July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

sounds like a stoner!! " what was i saying " Just kidding .

looks like he was more focused on himself than the party.

July 10, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. Nikki, Florida

At least he's trying to help her...and he gets no appreciation, just a bunch of lip service from crazy PUMAs, who don't know in from out.

July 10, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. Andy J, NY

Can i just remind everyone that at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, Benjamin Franklin was 81.

I;m not saying McCain is Franklin, by any means, but it goes to show that age doesn't mean all that much.

I couldn't post this on the article about age vs. race, so i try again here.

July 10, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. Clark Kent

If someone sqwanderd $$$ on attacking me, I might forget to ask my supporters to pay it off as well!!!!

July 10, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. David

honest mistake, keep on keepin on Barack!

July 10, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  6. kevin

I guess that's all we need to do, hold a conference and ask for cash to get out of debt. Thanks for the tip.

July 10, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  7. southerner

What a surprise. Obama only thinking about himself! How does this differ from anything else he has done this year?

July 10, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. Florida loves Obama

Now if only Clinton supporters could ACTUALLY support her and respect her wishes, instead of being bitter.

July 10, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  9. georgia

As an Obama supporter I feel it's not his concern just as her supporters feel he is not her concern. She created the debt financing a sleazy campaign (including literally buying votes ) & now Billary & their vigilantes act like Sen. Obama owes them something & he absolutely does not !!!!
    No HRC VP !!!!
    NY drop her in the next Senate race !!!!

July 10, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  10. CM from NYC

This story made me chuckle a little bit. It is funny because I don't remember any election in recent history where the winner pays the runner ups debt. Now granted this is like no election in recent history but it seems like a good portion of Clinton supporters feel it is Obamas obligation to make sure Sen Clintons debt is retired. Frankly if the outcome was different and Hillary won would she put in the same effort?

I won't say one way or another if she would or not because it is moot point..The point is. Even up untill the very end Hilary touted her 18 million voter number...if each of those 18 million voters just donated $1 she would be in pretty good shape. She now truely is part of the blue collar american voters she "identifies with"....up to her eyeballs in debt and expecting those who ARE doing well for themselves to bail her out. I am all for unity between the waring factions at this point but please lets not EXPECT Sen. Obama to do much in the way of retiring Clintons debt..It is what it is...a gift of good will and nothing more.

Obama 08'

July 10, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  11. tony

Jesse Jackson didn't forget Obama-
    This is all a show-
    Political-nothing about change except that's all that will be left in your pockets if he's elected-

July 10, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  12. Heidi

no no no no no no no no no no no !

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

July 10, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  13. Freddie, La

Why is this news worthy? This is just another attempt, in my opinion, by the media to cause un-necessary division between the Obama and the Clinton supporters. Because now people are going to take this and draw all sorts of ridiculous conclusions. I am so glad to know that the American people are much smarter than the media gives them credit for.

July 10, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  14. Cindy

I really understand that this is Clinton's greedy that made her gone into such depth and if I may ask; where were she expecting to pay the money from then?

July 10, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  15. J. McKinney

Forgot her, huh? That's great. I fully intend to "forget" him in Nov., UNLESS she is vice president. then I think I can hold my nose and vote for him. If not, I am still trying to decide whether to go for McCain or to stay home.
    WE NEED HILLARY'S EXPERIENCE!! I am still praying people will see how weak Obama is, and vote Hillary in as the Democrat nominee for President in August.

July 10, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  16. Gq

After all they had said and done, Obama has the odesity to rise above all that and forgive the Clinton's personally and financially.

Now that's what you called Character

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  17. J. S.

He's so wrapped up in himself–How could he forget! Clinton can help him win

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. joyce

Ask her screaming,rude and nasty followers to pay it, I wouldn't give her a cent!

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  19. J. McKinney

Yes, indee dee. My comment is always awaiting moderation, so I don't know if it is posted so others can see it or not.

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  20. Kris

wow, who cares....

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  21. dave g, minneapolis

oh, now she's not looking to recoup her portion. Why didn't she make this clear early on? She probably would have garnered more support and contributions had she.

Guess you can't blame her for feeling entitled to her money back. But for me, she invested in herself and lost. Oh well, that is how things sometimes work out in America. Investing in a college education may or may not pay off. You just don't know, but having the expectation to have it all paid back is unrealistic.

July 10, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  22. robb

Thats understandable. He is asking his supporters to pay off her debts knowing that a large number of her supporters are unlikely to reciprocate with donations (the root of the problem) or votes.

July 10, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  23. don

Wow am I the only one who thinks Obama is going to really come off as disengenous to clinton fanatics. "You know the drill", isn't much of a sales pitch.

July 10, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  24. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

He should alltogether forget her, she arrogantly, comptentousoy and desideously, pump money into her lost capaign just to hurt Obamas' opportunities. She knew she could not win the nomination, the numbers were forthfully against her. So what are we talking about here . She tried to sell him and make him carry the money, but she failed. Imagine her campaign manager at her last campaign speech, introducing her " and here is the next President of the U.S". when Obama, had clinched the nomination with more than the 1125 delegates needed. like someone asked, "where are the 18 million Hillary supporters"? At the small rate of $1.50 each, is more than enough to clear her debt, they voted for her, let them releave her, besides she and hobby made over 100 Millions this year and she wants to go Scott-free. I think not, let her pay for her irresponsible and arrogant spending in spite of Obamas' success.

July 10, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  25. Andrea in Fl

This is not surprising. This man is losing his luster... and his supporters and it's his own undoing!

July 10, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |