July 10th, 2008

McCain wants to send Gramm to Minsk

CNN

Watch McCain's comments on Gramm.

(CNN) – Just how much distance does presumptive Republican nominee John McCain want to put between himself and the unfortunate headlines surrounding top economic adviser Phil Gramm?

Apparently, at least an ocean’s worth.

Campaigning in Michigan, McCain was asked just how big a role Gramm had played in the formulation of his economic plan – and just how much influence the former Texas senator would have if Republicans held on to the White House. “Is there any chance he would be your Treasury secretary, or play a significant economic policy making role in a McCain administration?” asked one reporter.

The Arizona senator replied that Gramm’s influence might be limited to a corner of Eastern Europe.

“I think Senator Gramm would be in serious consideration for ambassador to Belarus,” joked McCain, “although I’m not sure the citizens of Minsk would welcome that.”

The distance between Livonia, Michigan and Minsk is around 5,000 miles.

Filed under: John McCain • Phil Gramm
  1. Foreign observer

Don´t send him to Siberia, just close his financial account so everybody can see how to solve a mental problem.

July 10, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. FJ from Atlanta

He was once your top economic adviser, now you throwing completely under the bus. Awesome!

Obama '08

July 10, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. Independent-Minded American

Unbelievable! People are losing their jobs and homes, and this guy's making jokes?

July 10, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Lesley

It's too late for all this. He has been advising you ever since Day One when you decided to adopt Bush's tax policies. Is there another shake-up in the offing? Maybe you'll get it right by November. Good judgment, McCain.

July 10, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. JA Cook

So McCain sees a major campaign advisor as best sent far, far away.

Speaks volumes for McCain's judgement.

July 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Roberto

Come on McSame. It doesn't matter which one of your clowns is your mouthpiece. Your message is the same as Bush's and nobody wants to hear it anymore.

July 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

oh please!!! mcCON will be smooching gramm in a few days, just like he did with bushykins!!!

these filthy neoCONs must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone who thinks we are safer with these whackjob neoCONs in office, like bush/cheny and now mcCON, needs to have their head examined by Dr. Phil!! it is pure insanity to vote for this crazy, old, loose cannon.

mcCON has now officially overtaken the shrub as the most clueless and dangerous politician!

July 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Marc PDX

Actually I kinda like what old Uncle Phil said. Look at all the whining on this blog for crying out loud (or should I say, "for whining out loud"?)... Another latte with your whine?

July 10, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. mitchell martin

i'll pay for the flight if mccain goes with him,but,only one-way!

July 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Unempressed

Why not fire him if you don't agree with him? Or "reject and denounce" his comments? (still have yet to do!)

You demanded Obama fire Wesley Clark...

July 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Necie in OKC

He'd not sending him anywhere – and he's not distancing himself either...he just wants us to think he is...Mentally. I'll bet good ole Phil keeps right on advising. I'm soooo sick of silly old white men. Its time to retire and get some young blood in the House!

July 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. TonyNJHC

Spitsbergen might be a good choice, as long as he does not cause an uproar with the polar bears.

July 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. TRUTH

Wow, real quick to through people under the bus.
    McCain kids about killing Iranians with cigarettes imported.
    Man, this guy is a mess.

July 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Dusacre

Wow grandpa McCain, you get a temper!

LOL!!

July 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. Last Honest man

Gramm is right. We are a country of whiners and winos

July 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. NickNas

Since McCain says stupid stuff all the time can he go too? wasn't it just a day ago when he said he hoped cigaretts will kill the Iranians? Was HE not speaking for Himself then???

July 10, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  17. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

CNN is being so soft on McCain, If Obama said or someone in his campaign it would run for the next 4 weeks.

July 10, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. John Ret. Air Force

Get on the plane with him and stay there, too, McMutimillioniare. Your perverse sense of humor is getting old. "kill them" with cigarettes, "bomb-bomb-boom" Iran? What Gram said is no joke or mispeak. "nation of whiners" NATION!

July 10, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. DJ in TX

Too funny!! Now that's what I call distancing yourself!! LMAO

July 10, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. DJ, LA, CA

Don't you wish. Too late for that John, damage is done. Why did you have Gramm as your advisor to begin with? Especially considering his cozy relationship with the lobbyists.

July 10, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. Independent

Why is it that I make nine bucks an hour, forty hours a week, and I don't think of myself as poor?

I don't even use government aid or have a roommate. I can make my bills, have plenty of food and gas, and even have a nice large apartment. I even have health insurance. So why is it that I'm doing better apparently than people making four times my wage at the least?

Oh...right...I budget and stay within my means. I don't have credit cards and I don't spend what I don't have. *slaps forehead* I'm so silly that way.

July 10, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. damon

Why is everything a joke with this guy?? We are in a recession and he wants to continue to give these failed tax breaks to the wealthiest americans and corporations that are laying working people off left and right. Then his advisor says something like this?? Is he just old and senile or just out of touch? Or both??

July 10, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. not important

No he does not. He wants to make Phil Gramm his Secretary of the treasury.

July 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. James Hussein, SC

Why do the American people accept this kind of insulting comments from these two arshes?

Yea folks, he doesn't even have enough respects for us to talk about a serious issue as what is going on today.

Yup, this is the man I want in the Whitehouse representing me.

July 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Johnny Mac is bad cheese gone worse

Maybe Phil Gramm can join Cindy somewhere for a few photo-ops while she recovers from her cosmetic touchups.

July 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |