman and I will never forget how horrible she acted during this campaign so I understand you don't want to support Obama, remember there are many, many, many of us that can't bare to even speak her despicable name.

July 9, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. John

Hillary supporters will not give to Obama because compared even to her he is way far left. His poliicies are closer to communism. She was by far the more moderate candidate the Dems had. Her supporters are closer to McCains policies than Obama's.

July 9, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. Jos/TN

We are operating like the as we label, them third world countries

July 9, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. WeLuvObama

This is really sad. Hillary ran up her debt after she knew there was no possible way for her to win and now her supporters are asking his supporters to send her money. All of you whining Hillary supporters need to fork over some money to your beloved Hillary. I will never give her a dime. My donations will be going to Sen. Obama to help him win in November. She should have got ten out of the race back in February. Don't be manipulated Obama!!!!

July 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |