July 9th, 2008

Clinton donors hesitant to show love for Obama

Once fierce rivals, Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama stand together in June in Unity, New Hampshire.

(CNN) – Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton team up again Wednesday, but not all Clinton's supporters are jumping on the Obama bandwagon despite her calls for unity.

Two fundraisers are scheduled Wednesday in New York and a third on Thursday, making it five times the two have appeared together since Clinton ended her quest for the Democratic presidential nomination last month.

Two of the events are aimed at raising money for Obama's campaign, and one is to help Clinton retire the debt from her failed run.

The joint appearances have been choreographed carefully to produce pictures of the former rivals standing side by side in an effort to help move beyond the bitterness of the hard-fought Democratic primary.

But for some of Clinton's top supporters, it's going to take more than just encouragement from the former first lady to get them to open their wallets and hearts to Obama.

Full story

1. Clinton Supporter for Obama

I simply ask you to look at this. If Obama loses in November, and it's attributed to 15% or so of Clinton supporters switching sides, what are the odds that all the Obama supporters would just openly embrace Clinton in 2012 and not do exactly what you did? I voted for Hillary, and I hope she runs again someday, but let's be real here. It's in our best interests, on all sides, to stay together around the issues, otherwise Republicans are looking at another decade of control.

Let's stop the silliness and work together.

July 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. California Gold

I would never vote for Hillary Clinton. She ran deep into debt knowing full well she would not get enough delegates necessary to clinch the nomination. She mismanaged her campaign. She mismanaged her funding. She spent money she didn't have and why would I vote for her? Because she what??????? She has plans for fixing the economy??????? To quote Dr. Phil, "What ever in the world are you THINKING!" She can talk a good talk, but she sure can't walk the talk.

July 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  3. John

If Obama helps her with her debt then it is like buying her supporter's votes. Or at least that is the way iit seems. That isnt change!! If I had given money to his campain and I knew it ended up paying her debt I would feel betrayed!!!!

July 9, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. FRED, ATLANTA GA

De Rothchild is a COMPLETE JOKE!!!! I hope she doesn't jump on the obama band wagon they don't need people like her. If she's so good at fundraising let her raise money for hillary's debt! How dare she call obama an ELIST when she is one herself. This is why the obama campaign will not fully pay off her debt because of people in her camp!

July 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. What!!!

Mike, Syracuse NY July 9th, 2008 3:07 pm ET

How about if Obama gives Hillary $18 million to retire her debt and in return, she gets 18 million supporters to vote for him? $1/vote, what a deal.

Hey Mike, that is illegal. But it is a Clinton so anything goes...Right?

July 9, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. VA

I say okay then whatever.
    Nobody is going to bend over to kiss anybody's feet.
    They lost deal with it. They lost because there were issues within the campaign camp that had NOTHING to do with Obama.
    He didn't say...hey don't take me seriously. Don't plan for after Feb 5.
    Let this infight within your camp continue rather than dealing directly with people and getting them under control. No that wasn't Obama.
    That was HRC.

Now if the roles were reversed do you think anybody would stand for him or his supporters acting like children? Heck-e-no...
    They would be all over him. Clinton, her supporters the media and everybody else.

So I say he can't make his people give money. Just as she can't make her people give money.

If you don't like him then I doubt he wants your money anyway.
    So stand on the sideslines....it's too bad you can't be big enough to support them Democratic nominee. But I definiately don't think he needs to beg or kiss anybody's feet. And that means selecting HIS choice for VP.

V

July 9, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Nikole

To Pledged Delegate for Hillary in CA

It is quite obvious that you know how to use the internet. Please get off of cnn.com and go to Obama's website. All of the information you seek is there and has been there for quite some time.

July 9, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Saad from NJ

Oh come on Clinton supporters.... I was one too but what's more important, a person or the country? Are you a democrat because of Hillary or you love Hillary because she is a democrat. I love her too but come on, please grow up, go back to school. If not for own sake, for the sake of your children after you will be dead.

July 9, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. azeezah

I do not understand why Hillary Clinton's 18 million backers cannot
    each donate $1.25 each to retire her campaign debt.

July 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Betsy Brown

These remarks make me ashamed to be a born and bred Democrat. And saying that, I must say I'm not going to vote (for the first time in memory) for either McCain nor Obama. Neither can improve the conditions in our country. Woe is us!

July 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Sabaka

It is amazing. Hillary is able to "loan" herself $10 million, but Obama is the elitist? Anyone see the difficulty here??

July 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. Eddie B.

These Clinton supporters that will not back Barack Obama are actually playing into the stereotypes they are trying to dispel. To not vote for him because of emotions over the fact that McCain is 4 more years of Bush is absurd. For women Clinton supporters to say they won't vote because they "just don't like him and that he is an elitist" over the fact that McCain has stated he will overturn Roe V. Wade is emotional.

July 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. Luke Brown, Charleston SC

Politics is ugly, and losing ain't pretty. Folks, get over it.

I was for Hillary. Now I am for Barack and proud of it. Welcome to the real world. You never get everything you want in a candidate. Millions of Americans are hungry. Millions are unemployed. Millions are sick. Many are dying in Iraq. For God's sake stop whining, roll up your sleeves, and get to work with the rest of us.

Hillary lost me when she ran up all that debt when it was clear she wasn't going to win. All she did with it was to weaken the Democrats' chances in the fall .... now she wants all of us to pay for it! Get real.

The comments by Madame de Rothschild about Barack being an "elitist" are a joke. Which one of her several mansions was she in when she said that?

de Rothschild and her husband are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. She could easily give Hillary the $20 million to pay off her debt and not miss it at all.

July 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. GM

Everybody in my Democratic party just needs to do a little growing up. Barack and Hillary are burying the hatchet. It's time that the rest of us Clintonites and Obamiacs follow suit !!!...UNITE FOR CHANGE!!!
    Otherwise John Mccain AND GEORGE W. BUSH will be the ONLY ones to benefit.

July 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. McBride, SLC, UT

Oh my.... are we not sick of this subject yet. Move on people! And my advise to the Clinton supporter.... Get over yourselves.

July 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Rache from Bowie

To "Hillary supporter now for McCain" , go, begone and good riddance. Think for a minute–you picked one loser and now you are supporting another loser in McTeleprompter–what does that say about you?

Again, McKeating 5 needs you so be off!

July 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. Franky

Is that simple people, you wanna donate, go donate or if you don't want to, then is your choice. If you wanna vote for McCain, vote for him, I'm sure you'll be proud, trust me. And if you don't like my boys ideas or "flip-flop" because his record is not like anyone who didnt expect(ohh yeah, I've looked at both records from the Senators and I'm telling you, at least McCain's is O.K, not bad but my boy's............let's just say you shouldv'e seen this coming), then vote for McCain or whatever he stands for....

July 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. Joanna

Elitism has nothing to do with income. Educate yourselves, people! And most presidential campaigns have debts to pay off after elections. And if you think we should discount some of Hillary's 18M voters due to Operation Chaos how about discounting all the caucus votes for Obama that DO NOT REFLECT THE VOTERS WISHES since most people cannot attend.

No Obama!

I will write in Hillary or leave it blank and vote the Democratic ticket otherwise once more. But, just once more. If the DNC doesn't rethink itself then I will change my registration.

Educated, white, working, woman.

PUMA Power! Go to Denver and make yourselves heard!

July 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. 58-year-old white woman

The fact that she still wants a roll call at the convention which can only cause a divide and has hired a LAWYER to negotiate it, tells me she is throwing good money after bad. Why would I contribute to her further efforts to divide the party?

Let's see–she spoke of McCain being qualified and Obama not being qualified for pres. She mentioned that she was staying in because there had been a candidate shot and killed in the past. Gosh, why wouldn't we send her our gas money and walk to work? If her own supporters aren't helping that much, she shouldn't expect his to.

July 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Realistic

This is absolutely unreal. Obama fans have to be idiots at this point. He sat in that racist church for 20 years, he flip flops like the inexperienced candidate that he is, has had many questionable relationships over the years, in his obsession for power he jumped in front of other more qualified candidates and yet they continue to idolize him.

I think they have the Presidential race confused with American idol. I don't see anything at all to admire or vote for.

Hopefully there are more of us older voters who know a wolf in sheep's clothing when we see one!

July 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. Rache from Bowie

"Rob" Thanks...don't need you sore loser. Now go pay off HRC's debt imbecile!

July 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. John in Columbus Ohio

Darn, I'm sure it will be so hard for 100,000 Obama donors to donate $23 to cover the $2300 that a thousand "Hillraisers" would come up with before maxing out the contribution limits.

We don't need petulant sore losers.

July 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Leon

Go OBAMA. Democrats let's unite. Please ignore some of these comments, they are Republicans trying to divide the Democrats. It is not going to work. Democrats will retake the White house...

July 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  24. William,from Cali!

You, can lead the "horse" to the edge of the "water"; but you can't make him , go for a "swim"..............................

July 9, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. John

Why should anyone be asked to help with the Clinton debt?

Her campaign was in the RED about mid April so WHY did they continue to go deeper in debt? They knew that they had not chance of getting enough delagates to win, so who and why did they continue to run?

If her supporters really wanted her to keep going then THEY should step up and give her the extra funds, I do not think ALL of her supporters have max out. Maybe a few. Other wise the Clintons will have to pay their own bills if they lept running for their own egos.

That's my 2 cents worth.