July 9th, 2008

Michelle Obama said no to Barack running to protect her kids

CNN

Watch Michelle Obama's comments .

(CNN)— In the wake of comments from presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that he regretted allowing his daughters to participate in a television interview and would be avoiding similar situations in the future, wife Michelle Obama said again Wednesday she had initially asked her husband not to run for president because she didn’t want her two children to endure constant media exposure.

“I said don’t do it,” Michelle Obama told supporters at an event in Michigan. “What was going through my mind is that politics is mean and tough. I mean there was nothing that I wanted for my girls less than to have their lives turned upside down, you know to have them exposed to the public eye [or] to hear their parents being criticized on national TV.”

The potential first lady said she eventually decided that supporting her husband’s presidential bid would be the best move she could make for her daughters — that she wanted them to grow up in a world where there weren't any limits on what they could achieve.

“I had to step back and take off my ‘me’ hat and put on my ‘citizen’ hat,” Mrs. Obama said.

1. Not proud of my country

Michelle, your girls will be just fine because you two are such great parents! It's a shame the rest of the country has not caught up to you yet but your setting the example and they will, one day. BTW I am still not proud of my country for obvious reasons.

July 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Jan

I am relieved she thought it was in the children's best interest that she exploit them–Funny, I thought she was using them to promote her husband. She, at least, does not seem as angry at bitter at America now that BO has secured the nomination. from now on.

July 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. John B. From New Hampshire

can anyone say family values? :)

July 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Cynthia

I loved the interview with the girls (they are both cute and articulate) and didn't see anything wrong with it, but understand the Obama's position of protecting the girls.

July 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. What!!!

Should've, would've, could 've all mean you didn't. Why didn't you stand up for your opinion?

July 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. T.D.T. Supports Change!

The funny thing is, she has given this same speech every time she speaks but it is only now getting attention!!!!!!

Media Circus!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Dina from Clinton, WI

I admire Michelle Obama as a mother and a wife. she seems to have a wonderful healthy family. she is a good role model for the rest of us American mothers and wifes that have to juggle responsabilities at home and at work.

July 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. usa

now,this woman is a REAL patriot!we understand your sacrifice and will do whatever we can to support you and your family!the girls were great in their interview,but,i understand your concerns.republicans are so hateful!

July 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  9. Jeff

She said no because she wanted to protect his behind...not the kids.

July 9, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. not important

Cindy McCain is rich. I can"t believe that Cindy and John McCain would call Barack and Michelle Obama elitist.

July 9, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. California Gold

I think she's a good Mom. Who of us can't relate to wanting to insulate our young children from a situation that has the potential to be high profile ugliness of politics? If anything, it may remind all of us to think before launching lunatic rantings and hateful rhetoric. Then again, those who can't control those tendencies don't care if children get hurt.

July 9, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. gary

THERE'S THE OTHER HALF OF A BIG JOKE. O.B. IS SUCH A CON MAN. YOU LOST MINDED YOUNG MORONS DONT KNOW ANY BETTER THAN TO VOTE FOR AN UNKNOWN ,ARROGANT,HYPOCRITICAL GREENHORN. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

July 9, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Angela

Oh dear.....the republicans are going to jump on this one too – Michelle is not on board with her husband being president. Add it to the list. It is all in how this will be interpreted, or misinterpreted, but it is still out there for people to talk about.......

July 9, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Ian M

Nice to have a lady who has real opinions. Unlike Laura Bush and Cindy McCain.

July 9, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Adam

How many fluff stories are you going to run about Obama CNN? You have at least one a day. Seriously, she's said this a million times, its not news. Please stop with the bias CNN. MSNBC and FOX are bad enough, no need to join them.

July 9, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. David, Silver Spring, MD

How nice to think that we can have a first lady who isn't wearing a politician mask, who represents citizens because she is herself a citizen.

This country was founded on the principle that ours is a government of, by, and for the people. Somewhere along the way we've lost that principle, and have started to believe that we must be governed by people who are different from us, with a strange, scripted way of talking and a bizarre, robotic, empty way of behaving.

Michelle Obama is a woman who looks, talks, and acts like us because she is one of us. Just as it's supposed to be.

July 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. bestmick, martinsburg WV

can you believe this skank might be in the white house?

July 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Ardnuas

Thank you Mrs. Obama for being a REAL patriot.....instead of the fakes and phony people who SAY they are!!!!

July 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. Peter E

I will believe it when I DON't see it. But with Obama's record of doing and saying anything to get elected you can bet he'll be parading his kids again and again for months to come!

July 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Todd

Trash....Pure Trash It's absolutely ludicrous what the dems will prop up for a candidate. Hussein and the Mrs. are just products of the rotten chicago political machine. He's about as capable of the presidency as my canary...

July 9, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. Peter E

Oh yeah, and where was the media's sense of decency? They couldn't stop disecting Obama's family life, parading those kids on tv for days!
    Media: take a long hard look in the mirror!

July 9, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Bitter - New Orleans, LA

They already live in a world where there aren't limits to what they can achieve. Oh that's right, I don't live in your imaginary world where only having barack as president will make you proud and the world a better place.

July 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. Joseph - Ohio

She is not a beast (Brandon), shame on you for saying so. Again and again I say, when is this election ever going to be about the issues that matter!!!!!!! Why is an interview with these children news??? Come on, would someone please fix this country???

July 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. Sandy

Michelle i wish I had those arms. Love you Michelle, all the way for Obama.

July 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  25. susie

Obama asked for the interview for the girls. The media didn't ask them. Michelle is such a liar.

July 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |