July 10th, 2008

McCain campaign: Republicans have double Democratic cash

The McCain campaign says it has $95 million cash-on-hand.
The McCain campaign says it has $95 million cash-on-hand.

(CNN) - On a conference call with reporters, the McCain campaign said it has $95 million cash-on-hand, with most of that money - about $67 million - held by the Republican National Committee. Campaign manager Rick Davis also said McCain was outspending Barack Obama on the airwaves by a wide margin.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. MD FOR OBAMA

To Tejano:

This is not your country. All of the Hispanics on this post are for McShame. Why is that?

July 10, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. Grad Student in the US from India

There we go...

I am not even American and I want to see a Dem in the White House. USA is a very powerful country and what happens in the US directly affects the rest of the world.

It is my belief that Obama would be the right choice for this term. I am going to find out if non-citizens can contribute to campaigns and if yes, I will donate my $50 to Obama.

However, I must state that I have seen a tinge of inexperience and flipping in Barack Obama. But given the state of affairs he is the better candidate.

July 10, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. mitchell martin

is this an attempt to persuade voters to vote for you,because you managed to raise funds stolen from the american people,because of your unfair economic policies,of the last 8 years?you stole americas future wealth by putting our children in debt for the next 20 to 40 years.now you want our votes?hahahahaha!this country will soon be run by the people ,again,and your corporate donors and wealthy oil companies,are gonna start paying all that money back,with the taxes that are gonna be placed on those making $250,000+.the 5% wealthiest will not get away with this,anymore.

July 10, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Nick

Of course this is the case. This election is unique because is such an odd republican candidate, while Obama is the architype democratic candidate. There is more money on the dems side being given right to Obama's campaign, while republicans are giving to the RNC. My guess is these figures are just for McCain to show off. The RNC will most likely concentrate thier money on congressional and senate raises to try to limit the damage they will face in november. Over the long haul Obama will vastly outspend McCain. We must remember that this is still the primary period, Obama stands to continue building on his mountain when his donors get a new 2300 max for the general.

July 10, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. LA

The McBushes out spend and then tell America its in a mental recession and to stop whining!!!!!!!!!!!Old, Out of touch, Rich folks-–The reason America hates Republicans!

July 10, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Robert

As a life long democrat, for once I am glad that the repugs have cash because I don't trust Obama and would much prefer a split government than a Obama president.

July 10, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. jt

Stop calling him grandPa.

Some people might start calling Obama little boy. People might get mad.

McCain 08.

July 10, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Raymond Duke

Where do you think Obama got most of his money. I bet the most didn't come from unemployed or part time college students. Probably not from most blacks since they are in the lower pay index. Oh if I guessed i would say probably from corporations and lobbyist like John McCain has. I believe in public financing and free air time donated equally from the media. That way you keep it honest.. If you Obama thinks he is getting that much money from the people I mention above and most liberals you are living in fantasy land.

July 10, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. JS

so.. John McCain only raised 20 million in June.. is that the point of this story?

July 10, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Herman in LA

The lobbyist are really starting to pour it on now...

I have just up my donations to $100 per month...

Go Obama...

July 10, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Bill

Because Obama opted out of public financing, why not give his 85 mil allocated for this purpose to a third party candidate? The American people deserve a third choice, especially fundimental conservatives. Bob Barr should have access to that 85 million as he is the one candidate that has a strictly conservative interpritation of the constitution. He provides a great contrast to the two candidates and will be a viable choice for many if his campaign gets national recognition.

July 10, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Saad from NJ

Can you give me only a half a mil, please. Ok, I will live with only a quarter. That will help me get over the stupid mental recession. I need to get out of it so please..... with a cherry on top.

July 10, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. AREYOUFORREAL

I'm getting ready to donate $25 to OB and $10 to DNC.

July 10, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Rob indetroit

Sen. Obama is smart enough to opt out of campaign finance because he saw this coming. Mccain and the rest of the RNC will learn what the clinton's learned, Obama is tougher than he look's.

July 10, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. mike n.d.

so obamas taking it from the unoins talk about lobbyists

July 10, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Peter Simmons

So he's just about to complete the U.S. police state by signing the bill to allow permanent punishment free spying on ALL our communications. Just what Hitler did in 1932/3. We are ALREADY NOT a civilization due to his elimination of Habeus Corpus ( see Socrates /Plato) (O ,I forgot he's never heard of them). By his direct orders , he's already killed more than 4000 of our citizens and countless Iraquis , When's he going to start on the Jews?

July 10, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Relle Boston

And Barack got so nmuch heat for pulling out of public financing. Know look he was right. They do not want to give him his just due.
    Did you see his plain and they call Barack an elitist.

July 10, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. Obama / Clinton 2008

This is exactly why Obama had to opt out of public financing. The RNC has always been well-funded and 527's cannot be contained with their unknown amounts of cash.

John McCain's campaign could be flat broke and he would still have a limitless war chest.

I don't care how much money McNugget has access to, he can't swindle us into voting for his bad policies.

Obama 08!

July 10, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. maximus

I believe.... I feel and I know that this country deserves a president that has a heart that bips, a soul that will guide us to a better future. life is easy... we can do............ anything!!!!!

Obama 2008

July 10, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. AREYOUFORREAL

I'm getting ready to donate $25 to BO and $10 to DNC.

July 10, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Rob

Sure they do its coming from Mrs. Mc Bush's pocketbook

July 10, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. jethro

GO McCain GO

July 10, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. kim

To "jen" -
    And Obama called Americans "bitter", so I guess they're even now.

July 10, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. William,from Cali!

95 million dollars, in the (RNC) ! America, that's enough money; to start a Sub-prime, Mortgage Relief Fund. Something to help-out, the already stressed-out Home Mortgage Market; maybe save a few, "americandreamhomes", from foreclosure; or start a "work program", for out of work Auto salespersons, factory workers, or former Papermarkers; or start a "soup line" for the hungry and the homeless; of which, I may be a member, real soon..............95 million dollars, on a "failed hope"!

July 10, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. John

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO I am opening my check book as we speak for another $100 dollers. Much better then 50% of my check going to taxes.

Hop aboard plenty of room my Obama Sheep

McCain 08 'Change You Can Trust"

July 10, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |