July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. Remloc

Anyone but Clinton!

The way she's torn the party asunder by not resigning until LONG after it was obvious she was the LOSER, continuing to rack up huge debt that now her, one of the richest women in America whines to have paid off for her, she has shown her true colors.

Then her supporters continue their silly shenanigans, probably after I post this and for months to come. Get over it people!!! She lost! She's a loser, she's always been a loser and she'll always be a loser!

She should never be elected anything higher than city dog catcher again!

I'm an ardent Obama supporter, but if he picks Clinton, I'm going 3rd party!

July 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Madison, WI

I'm surprised some Obama supporters are complaining about how Clinton supporters have behaved. I have been checking the "Ticker" since January and there were a lot of nasty comments coming from the Obama camp too. A lot more, I think, than from Clinton supporters.

I hope Obama wins. She would be a good VP. Some people need to get over their "13 year-old" mentality and realize that they would be an unbeatable team.

July 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  3. alone in VT

Is anyone else worried about all the carbon emissions these presidential candidates are generating from all this traveling around to campaign? Or is it just part of the “Save the environment” movement where it’s all talk and no action, or just environmental hypocritical hype where all the granola heads can’t see past their own nose?

Nobama is a chump……..

July 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

American's bad memories from the past 8 years do not eminate from Bush alone. Just check out the VP approval ratings. They are lower than Congress approval ratings.

Best choice for Obama's VP...
    someone as different from Cheney as he can find!
    A human would be nice.

July 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. Donald Young

Obama/Sinclair

July 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. Sick of Cry Babies

I think Hillary supporters should pick McCain, and go somewhere and sit down. Really, who cares about them? Pick McCain and pretend he will make a difference in your lives. His wife spends $750,000. dollars on a shopping spree. Yeah, they really know about the average American.

We have a nominee and we are completely satisfied with him. Go help your former candidate raise the money she needs to put back into her personal account, and leave the rest of us alone.

Obama 08

July 9, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. ProundToBeDemocrat

what is the obssesion with the V.P pick CNN why can't you wait until he makes a decision why do you care who Obama picks for his V.P. He will pick the right one if you people in media where smart as you claim to be why are't you guys running for president all you want to do is gossip about people who are trying to make a difference. I hate Media people. The sad part is this people get paid a lot of money for gossiping.

July 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Eric - DE

There are better candidates than Hillary. He needs someone who can give him a boost in foreign policy and National security issues. I think Biden, Richardson, Nunn, or Bayh would all be better choices.

I personally liked Richardson since the begining of the primaries, unfortunatly vs a Clinton and Obama's sudden skyrocketting popularity he didn't have much of a chance.

Neither Obama or Hillary were my ideal candidates, but I'll vote for either one of them before i willingly endure a McCain term

July 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. david

I dont care who he picks..
    but im confident he will still win

BOO MCCAIN!

Obama '08

July 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. twister49 - oklahoma

SKY SAYS:
    July 9th, 2008 12:15 pm ET

I am just hopeful he is not picking Hillary. The way some of her supporters have behaved has really turned me off to that.

YOu say the way that Clinton supporters have behaved. What about the nasty/bitterness of the Obama supporters? YOu guys are the most hatful people out there...

July 9, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. Cynthia

I hope that he picks the best person for the VP position and not succumb to pressure from Hilliary Clinton or her supporters. They have to realize that he won the nomination and get on board of miss out. If by some chance John McCain wins then they will have to suffer along with the rest of us. If Hilliary Clinton had won the nomination I'm sure Obama supporters would have got on board without hesitation, so do the right thing.

July 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Steve

Sky I completely agree but I would say the obama supporters are the ones who have acted like babies.

July 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Former HC Girl

He's looking to see if they have any more stooges for him. Seems like everyone is dropping off the list. They don't want to be connected to what will be the biggest loser of the millenium.
    McCain 08
    PUMA-PAC

July 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. eric

Stalwart Hillary supporters are so absolutely nuts they'd call Obama picking Hillary as simply pandering and still not vote for him. Even if Obama did pick her as VP and they won, they'd probably push for some kind of coup to get Hillary in power simply because she is a woman. They have no problem whatsoever with blatant racism but become intransigent fools when Fox News acts typically Republican and says sexist stuff. These people would cut their own heads off to cure a headache and have no bearing on reality. I'm perfectly happy with them leaving my party.

July 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  15. J Kay - KCMO

Noooooooo Hillary..............................

July 9, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. Real person for Obama.

People you wants to choose who Obama pick, please let him make his choice.

lots of Mccain bloggers want to start fight among demoract again.

let him pick whoever he wants. We can't have only senator running for white house and have senators running as their running mates.

Mix is good, let him find a governor or a military person be his running mate.

Thank you i hope you understand.

God bless you.

Peter.

July 9, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. amt,Fresno,CA

Just say "NO" to Hillary Clinton.

July 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This has got to be a tough choice for Obama because all those on the VP list are excellent choices. Can we gave more than one VP, that would be great.

July 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Connie

The American people need to realize the whole world does not revolve around each of us.I do not care who Obama picks as his running mate.We can not afford another four years of the Bush administration.To all of you women who are not voting for Obama and voting for McBush, I for one do not want to see any of you crying when McBush takes away rights for you, your daughters and granddaughters. I am an old white women who does not have long on this earth, but I hate to see McBush deciding what is right for women. If you are going to vote for McBush or stay home who really cares. Barack Hussein Obama 08

Connie"Hussein"Sturgeon from Indiana

July 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Sam

I hope it's Hillary for his sake. No Hillary, and my vote will not be cast.

July 9, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Jennifer

If he takes Hillary it will bring the worse out of both. Hillary will take over and pretend and present to be the president after all!
    The Hillary supporters aren't real. They still don't understand that
    she blamed herself in front of the whole world. Good luck Obama!

July 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Jimmy P - Chicago

Plain & simple, you people that endorse this mouth piece are fools! Look at his cast of characters.

July 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. proud army and navy mom

Did the senator drink some water and watch tv too. tell me, what color was his tie and shoes, I really need to know!

Why oh why is it so important that every darn step the man takes, cnn feels the need to put it on the ticker.

How about listing the names of the latest soliders that were injured and killed just yesterday. how about following Cheney around to make sure he's not causing unrepairable chaos.

I want Sen Obama to be our next president, but you in the press have went from the sublime to the ridiculous!

July 9, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. Ray

I honestly don't understand the PUMA folks who say they will vote for McCain. Voting for McCain is voting against everything Hillary stands for. It makes no sense whatsoever.

July 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. Hillary or else

If Senator Clinton is not chosen as VP then we all sincerely hope for a quick November election where Obama will lose and then go into the archives of history as a blip on the screen with the only comments being:

"Small time Chicago politician tries to finagle his way into office with little to no experience"

This will be followed by volumes of comments on Senator Clinton's win in 2012 and 2016 and the monumental good works she will do for America. Ahhhh, yes...Justice!

July 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |