July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Jen

Wait, and this is news? So. Anybody can forget. I am pretty sure he did not do it on purpose. I guarantee many in the media have forgotten things. His agenda is very hectic I must imagine. He is a human being he will forget things. I just can't believe the media makes such a big deal of everything.

July 10, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  2. Adam

If you want Hillary to go all out when campaigning for you Obama then you better be more convincing. Your not fooling anyone. Its obvious that you don't care about her debt, you just want to do the bare minimum so that she's forced to campaign. Your supporters aren't going to help Hillary out if its just a PS. at the end of a speech. I liked Obama during the primary process but the man has just become a trainwreak lately. How did we end up with such awful choices? McCain doesn't know much outside of foreign policy and Obama has pretty much become the biggest snake politics has seen in a while. Its depressing.

July 10, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. Cheryl

I have yet to figure out why Obama has to beg for Hiliary. Something doesn't fit. If she couldn't manage 23 million, I'm still trying to determine how she thought she was going to solve the mortgage crisis.

July 10, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. Bridgette-PA

Let's all unite and help Hillary with her debt. Helping Hillary will also help Barack Obama be the next POTUS! Dem's unite!

OBAMA / SEBELIUS -08!

July 10, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Patman

This is news? I see CNN still stands for the Clinton News network! You are becoming almost as much of a joke as Fox (so called) News!

July 10, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. Obama '08 - NO And NO And NO

What forgetful idiot. Just like he's forgetting his focus should be on the state of our nation.

July 10, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. JDM

I felt, the day Hillary step down, the power of the platform and the pulpit would never be hers again.

Iran is shooting rockets, 1K jobs lost, gas and oil going up, people are losing their homes.

Jane and Joe Q Public have a lot on theirs minds.
    Should I help a Very Rich Lady ($109 Mil.) paid off her debt ($20 Mil.
    20-109= 89 Mil. or do I buy gas, food, shoes or health care?

Welcome back Sen Hillary Rodham Clinton, your a Senator again.

July 10, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. Aaryan Schubert

This scum bag will get us further down into oblivion. I so fail to understand why can't people see right through him and see the wickedness that lies within? We as a nation have gotten so terribly blind. What a pity!

July 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  9. Linda

Shows that his heart isn't really into helping Mrs Clinton. I wonder what other promises his heart isn;t really into...

July 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  10. akman

obama is a greedy loser who is using clinton – no wonder no clinton fans like the bitter man

July 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  11. Rev. Dennis Drake

Hillary Clinton is a member of the Bilderberg Group as her husband an I wouldn't give then one penny. Evil People who will face God some day

July 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  12. MJ

It does not come as a surprise to me that Obama is only looking out for himself. Hillary has asked her supporters to help Obama's camapign and this is how he repays the favor.

July 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  13. Carlie

Almost got suckered with her as Prez. Clinton is another Bush! Phew, close one!

July 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  14. Laura

I don't buy for a minute that Hillary isn't looking to recoup her own money. Are they kidding?

July 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  15. Neutral

Hateful comments by Hillraisers in 5...4...3...2...

July 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. Kathy

I'm sure Freud would love that incident; Obama would LOVE to be able to forget Clinton! Concerning her debt, if her 18 million supporters would give a measly $1.00 it would cover her debt, so where are they?

July 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Eileen from Maine

You forgot to mention that the donation cards that Clinton had her staff distribute had the HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT Logo. Pretty disrespectful for somebody who is trying to get the taxpayers to pony up and bail her out from her own fiscal mismanagement.

Obama was generous to say that if he had lost he could have ended up with some debt too, but the reality is Obama never spent more each month than was was donated to his campaign. He was always very respectful and responsible with his campaign funds.

I know the former Hillary supporters don't want to hear it, but please question how spending more than you have and then expecting somebody else to bail you out is a qood quality for the leader of this country. Isn't that the same problem we have now with Bush?

July 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  18. HRC3655

Somebody needs to tell Sweetie that his act just doesn't work with Hillary supporters. Glad to see that CNN is finally reporting some of dislike of BO by Democrats....we tried to tell you earlier that we will not switch our support from Hillary!

July 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  19. Don

CNN please stop posting these insignificant stories. Do important documentaroes. I got an idea for you. Like how some of us are fooled that if you go to college you are in a better chance to get a good job and u end up wking in a job that u hate being supervised by an incompetent high school graduate. Go across America and ask mostly state employees i bet u have a good piece of work. Do that.

July 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Rob from California

I am not surprise it all, if he becomes president he may forget about you/us also, it is a sign people.

Clinton/Obama 2008

July 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. Kevin

Why should Obama supporters pay off her debt? She treated him like crap.

July 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. carolflowery

well. you just had their next meeting televised from new york, so this one is dead in the water before it begins

July 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  23. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

You know, I think that intelligent people, really are not that intelligent at all. I does baffle me how Obamas' poor choice of words, i.e, "people are bitter and turn to church and guns", this is going to hunt him thru the campaign. Allowing his children to be interviewed on TV. gross mistakes. First you do not put your children in harms way, no way. Michelle's been proud for the first time in her adult life. His defending the Wrights bad mouthing of the U.S. Been intelligent afford you with a lot of better ways to express your thoughts, to think and analyze what you wish to convey and most of all to make sure that your speech reaches everyone regardless of schollar education and apparently he is not using the tools of his trade very well at all. Because one misstep after the other, now he seems to be changing what he stood for during the primaries. However I am for him, I feel that I must express what I see, hear and witness thru his campaign.
    He best not seat and start counting his chickens before they hatch.

July 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  24. Northern Michigan

She should have managed her money better. No one has donatinon cards for me under their seats if I screw up.....

July 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. Len, Colorado

CNN: I believe there are more important items to discuss than this story. Why are you always trying to damage Obama and let McCain off the hook?

July 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |