July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. ch

It better be Hillary as VP or I will cast a protest vote against the democrats who I have supported since 1988.

July 9, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. Doris,Memphis,TN

Obama must pick Edwards as his VP.
    Joe Biden Secretary of State!

The Obama children are smart and good looking like their dad!
    Bush said that the little brown girl traveling with John McCain
    is his. Why would Bush say that?

July 9, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. dave

I hope my Hillary is on top of that list.

July 9, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. essam

No one but Hillary if he want to win

July 9, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. beth - florida

Gotta love it folks,

If Obama picks Hillary as VP, many will vote McCain

If Obama doesnt pick Hillary, many will vote McCain.

Either way Obama loses!!!

July 9, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Justin from West Haven, CT

Pick Biden.

July 9, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. Marilyn, Powell, Ohio

Ryuken: I felt like you; I wanted Hillary to be our president absolutely and said I would not vote or vote McCain. But I have come to my senses because our country cannot continue like this and John McCain is not the same man he was in 2000. I truly do not feel this man is up to the challenge of being president. We Democrats and "converts" need to take back the White House. There are things I do not like about Obama but I feel he will surround himself with very intelligent people, unlike the cronies in the Republican party. I read where someone said they were a Democrat because they could not be mean enough or selfish enough to be a Repulican. Think about what has happened in the past 7 1/2 years. I just hope Obama DOES NOT pick Bill Richardson for his VP!

July 9, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  8. Gretchen, MA

This is so wonderful. I love the fact that Caroline is working so hard to help the O Team. She is a national treasure and a gem.

Obama 08

July 9, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. Ed in Portland

Ron Paul or Edwards!!!

July 9, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. Ned, TN

Can a Hillary supporter tell me if they think Hillary is trustworthy? Or does honesty matter?

July 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. Greg

think will he choose VPbefore he leaves on Europe trip?

July 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. caribbean admirer of Obama

There is no way to stop the winning track of Obama and I don't have to hope because I know that he will not choose Hillary as VP. So you all Hillary (no Obama) voters go take a hike and vote for who ever you want because it won't hurt the landslide of Obama upcoming november.

GOD BLESS OBAMA AND ALL THE OTHER REAL AMERICANS WHO REALLY LOVE THE AMERICAN DREAM!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. I'm in Colorado

This guy is so totally clueless (like many of his supporters). I hope he gets his pants beat in November. He was "given" the Democratic nomination. I think he & his campagin people got their training from Karl Rove. WAITt, early in the primary season, didn't Karl Rove actually come out and say "I can show Barack Obama how to win this nomination". Hummmmmmm???????

July 9, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. Tanya

I'm so excited. I can't wait to see who they will pick. It will be an honor and a priveledge for anyone to be on the ticket.

The country is turning a corner and I love it.

Obama 08

P.S. I'm in the middle of "Dreams Of My Father". Barack is a good writer.

July 9, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

I hope he picks Gore... he brings experience to the VP position without all the evil of a Dick Cheney. I doubt that Gore will delete pages from CDC or EPA reports OR keep a man-size safe in his office...

While we're at it... how about making Edwards the AG, Hillary (and Bill)the SOS, and Gen. Clark chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A staff like this would really kick some booty.

July 9, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. Willam from Texas

If he chooses anyone other than Hillary, I will not vote for him. I won't vote republican, but I will write her name in as my choice for president.

July 9, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Arden

I think Sen. Obama needs some serious help during the last few days of this nightmare of a campaign. Joe Biden would be the best V.P. choice in my opinion. He has years of expertise , can handle a telepromter and Sen.Obama needs his support on the campaign trail. The sooner the better. Also, Sen.Biden is not afraid to take on John McCain.

July 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  18. Vig

Now I know what Obama's campaign logo reminds me of – the Pepsi logo – even his logo isn't original.

July 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. Lance

I think the VP should like the candidate, and Hillary does not like Barack, or his followers for that matter. She needs us now because she wants to be reimbursed for her millions, but she's a user.

Obama 08

July 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. Rick

Caroline Kennedy....lol............if nothing else, you democrats are amusing.

July 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. Pamela

Michelle should talk to Caroline about privacy and protecting her kids.

July 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. LET IT GO

Ryuken I guess your going to be voting Repubican this year because a Hillary ticket is just not going to Happen. LoL

July 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Hillary Backer for McCain

Im a PUMA and will work hard to turn New York State RED

Mack is back !

July 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. T GUY

TO RYUKEN.........WHO CARES IF YOU VOTE FOR MCCAIN, LIKE YOU CAN HOLD ANYONE HOSTAGE.

July 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  25. Will you post me this time?

I think that this election season is the biggest joke yet!.... what do these people know about picking a VP... or even a P? The other thing is, people talk about the PUMA... what about the Obama supporters who constantly, and continue to, bashed Clinton and McCain. I'm not a McCain supporter, but SHOW SOME RESPECT... I bet it's those "educated, but not MATURE" voters!... Go ahead, rock the vote!!!

July 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |