July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Kevin

Not surprising. He was probably backstage teaching our children to speak Spanish.

July 10, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. Puma is Operation Chaos, Pt 2

Where is Hillary in working to retire her own huge debt? I see Obama out asking for money for her. I saw her out asking for money on a regualar (almost daily basis) while she was still campaigning. It's like she went into blackout mode & is waiting to be paid off before she campaigns in earnest for Obama. Maybe Obama's afterthought was truly just that, but maybe her support for Obama is looking like this as well.

July 10, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  3. Susann

Honestly, Obama was focused on what he needed to be focused on and that was letting the people know that he's the one for the Presidency. Raising money for Hillary's debt is like dragging around dead weight. Why don't all the people who backed Hillary and urged her to keep spending her money help her recoup her dollars?

Obama is an excellent leader, an extraordinary man, and will be an awesome President. I'm elated that Hillary is apart of his team because he makes her look way better than how I viewed her during the primaries.

Barack Obama for President!

July 10, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Tom

ZOMG "almost" you say?

pshaw...

July 10, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Bill P

Just more Democratic "Unity", Kinda like the FISA voting from Yesterday. Maybe Unity is nothing more than a small town in New Hampshire afterall.

Biden (D-DE), Nay ,Clinton (D-NY), Nay, Dodd (D-CT), Nay,
    Durbin (D-IL), Nay, Feingold (D-WI), Nay, Harkin (D-IA), Nay,
    Kerry (D-MA), Nay, Leahy (D-VT), Nay, Levin (D-MI), Nay,
    Reid (D-NV), Nay, Schumer (D-NY), Nay,

Obama (D-IL), Yea

July 10, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. Rob

Before PUMA starts tearing the blog up, I can't help but wonder... if he's not getting any more support out of helping Hillary, why should he? Politics is not about altruism; she's in debt because she used the money to feul her attack machine against him. Now when he tries to help her all he gets are middle fingers. Maybe it's time he left her to her debt and move on.

July 10, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. paul

Ah, how ego gets in the way. He needs Hillary as he needs Rev Jackson. The fact that he threw it in the end of his speech as he was walking off the stage, halfhandedly has me still rethinnking whether he willl be my choice.

AND why aren't we talking about WHY Rev Jackson made the comment and less about the fact he said it. Does he have a valid point? Lets switch the "ooh poor Obama" rhetoric and get to the bottom of the issue.
    Why is it not OK to go against the president's views and be called UNPATRIOTIC and now to go against Obama and be called DIVISIVE?!

Please! Step up and allow free speech either on the mic or behind it.

July 10, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. Donna Hughes

I don't think Obama forgot Clinton. I think he was just slapping her in the face. I don't think he would have forgotten that as he doesn't seem to forget any thing else. Just wanted to make a dig at her the ame way he brushed her off during the campaign and made another gesture toward her. He thinks he doesn't need her or her supporters. I think he is wrong!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. h sutherland

This shows how irrevelent the Clintons are to his campaign.

July 10, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. Pat Swiney

I will be voting for Obama (unless he picks Hillary as VP).........but I have not donated to his campaign until I know his choice.
    There isn't any way I feel we should help pay her campaign debt. Most of that was incurred after everyone but her knew full well she couldn't win. The fact that she chose to go on stubbornly in a game she couldn't win and refused to leave the playground isn't our fault.

July 10, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. ABG

I really think there is something not quite "right" about Obama.

Forgetting why he is at the fundraiser. Is that like forgetting there are 50 states not 57?

If Hillary is not his VP, 18,000,000 voters will want to know why not!

July 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. NC Man

he forgets about everyone that he steps on to get to the top...

July 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. Chris from NY

No one forgets the Clintons. You just remeber them at the last minute.

July 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Binh

lol Poor Hillary..

July 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. gg

Why in crap is she lowering herself to have him plead for her? I would file bankruptcy before letting HIM grovel for me. He makes me absolutely ill!! I cannot stomach Jesse Jackson but I think he has hit the nail on the head regarding BHO.

GO McCAIN!!!

July 10, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. Gene

The biggest news story of yesterday and today was the FISA Senate vote and the Jessie Jackson remarks. CNN does not have one story on either of these subjects today. Make you wonder about the news media and their "love affair"with OBama. Suggest that the viewers go to "Puma" or "just say no deal" and you will get the facts.

July 10, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Andrew

Can you blame the man! He is busy trying to raise funds for his own campaign for President of the United States. I am so sick of the media looking for anyway to drive a wedge between Obama and a very important constituency, "women."

July 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. Ted G

You guys are amazing, it is not Obama's responsibility to pay Hillary's debt. Why doesn't anyone ask that take personal responsibility and pay her own bills with part of the $109 millions dollars her and Bill made.

Also, why doesn't CNN report stories like the one from McCain top economic advisor to the Washington Times and his ties to the mortgage crisis with foreign banks?:
    Phil Gramm: Recession Is "Mental," America Is "Nation Of Whiners"

July 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. Chanda-Cincinnati

CNN...CUT IT OUT! QUIT PANDERING THESE NON-CONTROVERSIES TO THOSE WHO THRIVE ON ANYTHING THAT CAN BE TWISTEED INTO THE SMALLEST HINT OF NEGATIVITY. AT LEAST HE IS HELPING HER TO DRUM UP MONEY FOR HER DEBT!! I DON'T THINK ITS HIS RESPONSIBILITY. NO OTHER CANDIDATE LEFT THE RACE 32 MILLION IN TH HOLE. GO FIND SOME REAL NEWS TO TELL US. DEMOCRATS STOP FALLING FOR THIS CRAP. DIVIDE AND CONQUER...EVER HEARD OF THAT!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. natalie0

I think that as almost a nominee for president Obama should be focused on his people. He shouldn't have his head in the right place!

July 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. KiloWhiskey

There you go......it's a case of "Mrs. Who???" He twists the knife!

July 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

I watched this live on CNN.com. I'm glad he came back but I know he's going to probably get slammed for it today by all the SUPPOSED Clinton supporters.

July 10, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |