July 10th, 2008

Obama again denies Iraq shift

Obama has spent the week explaining his Iraq withdrawal comments.
Obama has spent the week explaining his Iraq withdrawal comments.

NEW YORK (CNN) –
Barack Obama Wednesday night blamed recent criticism that he is shifting on his Iraq policy on skepticism about the political process.

“I understand why people were skeptical despite that fact that I hadn’t said anything that would suggest I had changed my position,” Obama told donors at a New York fundraiser. “What happens is people are used to seeing promises broken. They’re used to seeing us taking an easy way out. But not this time, not in this moment.”

“So don’t be confused by any reports out there,” he later added. “I will end this war, I will bring our troops home, we will treat our troops with the honor they deserve.”

Obama came under fire for telling reporters at a press conference last week that after visiting to Iraq he plans sit down with advisors and “refine” his Iraq policy.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. larry buchas

Barack hasn't flipped and he hasn't flopped.

He was not for us careless going in but he's about being careful coming out.

GObama 2008!

July 10, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. dan

follow the big government machine lead or you dont get elected.

who really votes?

July 10, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. georgie

just another obama lie. He knows he can't get out of this. At least he starting to act more like an adult......almost!

July 10, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Let the man campaign!!! He knows what is on his agenda! The word, "stupid" is not in Obama's vocabulary; wish I could say the same for Jesse Jackson, the chronic publicity-seeker that HE ALWAYS IS, OF COURSE!

July 10, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. McViagra 3 times removed G. Pa

McGraham has absolutely nothing going so nothing to talk about is hallow so what he does is just make up something at his itty bitty Town Hall's .
    They arrive early as must go round up his Town Hall crowd at near by rest homes .

July 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. Manuel TX

These are the issues on which Obama has changed his position:

NAFTA
    Public campaign financing
    Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act
    Mental distress as a health exception for abortion
    Expansion of faith-based organizations
    Support for ban on handguns
    Opposition to death penalty for the rape of a child

I'm pretty sure that upon his position on the Iraq war and troop withdrawals will also change...or he simply won't follow through.

So all those rallies and speeches...were basically a bunch of BS.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

July 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Ron Seamon

I think that your headline on this piece, "Obama again denies Iraq shift", is a bit misleading. It seems to imply that there has been a shift in policy that is being denied.

I've seen tapes of what Mr. Obama said last year and what he has said now. I can note no discernable difference in policy, nor can I see any difference in tactics. Mr. Obama has always said that he would begin a policy of disengagement and withdrawal whose tactics would be determined by conditions on the ground and the advice of commanders in the field.

Now, it is true that the McCain campaign is charging that there has been a shift in Mr. Obama's policy. So perhaps a more accurate, less misleading headline might be 'Obama again denies McCain charge of Iraq policy shift'.

July 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |