July 9th, 2008

McCain takes on abortion issue in Ohio

McCain does not stress the abortion issue on the trail.
McCain does not stress the abortion issue on the trail.

PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (CNN) – John McCain broached his pet topic of pork barrel spending about five separate times during his Ohio town hall Wednesday, but the GOP nominee-in-waiting didn’t get a standing ovation during question time until he mentioned an issue he typically avoids - abortion.

A female voter asked the senator about the country’s divorce rate, which offered McCain a chance to praise “the two parent family organization that shares our values” as “the strongest unit in America.”

But McCain also saw an opening to discuss the abortion issue, a matter that traditionally hasn’t animated him on the stump.

After praising President Bush’s efforts to expand faith-based programs, McCain pivoted: “I also think that we should do everything that we can, and one of those in my view is respect for human life both born and the unborn.”

Here, the audience leapt to their feet, eagerly applauding McCain. It’s the second time in two weeks the senator has been roundly applauded while discussing abortion in Ohio.

At a fundraiser in suburban Cincinnati on June 26, several hundred donors gave McCain only polite applause throughout his remarks. But when McCain mentioned his support for “the sanctity of human life,” the small audience roared with approval.

At the town hall Wednesday, he also drew a distinction between himself and Barack Obama on abortion, calling it “a big difference” between them.

McCain said that while in the Illinois state legislature, Obama “voted against a ban on partial birth abortion, one of the most odious things that I have ever heard of.”

He concluded his answer by calling for more adoptions.

“I want us to understand that every life is precious, and that there is family in America for every child,” he said.

Filed under: John McCain • Ohio
  1. Dan J

I'm not in the Bible Belt, I'm not particularly religious, I'm not even Republican. But I really like what McCain said.

Scrambling a baby's brain at nine months in a birth canal, that's just barbaric unless its to save the life of a mother. Yet, Obama is OK with it. That's disgusting.

July 9, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. jj

"my body, my choice"

your baby's body, your choice?????

July 9, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  3. Jimmy, NY

Right on John-with Obama flip-flopping now on a daily basis, we can feel the noose tightening around his neck.

July 9, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  4. proudTX

I never quite understand how people can think the supposed "fetus" is merely an extension of their body and because of that "it" is a part of their body and they can do what they want with "it".

Do they then have twenty fingers? and twenty toes?

Two heads? Four arms? Four feet? Four eyes?

And if it's a boy, then the woman really has a problem!

Somehow I really don't think so!!!!

July 9, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. A SONGBIRD SANG IN VIETNAM

If he was poor and pregnant, it might be a different story.

But then, he ditched his disabled wife and married money. He'll never be pregnant.

Control those women – take their rights to choose away – that's all we hear from him.

He killed innocent women and children in Nam. Not even smart enough to avoid capture. Get Real !!

Obama 08

July 9, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  6. David Peter

MY BODY MY TEMPLE MY CHOICE

July 9, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. linda from South Dakota

geez,,mccain, u cant have it both ways,,lol,, ( we know its to cover your bu**)

July 9, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  8. David Peter

What say you now, Clinton junkies???

July 9, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. Xavier

Listening to McCain on my laptop I couldnt help but be reminded of some of the interviews that pro wrestlers do on television. He was going after what they call the cheap pop. This is when a wrestler knows that the audience is falling asleep on him and he will say anything that will get the crowd riled up so as to generate some excitment. Its a cheap trick only used by those who cant entertain and excite a crowd through the merit of their own skills. Sadly, and as incredible as it is to believe, pro wrestling is probably more believable than any of the words coming out of McCains mouth these days.

July 9, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  10. Penn State Student for Obama

Correction to my earlier comment. Pro-Life is the only really characteristics to John McCain.i like I cannot understand how so many people can support abortion. When people get killed the criminals are arrested and thrown into Prison. Why should it be different for the women who kill their babies, their as bad as these criminals. I'm sorry but there will probably people who bash me but that is my opinion and I'm entilted to it just like everyone else. If you don't believe me it says it in the TEN COMMANDMENTS "THOU SHAL NOT KILL".

CNN PLEASE POST!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Dew5050

If Mcsame has respect for human life, how come he was making jokes about killing Iranians with cigarettes? None of the main stream media has reported it . I can only imagine the obvious if obama had made the joke.

July 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. Frank

My body my choice...

...and the life you carry deserves their own choice!

July 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  13. Xavier

I find it funny how some McCain people like to get on a soap box, and then use the word Anonymous to identify themselves.

July 9, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  14. Aliou FL for Obama

McCain=Bush: Boom Boom Boom Boom

July 9, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Susan

Fon't tell me what to do McBush. Your problem is you are of the generation of women should be seen and not heard! You will not take away my rights or the rights of any other woman in this country you warmonger.

July 9, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  16. Aliou FL for Obama

McCain = Bush ; Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom One hundred years boomboom.

July 9, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Citizens For America First

HOW CAN ANYONE HAVE LIVED SO LONG AND

REMAINED SO IGNORANT & EMPTY HEARTED?

July 9, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. ben

How can a man who has helped send over four thousand Americans to their death in Irak plus over a hundredthousand inocent Irakies to join them say he believes in the sanctity of life?
    I reme mber Jerry Falway saying why he was against stem cell research because "all life is to be protected"
    On the same program he later stated we must go over there and kill them before they come over and kill us. Just what bible do these people read?

July 9, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  19. Jan Illinois

Jack, You closed the Jackson blog much to quick. Had it been anyone else, THERE WOULD BE CONSEQUENCES AND REPORCAUTIONS!!!!!! By the way Jesse , Where have you BEEN? Cnn needs to get the opinion of this statement from Mr. Sharpton, He'll have an interesting statement to make, IF YOU CAN FIND HIM!!!

July 9, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. Tell the truth

so is he pro-life or pro choice?

July 9, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  21. tigerakabj

McSenile, you can try to make abortion an election issue. It's just like your repub friends to talk about this yet support the war as well as the death penalty. Another wedge issue.

Sorry McCain, but like always Obama will beat you over the head with the abortion issue if you make it one. If you start that gay marriage crap again, I would love to see people bringing up your own marriage problems (first wife).

You are going to lose, and lose bad. Get ready to be thumped McSame.

July 9, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  22. Wesley

Too many of you choose to ignore what abortion really is. Any bona fide abortionist such as Tiller will even admit to you that abortion is MURDER. Support what you wish, but admit what it is you support. I'm sick of people comparing war and the death penalty with abortion. Certainly innocent people are sometimes killed in war. Certainly there have been cases of innocent people on death row. BUT, innocent people are ALWAYS killed in an abortion. Have the guts to take a look at an abortion. The videos are out there. If you're scared to, there is a reason; you are viewing the murder of another human being.

July 9, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  23. Scott Noreuil

I think the State of Ohio should think about putting another Republican in office considering the jobs they have lost under the Republicans. Maybe its time for a Democrat and grow jobs in Ohio State. We seem to forget Bill Clinton grew 23 milion jobs during his administration..

July 9, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Scott

Why do the Republicans always want to take away a women right to make a decision. Do they think they can't make an intelligent decision on a pregnancy?

July 9, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. Phillip Bunn

There in nothing more pathetic than a 73 year old man believing that he has the "moral" right to make a decision on abortion. It is, and always should be, an individual right, decided upon by that individual, without exception!! With the U.S. in constant turmoil from economics to war, surely McCain can find a cause better suited to prolonging overall human life and leave the "unalienable" rights of the fetus to those who carry them. Unless, of course, his brain is still in a fetal position.

July 9, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |