July 9th, 2008

Michelle Obama said no to Barack running to protect her kids

CNN

Watch Michelle Obama's comments .

(CNN)— In the wake of comments from presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that he regretted allowing his daughters to participate in a television interview and would be avoiding similar situations in the future, wife Michelle Obama said again Wednesday she had initially asked her husband not to run for president because she didn’t want her two children to endure constant media exposure.

“I said don’t do it,” Michelle Obama told supporters at an event in Michigan. “What was going through my mind is that politics is mean and tough. I mean there was nothing that I wanted for my girls less than to have their lives turned upside down, you know to have them exposed to the public eye [or] to hear their parents being criticized on national TV.”

The potential first lady said she eventually decided that supporting her husband’s presidential bid would be the best move she could make for her daughters — that she wanted them to grow up in a world where there weren't any limits on what they could achieve.

“I had to step back and take off my ‘me’ hat and put on my ‘citizen’ hat,” Mrs. Obama said.

1. mike obama

This election is between experienced military person tied to patriotism and inexperienced community organiser tied to racism. Lets us wait and see what triumps in American politics. Patriotism or Racism.

July 9, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  2. PUMA 4 HILL

I don't want to see this hateful woman speak. Already tired of all the "words" the two of them speak... Holier than the rest of us.

Go away. Not fit to lead this great country.

Hillary supporters will NOT forget what really happened at the caucuses and the way Obama and his thugs trashed the Clintons. NOW they need and want their support.

McCain '08 for Clinton '12

July 9, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. K

Very amusing...she put her "citizen" hat on....is that the same hat she wore when she complained about not being proud of the country in which she is a 'citizen'...again, very amusing...

July 9, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. mobee

She said the exact same thing in Jan. What, it wasn't important then?

July 9, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. NICHOLAS

i am very proud of my Mother,for wanting the best for her children,and Michelle Obama is no different she just wants the best for her kids.americans need to stop twisting everythiing this lady says to mean something else just because she is of a different skin colour.
    I am very proud that there are still parents out there that still want to protect heir kids fro the meaness of this world

i feel comforted to know that such a strong woman will be America's next first lady.

July 9, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. PROUD U.S AIR FORCE VET AND FATHER

It is funny how racism is always brought out in these topic.. so to all of the racist whom have a fear of black people. Should we consister the candidate you vote for as racist too. Because no self loving racist would ever endorse a candidate the like blacks or another race.

July 9, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  7. interesting

well i guess your judgment prevailed

NOT

July 9, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. Helen, NY

Who cares? They do not serve to be in White House. CNN wants to put them ont he pedestal.

July 9, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. RJ, CA

The Obama girls already do well, with the $10,000 a year their mother says are spent on piano and dance lessons for them.

I’d also like Michelle explain how her compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital jumped from $121,910 in 2004 - before her husband was elected to the U.S. Senate - to $316,962 in 2005 - just 3 months after was elected. That's nearly a $200,000 raise. Think she suddenly became more proficient on the job? I think it’s more a case of “special interests” at work there.

I also think she dresses in really poor taste. Continually exposing her arms like that makes her look a bit "trashy" and militant and is extremely undignified for a woman who wants to be first lady.

July 9, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  10. amt,Fresno,CA

You have a wonderful family. The girls are just adorable. They seem to be well adjusted to the new life they are in & new home in the WH. Which I am sure will come about. A beautiful first familly. Best Regards.

July 9, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. Michele

Chelsea, the Bush girls, Amy, the Kennedy kids all have to suffer media attention. Michelle can do her best, but we're going to see them anyway. She and Barack are too honest with the American people. They should reserve some of their thoughts for themselves.

July 9, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. McGreen

Barack and Michele are wonderful examples of good parents and citizens.

July 9, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  13. Former HC Girl

Sounds like Michelle is a flip flopper too!! She says she didn't want her kids subjected to a mean political campaign, and then she allows the interviews and then says they regret doing that.
    These people either cannot make up their minds or are just plain idiots.
    I think idiots.
    Send them back to Chicago.
    PUMA

July 9, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. Anita from Arizona

WOW, everyone does find a spin in every story don't they? One interview with his girls in the whole time Obama's been campaigning, primary and general combined, and you got him judged as parading the kids for votes. The bad comments are getting out of control in here. And all based on no evidence or proof at all.

July 9, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. RG Florida

I respect the couple. They compliment each other.

Obama expresses his opinions about nutrition. He is a leader and a role model.

July 9, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. Ray P

STRONG BLACK WOMAN!!! America is sooo scared of that. Michelle is one of the best articukated and educated women out there and I tend to see people giving her such a bad name. On the other hand cindy Mcwar is just another quiet, don't have a mind of her own....woman! America, WAKE UP!!!

July 9, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. Fishers, Indiana

Who cares what this woman has to say? I am so disappointed in her.

July 9, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. greg

what in the world is going on?

July 9, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  19. daily

The picture of Michelle Obama shows clearly that she could "wear two hats" to quote her. She be both First Lady & body guard. It's obvious she could kick the crap out of him.

July 9, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. Vig

The more these two open their mouths, the more bull spills out. If Obama flip-flops on this issue, I can't wait to see what he does when there is the eventual showdown with Iran. I can hear it now, "I regret having done this, I regret having said that, I regret, I regret, I regret. Yeah, and I regret that you are running for a position you have no business occupying. Put Hillary Clinton's name in nomination in August and return her stolen nomination.

July 9, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  21. Ed

Hmm... Now you see em, now you don't. Just like Obama to do what he needs when he needs to just win.

July 9, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. Ed

Flip-Flop, Flip-Flop, Flip-Flop!!!

July 9, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. Toot

Someone is not telling the truth here. Just a few months ago her brother stated in an interview on national tv that she is the reason that he is running for President and she is a very sore loser.
    I see another flip flop here!!

July 9, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  24. Go McCain

I am so tired of everyone saying how she is "just like us"–a "working mom". Well, I'm a working mom but I don't think I have much in common with her. I'm not a lawyer, living in a mansion, married to a Senator making 6 figures with million dollar book deals. Tell me, Michelle, how often did you go to the local Target and comparison shop for generic diapers, formula, etc? Did you worry about losing part of your paycheck ( and how that would affect the weeks grocery bill) when a child was sick and you had to leave work? Somehow, I don't think you and me have much in common.

July 9, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. GHM

What a family! To place their children before themselves is far and few between in these days and in our society. It may have been a mistake to have this publice interview but the real point should be that you have learned by your mistake and will never do it again. You are a beautiful family, a lot ot be proud of, and should be admired by more people in this country and lear from you and your family values.
    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR BELOVED GIRLS. Can't wait for them to be able to roam the halls of our Grand White House.
    Loev you.