July 9th, 2008

Michelle Obama said no to Barack running to protect her kids

CNN

Watch Michelle Obama's comments .

(CNN)— In the wake of comments from presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that he regretted allowing his daughters to participate in a television interview and would be avoiding similar situations in the future, wife Michelle Obama said again Wednesday she had initially asked her husband not to run for president because she didn’t want her two children to endure constant media exposure.

“I said don’t do it,” Michelle Obama told supporters at an event in Michigan. “What was going through my mind is that politics is mean and tough. I mean there was nothing that I wanted for my girls less than to have their lives turned upside down, you know to have them exposed to the public eye [or] to hear their parents being criticized on national TV.”

The potential first lady said she eventually decided that supporting her husband’s presidential bid would be the best move she could make for her daughters — that she wanted them to grow up in a world where there weren't any limits on what they could achieve.

“I had to step back and take off my ‘me’ hat and put on my ‘citizen’ hat,” Mrs. Obama said.

1. Frieda

I don't care what words she uses now to cover up, America is downright mean........it won't work

July 9, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Frieda

It won't make us forget 'For the 1st time ...

July 9, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. DAREN IN MIAMI

watch your back Obama, cuz im in love with your wife!
    :) just kidding

July 9, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Andrea Williams

Michelle, people who have mean things to say, are very jealous. They are just biting at the teeth that you are and articulate, caring and intelligent woman. The idea of a racial minority in the white house is driving some people crazy. Keep your smile on, your eyes on the white house and your victory will be sweet.

July 9, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. Tim

Is John McSame a flip flopper??? Let's see...

McCain will repeal the AMT. Wait, no ...
    ...not exactly. The presidential candidate has been saying he would eliminate the so-called "wealth tax" that threatens the non-wealthy. But now he supports a more modified plan.

That's not only a flip flop, it a half gainer with a full twist!!!! LOL!!!!

July 9, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Jake

Yep, now Barack is throwing the kids under the bus.

July 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. beth - florida

For the 1st time in my life I agree with this woman...

Barack, you should have listened to your boss and stayed home.

July 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Frieda

Is That the same citizen hat she puts on that says -America is down right mean.

July 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. nobambi

JUST SHUT UP. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU RACIST LAWYERS.

NO MORE LAWYERS !!!

YOU IS ONE UGLY WITCH SHUT UP AND GO CRAWL IN YOUR HOLE TAKE THAT FERRY HUSBAND WITH YOU !!!

July 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. MD in GA

The children were delightful. Malia sounds just like my 11 year old granddaughter. Funny, smart, open and honest. Little Sasha is a doll. However, The Obama's are right to protect them from further interviews.

There are some very hate filled bigoted people in the US and the children need to be protected. Too bad though. I enjoyed hearing what the girls think of all this. I really hope my granddaughter saw the interview.

July 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Obama 08: Female, 60, white

"Brandon Hilary": How about you post a picture of yourself along with your disparaging comments. You might also what to freshen up and how to avoid run on sentences.

July 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. PROUD U.S AIR FORCE VET AND FATHER

I really love the fact that Sen Obama and his wife are not only reaching change and talking about family value but LEADING BY EXAMPLE. I have never seen a politician run for office try to kidd their kidds grounded at the same time. I respect the moral value they stand by. I only wish those whom wish to down play thier action could say they would do the same for our families and for America. "WE ARE ALL AMERICANS"

July 9, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Marc PDX

Very impressive machinations, Michelle! Especially since taking the "me" hat off doesn't appear to come very easy to you. Well done!

July 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Independent in Iowa

"that she wanted them to grow up in a world where there weren't any limits on what they could achieve."

– Now if Hillary got the nomination, does that mean your kids wouldn't have opportunity?

July 9, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Simple Wisdom, Toronto

Congratulations to the Parents for taking a very serious issue, in dealing with prying ears and eyes.

Senator Obama and Mrs. Obama are parents we should respect

As there are millions of parents who let their children run loose without any supervision.

July 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. Marc PDX

Perhaps consider not trotting them out on the stage at the stadium in Denver then. Just a thought...

July 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. Cathy

She is well toned and fit...Look at her arms...Strong woman...yum yum

July 9, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. J, CA

Look who's pimping daughters now

July 9, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  19. Patty, Big Bear, CA

I like this woman more and more....

July 9, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. SGS

ANY SPEECHES FROM CINDY MC CAIN? NOT COMMENTS, SPEECHES. PLEASE SHARE...

IT'S OKAY TO BE A WOMEN OF THE 21ST CENTURY....

July 9, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. SGS

ANY SPEECHES FROM CINDY MC CAIN? NOT COMMENTS, SPEECHES. PLEASE SHARE...

IT'S OKAY TO BE A WOMAN OF THE 21ST CENTURY....

July 9, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. Keeping Tabs

Keep up the good work, Mrs. Obama! I'm glad my young daughter has a woman like you for a role model!

July 9, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  23. Michelle, Our Next First Lady

Michelle,

You are a wonderful mother and will be a fantastic first lady. I admire how you endure all the insults from mean-spirited people.

Keep up the good work, and we will see you in the White House.

An Obama Voter

July 9, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. colene

the obama girls are going to be okay because they have two strong role models and i know the media and press will respect your wishes.

July 9, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  25. DR. J

CAMPAIGN 2008 LESSON #1 --

PEOPLE ARE STILL INTIMIATED BY INTELLIGENT, STRONG, WELL-RAISED WOMEN/MOTHERS.

GROW UP AMERICA. GO MRS. OBAMA AND OTHER WOMEN WHO ARE NOT AFRAID TO LIVE IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

July 9, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |