July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. true Democrat for fair play

Obama is quite the inspirational UNITER that he boasted himelf to be.

For the first time ever- democrats who have NEVER voted outside of the party in 20, 30, 40 years... NOW FEEL COMPELLED TO DO SO.

That is the price for racism, playing the race-card, insulting fellow democrats, debasing fellow voters, trashing the female candidate, making WAAAY too many sexual inuendos, being vulgar, filthy and denigrating towards others and STEALING the nomination.

July 9, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. larry buchas

Personally, I don't care if Barack picks Hillary. Putting her on the ticket will help pay her debts & unify the party.

But this visit may suggest a possible pick before his visit to Europe and the Middle East. Barack may want his potential VP to join him. That's why foreign policy experience is important>

July 9, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Marie in California

How come nobody ever vets Obama? Somebody really should.

Lifelong Democrat.....now brand new Republican.

July 9, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Jickson

how can you people back hilary? I don't even understand. She left her campain in so much trouble how is she going to be able to help run the country? Seriously follow the leader is the name of the game not follow the loser. Get with it and play the game!

July 9, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Lynn

Lisa he will probably flip flop on the VP pick too. Its a daily occurrence. He has flip-flop on everything so far. Have you noticed he has no problem reading his speeches, but when he answers a reporter question is when he gets confused. No I didn't mean that etc. That is why I keep saying he needs to go back to his day job – get some experience – and run for President in 8 years. He is trying to be all things to all and nothing to anyone. Hillary is the one and only.

July 9, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. Price to pay is Obama himself

I have NEVER seen a candidate SO good at uniting that he lost more than half of his own lifelong democratic party base.

Do you realize what it takes to make us lifelong, reject the nominee of the party, MUCH LESS actually LEAVE the party?

Well... that is how unpleased we are with the direction the Party, the DNC and Obama have taken this new democratic party.

Never before have so MANY bigoted, sexist, forceful, demanding, filthy haters infiltrated the party of justice and equality for ALL. In 35 years I have never seen democrats gang up and throttle one of their own. To sabotage your OWN best candidate to install the least qualified lesser one... what a mockery of democratic ideals.

SUFFER ON MY FAIR DEMOCRATS....

July 9, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. ladymary

JOSHUA........Go fight th battle of Jericho. The Hillary battle is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. Marie

Obama/Biden 08'

July 9, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. Baah baaah...bleat the Obamists

Obama was able to fool the sheople- but not the true democratic people.

July 9, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. PICK BILL RICHARDSON

I'm a huge Clinton supporter, and have donated to her campaign as well. I have never voted republican in my life. I hope Obama DOES NOT ask Hillary Clinton to be the VP.

I'm voting for John McCain regardless of who Obama picks for his VP, even if it is Clinton.

All else equal, I'm sure Obama would have been a decent president in the 90's or at some other point in history. However, it is very clear to me that he is either unprepared to handle or doesn't fully grasp the historic challenges that are posed to our country at this time.

Iran cannot be talked down. How are you going to deal with that one Obama?

July 9, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. MARYANN Oswego IL

Can we have 2 new people to choose from....for all of you Obama freaks if he does pick Hagel that is a slap in the face to all of the good Democrats out there (if you think McCain is prolife Check out Hagel's resume)Obama can't decide whether or not using his own 2 little girls was a good idea or not...kind of like having them sit at REV. WRIGHT's sermons was a good thing for a child!!!!! A sad life long democrat who may not vote at all!.Can McCain pick ARNOLD????Since Barack was born in Kenya why can't we have ARNOLD as a VP...just a thought.

July 9, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  12. Sheople yes, people no so much.

The NEWLY herded democratic sheep are following Obama blindly... but the rest of the wise old lifelong democratic party....NOT SO MUCH.

July 9, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  13. Sharon

Eric Holder needs to be investigated. He has shaky ties. I'm sorry to say he had a minor role in the Clinton administration. Then Obama can throw him under the bus.

July 9, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. SAm

Its funny how much Obama supporters HATE Hillary. Sometimes i think they they are more against Hillary than for Obama.

They would rather keep Clinton out of the VP spot even if it cost Obama the Presidency......that is truly SAD.

Obama/Clinton 08!

July 9, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. Susan MO

Good one Lisa,

Vote for McBush then....who flip-flopped on imigration, his own public financing reform, torture, his first wife, far right religion, bush tax cuts for the richest, ethanol, roe v. wade, the confederate flag, martin luther king holiday, the list goes on and on. Name an issue, he's been on both sides of most.

July 9, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. phony baloney Obama

Obama di not fool me with his bragging and his big ego.

I voted for the very BEST candidate out there. Proud to do so.

No games, no show, no pandering, no hate games, no gender bias.

Will vote for Hillary again and again and again.

I will now NEVER vote for the sleazy professional campaigner, Obama. He can pander all he wants. I am not easily fooled by glitzy marketing. Nor do I obey the Oprah. Nor do I believe what the media peddles as truth.

I follow my own heart and to my own soul I am true.

Hillary... God bless you.

July 9, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. Irma in North Carolina

Here you go again you childish and racits hillary supporters, if you cant have your way, you are to vote for Mccain and vote in 4 more years of Bush. Can you not see the light.

July 9, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  18. Freida, NYC

It better be Hillary! If not, i'm votin McCain.

July 9, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. anna

Caroline Kennedy notorious avoids the spotlight, despite her famous heritage.
    She could be voted the MOST unlikely candidate for VP.

July 9, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. A Real Democrat Votes Issues

Obama & Clinton = a nightmare ticket

Sorry people but her disrespectful and dismissive attitude are what cost her the VP Slot. She didn't conceded when she knew she couldn't win, she didn't concede even when she'd LOST at the end of the nomination. She has stolen this historic moment from us because she is selfish. No avid Obama supporter who watched her and her husband's "its not fair its my turn" attitude during this whole primary could not whole-heartedly support that ticket. Second place doesn't equal VP slot. I would hate to have a President in Waiting as my VP, not someone who was supporting me from the beginning. And who needs both of them back in the White House? She's fake, her husband is fake and their "support" of Obama mounted to very little. Forget her and forget about these so-called "avid supporters" MOST of whom are voting or considering voting DEMOCRAT. I'm sick of people's whining and threatening, it won't work. We real Democrats will vote with our minds and hearts instead of our egos and bruised feelings. I hope PUMA isn't contagious, I'd hate to have that kind of MENTAL DISORDER.

Obama will win, get over it.

July 9, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. karen-phoenix

All those bloggers who will not vote if Hillary was on the ticket are a bunch of republicans trying to stir up trouble. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!

July 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. UP UP AND AWAY!!!!!!!

TO Lisa --I hope he doesn't flip flop on the VP pick, like he flip flopped on his daughters not speaking to the media. Flip Flopped on public financing, Flip Flopped on the war in Iraq, and Flip Flopped on Bill Clinton...........LISA FLOP THE H_LL OUT OF HERE!!!!

July 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. H

HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE NOT LOSERS. WE WILL EVENTUALLY BE THE WINNERS – HILLARY IS ABOVE ALL THE NASTY REMARKS MADE BY OBAMA'S SUPPORTERS AND THE MEDIA. SHE HAS HIGHER STANDARDS THEN ANY OF YOU. GET A LIFE AND LIVE AND LEAVE HILLARY ALONE.

July 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Lisa

Time for me to start brushing Obama off my shoulders!

July 9, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. Dems are stuck in the fix they rigged

When they selected and installed the unqualified, do-nothing, boastful inexperienced Orator... over the accomplished, experienced, overqualified policy wonk... THE DEMS LOST MILLIONS OF VOTES.

Nothing can undo the damage done by that travesty of justice.

Obama may still win by default in this republican-hating election.... but we will always know HOW he got the nomination- not on merit but by force.

JUST Being black isn't a qualification for the office of the presidency. JUST being female is not a DISqualification for it, either.

July 9, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |