July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. Obama fan

Evan Bayh seems like a good choice. So does Joe Biden. I am sure Obama will make a great choice and it won't be Hillary.

BTW, loved the kids in the interview and while I agree that limiting the access of the media to the girls is important for many reasons, thank you for letting us see what great kids they are! I am not surprised, but have heard many say it really gives them an insight into you, sir. So thanks and don't have regrets. Those who have negative comments are either afraid of being proved wrong about you or just agitating for McCain.

Can't wait to see who Obama picks for VP.

July 9, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. not important

Obama should not pick Hillary.

July 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. Marc PDX

He probably dropped in because he's worried about the hemorrhage going on with his potential running mate list. If they keep fleeing at this rate pretty soon only Hillary and John Edwards will be left. The short list is getting short all by itself. Wonder why? Maybe it's because more experienced democrats realize this presidency is a train wreck coming in slow motion. Just a thought...

July 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. larry buchas

I hope they consider Wes Clark and Joe Biden. Foreign Policy matters are becoming more crucial each day. We need a stable mind to deal with these issues.

You name it. Iraq, Iran, Israel, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey, Zimbabwe are all volatile.

July 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. Texas Liberal

Hillary is the best choice for Obama. I wish she didn't have a husband tagging around behind her, because he is her only liability. Practically any of the Democratic candidates would be fine.

July 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Ryuken

If he doesn't pick Hillary I vote McCain – simple as that. I have never voted for Republican in my life, but I will!

July 9, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  7. NoMcSame

I don't care who he picks "JUST WIN BABY'. Stop the Bush/ McSame killing machine.

July 9, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  8. sky

I am just hopeful he is not picking Hillary. The way some of her supporters have behaved has really turned me off to that.

July 9, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  9. Margo Murphy

Please Hillary stay away. We need you in 2012. Who ever aligns himself with Obama will go down. Everyday he changes his mind about every decision he makes. He is incapable of making a decision and sticking to it. Which ever way the wind blows.... that's the Obama motto.

I'm writing in Clinton in November.

July 9, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  10. Kiah

Ryuken, PLEASE DO!

I'm SO SICK of these so-called Dems and their threats. Vote McCain! Obama WILL WIN ANYWAY!

Obama '08

July 9, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  11. Scott ATL

I hope Hillar supporters do vote for Mccain, and still they'll lose...

July 9, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  12. JD

oh wow! oh wow! stopped at the vetter's office, did he? OMG!! OMG!!!! simply incredible!!!!! really really AWESOME!

July 9, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  13. just the facts

Factcheck.org people...dont be afraid of the truth

July 9, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Oooo – Ryuken...idle threats will still get you nowhere. Stop being a baby.

July 9, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  15. Shane

HE SHOULD PICK HILLARY. IF HE DID WE WOULD HAVE 18 YEARS OF DEMOCRATS IN THE WHITE HOUSE

July 9, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  16. Superdelegate

Any PUMA voter who states they are voting for McCain are actually McCain staffers. Real PUMA members are voting for Barr.

July 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. Accountant Guy

I pray he does not pick Hillary. She can't be trusted and brings nothing but baggage and shadyness to his campaign. We can do better than Hillary. I have faith he will make a wish choice!!

Obama '08.

July 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Rebecca

Ahhh – Ryuken needs a bottle and a nap. Stop acting like a baby. Get over the fact Hillary didn't win the nomination but will still have a role in the office. If it isn't VP, it will be something... Supreme Court perhaps. Grow up.

July 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. Greg

does this mean he's closer to vp announcement and when likely?

July 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. No to Clilnton, CA

No & Never to Hillary Clinton! Anyone else.

July 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. David, Silver Spring, MD

Hey "Ryuken," vote as you wish. Vote for Nader if you want. Vote for Barr. Just spare us the sanctimony.

July 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. karen-phoenix

I am a republican who has backed Obama from the beginning. I was against Hillary but I have studied a lot on the internet and history. I do feel now that Hillary would make it "The Dream Team". They seem to work sooo well together and I do believe Bill and Chelsea would be a great benefit. Bill would be completely different campaigning for Obama/Clinton than he was just for his wife and I do believe the media blew a lot out of proportion. I'm also beginning to think we have way to many reporters and "expert polictical" pannelists. Way to many opionions trying to keep their jobs!!!!

July 9, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  23. PICKHILL08

Choose Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

July 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Little Lulu

To sky – and you think for one little minute that you Obama folks haven't been ugly??????? Think again. You all have been downright ugly to HRC and then expect us HRC supporters to just act like it didn't happen – well, I've got news SWEETIE – it did happen and you all were (and still are) having a blast downgrading Hillary. Just look at some of the posts including YOURS. Look in the mirror if you want to see bad behavior.

Plain and simple WE DON'T LIKE YOUR OBAMA – YOU CAN HAVE HIM – WE'LL STICK WITH HILLARY ALL THE WAY. You all will see, without us, Obama can't and won't win.

CNN – I know you won't post this because it is anti-Obama but who cares, I've said it. BTW – you all really need to hire some moderators who can read faster – takes forever for something to "moderate".

July 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. Desiree

Sens Clinton & Obama will be together today from 5:00 p.m.-6:30 p.m. at the Grand Park Hyatt on 42nd Street and Park Avenue.
    Bring a homemade sign and tell them that we want Hillary on the ticket!

July 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |