July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

As Long As He Doesnt Choose Hillary Then He Will Win The White House! Hillary Has More Dirty Baggage Than Obama Can Carry! I Hope He Chooses Sebelius! She Is A Much Better Choice Than Hillary! She Would Make A Better President Than Hillary! Hillary Is A Liar! She Would Bring Too Much Dirt Into The White House!

July 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. No Hillary

Obama should only choose Hillary if he plans to employ a ful-time food taster. No one should be the "one heartbeat away" between Hillary and the presidency.

Obama should choose ED RENDELL.

July 9, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. Nick - Arlington, VA

Ryuken July 9th, 2008 12:13 pm ET

If he doesn't pick Hillary I vote McCain – simple as that. I have never voted for Republican in my life, but I will!
    ----------------------------------–
    Pick up your ball and go home huh? The VP spot will not be bullied by Hillary Clinton supporters, seems like the only Clinton Supporter not trying to bully her on to the ticket is Hillary herself. This is Obama's decision and threatening to vote McCain if you people don't get your way is childish and ignorant as McCain holds nothing in common with Hillary Clinton.

July 9, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  4. Watermann

5 of eleven against HRC, 2 in favour of her. So, Clinton opponents win at this point of time 5:2

July 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  5. Patrick Henry

You know in the old days we selected candidates for VP based on their overall qualifications, leadership accumen, and demonstrated performance under pressure.

Today–it's about complimentary race/gender, handsomeness, speaking skills, following, public acceptance, most complimentary wardrobe......

We need leaders–not movie stars.

July 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Lisa

Let's not forget Obama is only the Presumptive.

July 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. GO AWAY!!!!!

TO -If Ryukenhe doesn't pick Hillary I vote McCain – simple as that. I have never voted for Republican in my life, but I will!........Take your TOYS with YOU!!!!

July 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. Obama 4 America

Obama should pick Caroline Kennedy for VP...

Obama/Caroline '08/12

July 9, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. silas

guys if he picks hilary- good, if he chooses anyother person, then better

July 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. Jan, Knoxville, TN

I hope Obama will pick my first choice of John Edwards or my second choice of Joe Biden. Either of them would be great on the ticket! John Edwards has a deep concern for the poor and Joe Biden has an intricate knowledge of foreign affairs.

OBAMA 08 from a Yellow Dog Democrat in Knoxville, TN!

July 9, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  11. oil rules

Are they 'working' for him? I know he thought they were not before, how did he find them? Go Obama!

July 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. dennis from chicago

the iraq war has slowed down are they waiting for king barack hussein o bama...... i find this slow down odd are they afraid of mc cain and his iraq stragedy....

July 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  13. Jay

Hillary or he will Lose.

July 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

I Have Only Donated Two Hundred Dollars For Obamas Campaign But Im Not Giving One More Penny Until Im Sure Hillary Is Not On The Ticket! Im Not Paying Down The Debt Of Such An Irresponsible Person! She Knew It Was Impossible To Overcome Obama And Yet She Still Spent All Of That Money In Places Like Puerto Rico Trying To Say She Has The Popular Vote!

July 9, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Sue

Caroline Kennedy for Veep!!!

July 9, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

HE WILL WIN AS LONG AS HE DOESNT CHOOSE LIARY CLINTON!

July 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Truely a Democrat

I don't care who he chooses. All I want is a democrat in the White House. A senseless war must come to an end.

Obama 08

July 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. Doris,Memphis,TN

Obama must pick John Edwards as his VP.
    Joe Biden Secretary of State.

July 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. Brandon Hillary PUMA for Mc Cain-Pa

Vice President Hillary or President Mc Cain, I would not even consider a vote for him unless she is on the ticket and even then its still 50/50 if he gets my vote or not.

We will remember come november...... Puma over a million strong and growing in membership.

July 9, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. Steve T. NY

With all due respect, any Democrat, especially a woman, should NOT be voting for McCain. There will be one or two Supreme Court Appointments over the next four years. Do you want your reproductive rights or those of your daughters to be taken away by "conservative" judges? Do you want equal work/equal pay to become a slogan again, instead of FACT? Women's advances in this country have been because of the Democrats and like minded centerists and liberals. Your rights, and the rights of everyone else in this country ( doing away with Habias Corpis, Wire tapping, etc.) are at stake!!

Personally I feel that the only reason a democrat would willingly vote for McCain is because they are Bigots and wouldn't elect a black man President. Just for the record, I am Italian and supporting Obama completely. We need to get this economy back in shape, gas prices down, and our republic restored for all of us. Just remember, if you vote for McCain and are a Democrat, I can only conclude that you are a racist.

July 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Joan

Well, well, well.....so Obama is dropping in the polls, and even his supporters are using his website to complain about his ever changing positions on major, baseline issues. Gosh, who would have ever thought this would happen? After all, Obama was so well known.....his positions on major issues were so clearly vetted. How could this be happening????

Clinton certainly shouldn't try to salvage his candidacy by agreeing to run as his VP. After all, Clinton's primary run earned her ever increasing support as it progressed through the states. She's poised for future victories.

Was I one of the few who noticed Obama's support decline over the last few months of the primary? Why didn't the media pick up on the fact that the more the electorate knew about Obama, the less they wanted to vote for him? Wasn't that fact a predictor of what the presumptive democrat nominee is experiencing now?

July 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Len in Washington

Two things here...
    1. This is news? What's next....."Obama Makes Quick Trip into Safeway?"
    2. To "Ryuken" and "PICKHILL08": Hillary would NOT be the best choice. If you decide on that factor alone to vote for McCain then so be it. In the mean time, stop with the threats. They're pointless.

July 9, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. JDM

The lost of Jim Webb was a shocker????!
    AUG is the magic time for a VP call.
    He will do it at the same time as Mcain and the RNC have their big day.
    This will step on their news story line for that day.
    Got to luv the game!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  24. Obama fan

why is my comment still waiting moderation when those AFTER mine are not? What is the logic used? I'd like to know so I can follow your guidelines but I see 1) off-topic posts; 2) rude and ranting posts and 3) obvious comments on comments posting

What criteria do you use?

You can contact me directly if preferable – I'd just like an answer.

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Delores Hartley

Hillary people needs to get over it!!!. I love Obama and if he would have lost I would vote for Hillary. "Now you are trying to controll".

Just get over it and stope complainting. Let's will.

Go OBAMA!!!!!