July 9th, 2008

Obama makes stop at VP vetter's office

Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.
Holder, right, and Caroline Kennedy are heading up Obama's VP search.

(CNN) - Barack Obama made a surprise stop Wednesday morning at the Washington, DC law firm of his top VP vetter, Eric Holder.

Campaign aides declined to say exactly why the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee made the unscheduled stop, including whether Obama was specifically meeting with Holder.

Holder, a former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, is currently an attorney at the law firm of Covington and Burling. He serves as a legal adviser to Obama, and was tapped by the campaign last month to help steer the Illinois senator's search for a running mate.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's VP list?

David Axelrod, one of Obama's top political advisers, accompanied the presidential candidate into the office.

Obama and Axelrod were in the building for a little more than an hour.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Eric Holder
  1. A Real Democrat Votes Issues

If he picks Clinton, I don't think I could vote Obama. SHE has single-handedly try to break apart the party in hopes of running in 2012, and I for one am not playing into her hand. He could do better than her, I don't know who she or anyone who claims to still be a "supporter" of hers (you DO realize the primary is over, right?) thinks they are going to hold this party hostage, they have another thing coming.

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  2. hate drove us away

For those Obama supporters who constantly blog how they can't understand WHY the HRC supporters will not now switch over to Obama.

Let me explain:
    What IF we were to say of Obama: ANYbody before the bro and his ho? or use the N- word in speaking of him?

How would YOU all like that? How would you respond to that kind of hateful, crude disrespect?

Well, we Hillary supporters did not much care for the filthy vulgar crude comments made against Hillary and her supporters and we were appalled by the blatent disrespectful treatment shown to Hillary.

THAT is why the HRC supporters are NOT getting on the Obama bandwagon. We did not care for the trash talk against Hillary and her supporters that we were subjected to for endless months. Add that to the WAY that Obama strong-armed his way into the nomination- and you have your answer.

PROUD PUMA PAC-er

Hate against fellow Americans and fellow democrats will backfire on you and have the opposite effect.

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. someone

Ryuken reminds me that John Stewart said it best, "McCain has a lock on the spite vote." That may not be an exact quote but it's close. Gotta love when people vote based on spite rather than principles. God bless America!

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. MsSapphire, Little Rock

This campaign season, the primaries, and this blog in particular, has shown me something I didn't fully expect.

Some Americans can be so stupid, mean, nasty and racist. Some of your lives are filled with hatred and comptempt. I will lift you up in prayer so that some of you can know true peace. It is only when you are at peace with yourselves, that you can be at peace with others. I feel sorry for the ones who behave so badly and speak with such vile, rude disrespect and disregard for a fellow human being, even if it is not your candidate of choice.

Life is way too short, and there are things far more important. This message includes the unprofessional media anchors as well. CNN has sunk to a new low, especially Campbell Brown......she really needs to check herself.

Obama Supporter
    Democrat

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

sheesh, the guy cant go anywhere without the media trying to turn it into some kind of news!

not to hillary, but yes to a woman-sebalius, the senator from MO (i think it is), caroline kennedy...

July 9, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. STILL VOTING FOR HILARY!

I have to laugh everytime I see Kennedy involved in this whole process. No offense to her personally, but she is not an elected offical and the last time I ever saw her involved in anything political was the pic of her in white house during her fathers administration. I am the same age, as caroline, I was sad , about kennedys death, but I was 7. So was she. Shes done alot for charity and is prob a great mom too. But why is she involved in this process? I hope they dont pic Hilary, cause she is too active and has too much to offer the country than to be VP. Shes a policy maker, shes a doer not a talker! She needs to set policy, and put this country on the right path. I am still writing her name in. All you Hilary haters come attack me now. I am not voting for Mccain, unless Obama does something else really bad. But I can not vote for him. He is just too incompetent. A second Bush we dont need. Its not sour grapes people, stop saying it is. It is about qualifications for this job. Qualifications he just dosent have. If HC came to my home personally and asked me to vote for him, I would tell her NO. Hillary can campain till she drops, but it isnt going to make Obama a better candidate. I am tired of voting for whoever the better of the two evils are. Not this time. I will vote HC shes the best person for the job! PERIOD...

July 9, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Emma, San Jose, CA

If Hillary on the ticket helps Obama win the GE, I don't object to it. The down side is that she should be in a position that carries more responsibility than VP. And then there is Bill....

July 9, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. A. Boston, MA

Why wont CNN let us comment on "Clinton donors hesitant to show love for Obama"? It seems that every time there's something negative directed in Obama's direction CNN won't let you comment.

I'll get my comment through anyway.
    Screw Clinton supporters! They're hateful, unpatriotic, sheep.
    Let em sink with the USS HRC! What she's neglecting to do is evil.

In my opinion she hasn't done enough to bring unity to this party. She needs to emphasize that switching to McBush would destroy this nation. Where's that tough attitude that I saw in the primaries?
    Now that it's not about her she's all nonchalant. What a way to thank her voters who are all lost............

OBAMA 08

July 9, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. MsSapphire, Little Rock

*correction*
    contempt

July 9, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  10. Obama stole the nomination

Tough spot for the Obama- must choose between His BIG ego- and refuse to pick Hill for VP.... or choose his LUST for power and the white house and pick Hillary for VP.

July 9, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. EMJ

Wahh, Wahh. My candidate did not get the nomination and I am a big fat immature baby so I am threatening my own party to vote against everything I believe in and vote Republican. Wahh, Wahh, I'm a spiteful little person who wasn't turned off by all the lies, word twisting, and kitchen sinks I saw and just don't get it that those negative tactics are what made my candidate lose. Wahh, Wahh, I'm mad because Obama may pick a candidate strong on national security and not my candidate.

July 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. dh

What makes these VP Vetters experts in selecting a VP? Caroline Kennedy is just there representing Ted Kennedy wishes. So much for new Change!!!

Without Hillary on the ticket, party leaders are really taking a risk that McCain could win in the fall. I am just amazed that they cannot see the advantages that Hillary brings to the ticket. The people want Hillary on the ticket. The only ones that don't are the DNC party leaders and superdelegates that supported Obama.

July 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

the other post about iran is FRIGHTENING!!!!!

and people STILL believe bush has made us safer?!?!?! well, there is a sucker born every minute!

and we of course know born-and-bred mcWARS reaction; maybe this time mcWAR'll have bushy do a tap dance to his little BOMB IRAN ditty-not so funny now, is it folks!!!

a vote mcwar is a vote for the U.S. getting bombed by iran!!!! aka, a STUPID vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. EVERYONE PLEASE LISTEN UP

You people complain about the way Hillary supporters have behaved but Obama supporters have behaved 100 times worse. The fact is he cannot win without her, my friends. It's that simple!

July 9, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. georgia

No Hillary (with her angry sore-loser vigilantes )!!!!!
    BILLARY CAN NOT BE TRUSTED !!!

July 9, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. Jo

If he wants to win, he will pick Hillary Clinton. If he does not pick her, everyone else will be viewed as a second choice. Nobody else generates any enthusiasm unless they are standing next to the candidate. She can fill arenas on her own. She gives a good speech and she is a proven fighter. She has proven her loyalty continuously to her country, her party, her state and her marriage. If Clinton pledges her loyalty to the ticket then you can count on it.

Now that Obama is pulling away from such issues as choice, Nafta, and Iraq, He really needs someone that people know will stand up and be counted. Hillary Clinton has the fortitude and committment to stand for the issues that Obama says he wants to implement. He needs her image of strength to make people more comfortable in supporting him.

And also, Hillary Clinton should be allowed to put her name in nomination at the convention and there should be a roll call vote. Both sets of delegates worked very hard to get to Denver and they should be allowed to vote. It also makes for fun TV for us political junkies who will be the only ones watching anyway.

July 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Biff, Hussein Biffington

Has anyone noticed the coordinated and tireless effort to LABEL Obama? I have seen this movie before. State the lie... repeat it, and repeat it, and repeat it, and repeat it, and THEN have others repeat it, and repeat it and FREAKING REPEAT IT!!!

WHEN YOU CAN'T RUN ON YOUR RECORD

WHEN YOU CAN RUN ON THE ISSUES

TEAR THE OTHER GUY DOWN

are you REALLY going to fall for this garbage AGAIN, America.... REALLY????? (flip-flopper, my arse!)

July 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. EVERYONE PLEASE LISTEN UP

During the 2004 general election Senator Kerry Chose Senator Edwards as VP on July 6th. Since today is July 9th, a decision could come any day now. If Hillary is NOT on the ticket, I will vote for McCain and NOT Obama.

July 9, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. Larry Sinclair

Why are so many of Obama's potential VP's dropping out?

July 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. Bendo

yes, any true Dem will vote for a Dem no matter who is VP, but I hope he picks Nunn and take GA away from the repubs.

July 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. Sarge in Florida

to just the facts.....People don't want to know the facts...Like Tom Cruise said " You can't handle the truth" So true that many American IDIOTS can't. Just like today when the Senate voted to not punish the TELCOM companies for ILLEGAL WIRE TAPPINGS. Over 3/4 of the Senators NEVER READ THE BILL. So that have no idea in what the bill is....I think it's time to put TERM LIMITS on the House and Senate..Seems like most of them are senile......They should be put to rest at SHADY PINES.....For some of you who don't know what it is, it was a place that Sophia was placed in from her daughter Dorothy on the GOLDEN GIRLS...LMAO

July 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. saga4obama

other post closed but i thought i would share this with you:

Speaking in a video on the site, a smiling Sen. McCain says, "My friends, in these trying times in which we live, there's one thing all Americans can agree on: killing Iranians is hilarious"- John McCain.

since the Military already says we are short in personnel, we are currently fighting two fronts, what are we going to do when McCain takes us to war with Iran? do i feel a DRAFT?

July 9, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. debra

The polls are showing Obama ahead of McCain but just barely. Obama needs someone for VP that can pull in more than just a few local votes. With as unpopular as Bush is this year, McCain shouldn't be polling as high as he is. Or Obama is not pulling in the quantity of votes the Dems were hoping for. Obama is in trouble if can't pull in more votes than what he has so far.

July 9, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. Jeremy

Let's be honest....he's not going to pick Hillary. For all of you who are threatening to vote for McCain if Hillary is not on the ballot, you have obviously supported Hillary for the wrong reasons. If you agreed with her stances on the issues, Obama would obviously be a satisfactory second choice. So you are not voting on the issues, you are either voting on racism or emotion, both of which are just plane silly. Do you think we care about your twenty votes? Do you think that you can hold this over the democratic party and get them to manipulate Obama into picking Hillary? Well you can't... No One Cares!!! It's time for you guys to grow up and start acting like you're old enough to vote.

July 9, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  25. aware

So what? His VP is of no consequence.

The politically expedient, arrogant, obfuscating Obama will say or do anything to win. He even uses his young daughters. :(

This two-faced guy is not a leader and is certainly not fit to be president of the USA. He has no moral center and blows with the wind of the moment!

Who is he, and what would he do as president? You can look at his slim past record and his floundering present performance.

July 9, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |