July 9th, 2008

Obama regrets interview with daughters

The Obama family marched in a July 4 parade in Montana.
The Obama family marched in a July 4 parade in Montana.

(CNN) - Days after Barack Obama granted the first television interview with his entire family, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said he regrets thrusting his two young daughters in the media spotlight.

"I think that we got carried away in the moment," Obama told NBC Wednesday morning. "We were having a birthday party and everybody was laughing, and suddenly this thing cropped up, and I didn't catch it quickly enough and I was surprised by the attention it got."

The comments came five days after the Illinois senator allowed Access Hollywood reporter Maria Menounos a sit-down interview with his entire family, including daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha 7. The television show, which aired the interview Tuesday, billed it as the first interview with the whole Obama family.

The interview remained decidedly light - Malia commented on seeing her mother in People Magazine while Sasha discussed her father's aversion to sweets - but it was highly played across several news programs, including many on CNN. (Earlier: Obama family talks campaign life)

Watch: Are Obama's kids off limits?

Also appearing on ABC Wednesday morning, Obama said he didn't think it was healthy for his two daughters to be so exposed.

"Particularly given the way it sort of went around the cable stations, I don't think it's healthy and it's something that we'll be avoiding in the future," he said.

Full story

Watch: Obama family interviewed on Access Hollywood

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. checkthisout

JUDGEMENT you can believe in, indeed!!!!!!!
    Out of Iraq in 16 months, my foot !!!!!
    Ban the hand Guns, my foot !!!
    Learn Spanish, my foot !!!

July 9, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. JR

Obama is either a "talk now, think later" type of guy, or an egomaniac. I doubt if he was as upset about the interview as he acts. He loves having the limelight. Sorry, but I don't want him in the White House. "Oops, is that missile aimed at Russia or the test range? I was just showing off. I didn't mean to hit the button"

July 9, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. Matt: honestly

Haha all you Obama haters hate for such petty reasons. Oh his supporters on the blogs pick on me. Oh Rev Wright, oh someone helped him buy a house. His middle name is Hussein. Oh he presents no solutions. GO TO HIS WEBSITE!! IT IS ALL THERE!!! LOOK AT THE FACTS AND WHERE HE STANDS COMPARED TO MCCAIN!!! I hope all you still for Hill supporters are ready for the days of rusty coat hanger abortions, and a war with Iran.

July 9, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. Larry D from OKC

If only George Bush and Dick Chaney had of second guess themselves before invading Iraq.

July 9, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. Stephen H

To: Still For Hill

Give it a rest will you! Obama admits that exposing his daughters in this setting is not what he wants in the future so lets leave it at that. You're just a Hill-hypocrit is what you are. Where were you and the PUMAs when Hillary sincerely asked for help in paying down her campaign debt? How does your current attitude and you stated voted plans at all honor what Hillary stands for? You're just a Hill-hypocrit. The notion that Obama or his campaign should be made to suffer or be punished for the sexism in the media is not only ridiculous, but it patently unfair. What it also shows it that you were never for Hillary or what she stands for in the first place. You just did not like Obama and thats why you were supporting her. People like you and the PUMAs could care less about Hillary or you would do as she's doing everything we can to get Obama elected.

No one is saying you have to like Obama or that you have to vote for him. I just do not understand why you and the PUMAs feel the need to go out of your way to sabotage Obama's chances at winning in November. We get it already, you are not going to vote for him. But why go out of you way to sabotage him? Quit being a Hill-hypocrit with your divisive rhetoric and do something more constructive with your time.

Obama '08

July 9, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. Praying for America

Are the people that write on this blog grown ups. I don't believe they are this sounds more like children. I going to vote for McCain see ya back in 2012. What will the world be like in 2012? Tomorrow is not even promised so what if 2012 never comes? You are going to wait until 2012 and vote for Hillary what if she is not there to vote for what will you do then. You all are planning your life around one person I am so sorry for you all.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

July 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Ken

the original report was that people worked hard to get this interview, and it was originally just Obama and Michelle the nthe girls just waltz in and kind of takin over, I personally appreciated the glimpse inside the family but he is being analyzed by everyone from political analyst to right wing media, it was his daughters b-day now it's a spectical, I can understand the regret.

July 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. Sure Bud

Anything for a possible vote. How many more things are you going to regret, Obama? We disillusioned voters are filled with plenty of regret as well.

Your armor is shrinking! Like most other rock stars, you will fall.

July 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Concezione Catanzaro

...someday, you'll be ready to be king...BUT NOT NOW OBAMA!!!
    I'll be voting McCain, that is a hero and our next president!!!

July 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. Jessie, Maryland - EX MARINE PROUD OF USA

DON'T GUESS IT OBAMA- THINK BEFORE YOU ACT,SAY OR DO...WORDS ARE LIKE SEEDS, THEY GROW IN THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF EVERY LISTENER, AND OUT OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKS.......YOUR WORDS ARE POWERFUL , AND CLEAR. KEEP THEM THAT WAY....GOOD WORDS GROW TALLER THAN BAD WEEDS....AND, THAT'S "CHANGE I CAN BELIEVE IN" OBAMA 2008 YOUR WORDS MUST BE FULL OF TRUTH !!! AND YOUR DAUGHTERS REFLECT WHAT HAS BEEN SEEDED INTO THEIR HEARTS.....

July 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  11. Chuck

There he goes playing both sides of the fence again.

Of course he knew what he was doing, garnering votes and sympathy from the "family" demographic. Now he want's the "protect the children" demographic too.

His handlers sure know how to play the game!!! And we all thought this was a NEW form of politics!!! HA HA.

PUMA!!!

July 9, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. Kyle Indianapolis, Indiana

I thought it was a cute interview – I love the Obama family. People need to get over themselves, the Obama family is one to admire

July 9, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. Joe the Troll

Once again, the idea of having a President who can actually look at situations as they unfold and modify his ideas accordingly is refreshingly different. McCain changes his mind a lot, but only in response to polls. We need a President who can think, not one that lets the GOP do his thinking for him.

July 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. Election Watcher

So now Obama is flipping a flop on his media spin?
    Give me a break!
    Nobama '08

July 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. Anita, Virgin islands

Haters give it a rest. I saw the interview and I found his older daughter to be quite ariticule. I agree with his decision not to do it again in the future–and certainly don't hold his original decision against him.

Go Obama 08

July 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. sebs112

There is nothing wrong with regretting your actions. Everyone has at least one regret in their life (love, job, INVESTMENTS, purchase). I think we should be worried if Obama doesn't reevaluate his positions...like Dubya.

If GWB would have regretted or even second guessed some of his stupid mistakes, perhaps we wouldn't be in such a mess.

July 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. CONCERNED!!!!!

margo --Everything Obama is doing is scared. He has socialist tendencies that are not compatible with this country. Obama is not to be trusted...............TRUST IN GOD!!!........THE question is not only Where do we stand.....BUT also Where are WE headed????

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. TJS in MN

The interview was fine and far from "hard-hitting", but what did he THINK was gonna happen.

Get over it. It was Access Hollywood with Maria Menounos. She is hardly a cutting edge political reporter. It's not like they were drilled by Wolf Blitzer or Sean Hannity...

All that said...

McCAIN IN '08!!

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. Jackie - NYC

I thought the interview was very nice. The girls are very cute. He has a very nice family and it was nice to see them together like that. But I understand why he is regretting it. The interview has been shown on every network all over the place and there are probably alot of nasty comments being made on certain networks (I don't watch those networks so I don't know what they are saying). He probably wasn't prepared for the craziness that followed the airing of the interview. I understand that.

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Darrell

For those who want to scrutinize Obama for this, your lives are very maundane at best. To even attempt to criticize him for something like this is ridiculous. Soldiers are dying over there and the presumptive republican candidate is threatening to keep this Iraq thing going for more years than we know is prudent. And your answer to this is to politically nitpick Obama for showing his kids on television? Let's count the mistakes of George W. as it pertains to deaths of soldiers for no real reason and the mistake that will be made by McCain when, if he wins, he doesn't fix this war travesty. The fact that he had his kids on tv pales in comparison to the real issues at hand. This issue is trivial garbage and you know it!

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. T.D.T. Supports Change!

The family looked beautiful!!!!!!! Have no regrets!!!

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. princessdee

His daughters are so beautiful,It was refeshing to watch.

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. Ready for a new day

STILL FOR HILL

If you are seriously considering a vote for McCain, I can't see how you can also think about coming back. Either you are for the party of all the people or you are not. I believe party for all the people is still in your blood. Why don't you just stay and vote with that party. As an Obama supporter, I would have felt the same if Obama did not get the nomination but I still would have voted for Hillary as the nominee. Please get over the emotion and vote for our future.

July 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. Constance

People make mistakes ... that is what it is to be human; even when you are Commander in Chief. The real test is how you deal with your mistakes.

And Margo, Obama isn't a 'socialist' ... all he's saying is let's spend our taxes on the people of this country, the people who pay the taxes and make America what it is, rather than on an unending relentless war. It's all a matter of how we want to use our resources. Taking care of my fellow human being, keeping our roads, bridges, and public spaces repaired and working well is exactly what I want my taxes to do. What else is there?

July 9, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. obama rocks

still for hill we do not need your cheap vote,obama will win anyway.

July 9, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |