July 10th, 2008

Jackson says Obama comments not about envy

CNN

Watch Jackson explain his comments on CNN.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Thursday denied allegations that his disparaging remarks about Sen. Barack Obama stemmed from envy.

"That's kind of ridiculous. He's running the last lap of a 54-year marathon. He is running that race. I am a part of that race," Jackson said on CNN's "American Morning," referring to the modern civil rights struggle. Jackson ran for president on the Democratic ticket in 1984 and 1988.

On Wednesday, he apologized for the "crude and hurtful remarks" he made about Obama following an interview Sunday with a Fox News correspondent.

Full story

1. independent

i remember him once commenting that even animals take better care of their offspring

July 10, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Can we say JEALOUS, because Sen. Obama got a lot futher than him in his presendial run. Another thing Sen Obama was talking about family values and how men/fathers need to step up to the plate if Jesse had taken on that role maybe he would not have fell into another womans bed and inpregnated her while married with your old behind you should be ashame of yourself, you use to be a powerful leader now no one listens to you,

From a Black Woman
    Obama 08

July 10, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Glad to be an Independent

Jesse Jackson represents an old Civil Rights era black politician. He reminds me of an athlete that is washed up but will not leave the playing field. I does not represent my interests and never has. I always looked at his as one who represented himself. There are some issues in the black community that have little to do with the government and little to do with white people. There is a segment of black people that have where there has been fatherless families and woman having to depend on welfare. There is a segment of the black community that have been involved in allot of crime and drug use. I am young black professional that graduated from college in 2004 and had to work very hard. I had to work construction jobs and other jobs to put myself through college and still managed to earn the Dean's List and Honor Society. No one gave me anything. I did not come from a family with much money. I am married now, fortunate enough to buy a house and hopefully I will have my first child soon. There are no excuses for crime and fatherless families. Sure there is still racism and discrimination. I have had to deal with some of that, BUT some in the black community need to stop blaming other people for some in our communities personal failings.

July 10, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Julian, MN

Dear Just Wondering:

Al Sharpton has already spoken out, and said it was an unfortunate incident. He also said that Jesse supports Barack. I hope we can move on from this.

Obama 08

July 10, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Derrick in Houston

I cannot say whether or not his bitter comments were made because of envy, and frankly I do not care. I am an African American male and I am appaulled that he would tear down another black man for the sake...what? Cut his nutts off?? Are you serious? And Jesse is suppose to be a SUPPORTED of Barack? And I just have to wonder..if someone white would have said it, Jesse and his crew (Al Sharpton, Quanell X) would have had a field day with this. Where is Rev Al on this matter? He should be OUTRAGED. oh I forgot, its only offensive if someone white says it...

Obama has tore down a barrier that Jesse and Rev Al have both tried to do and was unsuccessful. And because everything out Obamas mouth is not for black people, about black, or not "acting black" then hes outcasted and talked bout. Guess what, BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE IN AMERICA! They should be uplifting their BROTHER and downing him. And the only reason Jesse is sorry is because he got caught

I guess you should keep your friends close and your enemies even closer...

July 10, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. John

To Mitchell

LET IT BE KNOWN HE DOESNT STAND FOR ALL AMERICANS, HE WANTS TO TAKE HALF OF MY PAY CHECK WHICH IN TURN MEANS I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD MY MORTGAGE.

AND I AM SURE THE GOVERNMENT WILL NOT HELP THE "WEALTHY" WITH A MORTGAGE CRISIS SINCE WE ARE ALL SUPPOSE TO ONLY AFFORD WHAT THE POOREST AMERICAN MAKES.

GOT TO LOVE SOCIALISM

July 10, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Sweetie

Obama is not a viable candidate.

He has been constantly showing his contempt for American people.

He lost the Rural White vote with his "Bitter" comment.

And now he has "talked down" to Blacks that he thinks need to improve themselves in order to get by in the world.

And he has alienated the Far Left wing that "Selected" him by flip flopping to the Moderates.

What a Joke!

Who's left to insult?

McCain 08

July 10, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. P. Morrison

As a white woman, over 60, I support Barack Obama because I do not see his message aimed only at Africa Americans-I see it as a message to ALL Americans. It is sad to be made aware of the racial prejudice that still exists in our country. As a Southerner I am particularly sensitive as so many people from other parts of the country seem to believe that all Southerners are racists. My God sees no skin color-why should I?

OBAMA/BIDEN

July 10, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. Lim

It is no surprising that many African Americans are annoyed – not
    envied – at Obama. Afterall, here's a guy who is the first generation
    born in 1961 of a mixed marriage whose father was from Kenya.

Obama's racial identity in America is nothing compared to that of
    the vast majority of African-Americans who are descendants of
    American slaves. For Obama to exploit race and then lecturing
    the black community is fraud and insulting.

July 10, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. INDEPENDENT WHITE WOMAN for OBAMA

WallyWutMD ..... This will show people who are outside of the AA Community that there is a very distinct difference between Barack Obama and self appointed AA leaders like, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangle, Andrew Young, and Bob Johnson. These clowns have been poisoning the Black Community from the inside out for decades, pushing everybody to the back so that they can remain out in front. They are hand selected puppets for people like Bill and Hillary Clinton, who are used to appease Black people with one hand while stealing their dignity with the other. Barack is cut straight out of a different cloth...........DITTO!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08/2012